Transformers Movie High = Selling off the Collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by XJunky, Aug 3, 2007.

1. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I've noticed on these boards over the past month that there have been a lot of people selling off their entire collections. eBay has also had a huge surge of transformers on sale (granted, a lot of those are movie toys) with people stating that they are offloading their collections too.

Do folks think they'll get a premium on their figs now, and then plan to buy back a bunch of them when the hype dies down? I must admit, I've been considering selling a few of my figs that are commanding higher than usual pricetags, but I just can't bare the thought of not being able to glance over at them during the work day.

I've only been on the boards a year and a half, so maybe I just been to the Junkion exchange enough, but does anyone else agree?

~X

2. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I think were just on the lip of a tsunami of transformer-mania, with the success of the first movie and the likely hood of a sequel and threequel lol, by the time the second movie hits the market will be flooded with toys representing the movie francise, people who become part of the fandom because of the movie, or their love for the franchise is rekindled by the movie.. will reflect on the toys that led them to this point and consequently will want to own a part of that legacy so i think you will see the demand for the original G1 toys seriously head on the upswing by the time the second movie hits. For people who believe that the hype will die this is an excellent time to keep an eye on markets like Ebay and watch for the eventual fluctuation in demand for these toys.

3. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I agree with most of what Jinrai said, but also take into account that the usual price plateau for a lot of the more recent (pre-movie) TFs such as the MPs, the most popular Alts, and specifically Titanium G1 UM have gone up significantly because of the movie and are unlikely to cool down for a long time to come. In just a few months the movie did for the price of the toys what years of selling and reselling would have eventually accomplished. The prices that these toys command now, coupled with the effect that the franchise will eventually have will make buying back the heavy hitters that much more difficult.

On the other hand, if you have a bunch of stuff MISB that you dont particularly care for now's the time to unload it.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Actually, Im pretty sure Titanium Magnus' high price is due to the whole thing with retailers not wanting the Titanium line, and so Magnus' wave was released to very few stores.
    This meant he was in fairly limited supplies, and people were unwilling to pay the scalper-esque online prices, so he was in fairly high demand for a lot of people.

Limited supply / Huge demand - scalping = Getting expensive

5. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

I just bought a Titanium WW Megs for 6.75 but the shipping costs 8.40 so it's a wash...

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yup that's the case for those last few waves of 6" tits, and G1 UM is the most popular of them.