Transformers Movie Game Sells 3.3 Million Copies in NA/WE

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by REDLINE, Apr 11, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    www.next-gen.biz has posted an article outlining the top 100 selling video games of the last 12 months. The article uses NPD data, and the sales figures only include North America and Western Europe. Even so, the Transformers Movie: The Game sold 3.3 Million copies.

Original article link.

2. King_Grimlock

King_Grimlock Well-Known Member

This game did nothing but make me mad! Between a hundred crashed blocking you from you objectives to the two second time limit that you had if you got knocked out of an "arena". The worst part was that I had 84% with the last decepticon level to finish and the machine froze while it was saving. Once it was rebooted, the save was corrupted!

3. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    too bad the game was super easy and could have been better. very rushed and the destruction modeling and physics need major work. you can destroy the lower half of a building and not the top half?

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Is that number high?

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It was fun, but has no replay value. If they'd put multiplayer in, it would have been better.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yep, for games today that quite high, I think most games would be happy with sales in the hundred thousands, let alone millions.

But we do have to remember that figure is over 6 systems (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, PSP, DS?) so maybe that figure isn't as impressive as it could be. (Halo 3 has sold over 8 million on one system).

But even so. 3.3 million sales is perhaps 3 million more than it should have... I mean this game appeared to be blatently rushed out in time for the film. I wish so much they had the balls to stand firm against pressure and release it in time for the DVD or something.

7. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That game was poo. :( 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope that they take the time between movies to really get the game going, I mean, its obvious that its going to make them a lot of money, so they should give it a higher budget.

9. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Even so, that's a remarkable amount; comparing it to Halo 3 isn't really fair, as very little can compare to that sales behemoth. Being the 16th best-selling game of the year is a massive achievement, especially for a game that, from all accounts, wasn't very good.

Shows that licenced games still have that bulletproof pulling power; is it any wonder they keep churning them out?

10. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am so mad I paid retail for that game on the 360. The robots were cool, but the physics and environment sucked.

I am hoping they take a page from Spiderman 2 and make the game more open and have bigger arenas/free roam.

11. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

I was very dissapointed with this game. Clunky controls, annoying cut scenes, poorly thought out and illogical mission structure and the graphics werent even that great. IMO this should be thrown on the pile of crap movie tie-in/cash-in games.

I sold my copy on e-bay a week after buying it and can honestly say - it is the worst game I have bought in a long long time.

12. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot i CrEePy YoU oUt!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shame it sold so much, even though 3.3 Mil on 6 systems is not what I would consider selling "well".

13. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    That is awesome its such a great game!

14. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I liked the game, but it could have definitely been better.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    this kind of news just makes me hate the world. this trash outsold sooooo many great games.

16. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

The ONLY reason that this game is still in my house is the fact that I collect everything that has the Transformers name on it. If it were any other licensed character, I'd have thrown it out a long time ago. Some of the levels are just too easy, some are unreasonably difficult to navigate, and the character controls were just plain retarded. My version is for PSP, so maybe I'm missing out on something with the bigger consoles, but Transformers the game was $30 that I could've spent better elsewhere.

I'd even go as far as to say that I like the old Armada PS2 game better.

17. Lunar_Convoy

Lunar_Convoy Special Ops Captain

Isn't amazing how a bad game can sell so well because of the licensing title? I mean look at 50 Cent bullet proof. As Transformer fan and as a gamer this game was pure and total crap. Sure the graphics were nice, and the transforming animations were cool, but the guns your TF had equiped on him were absolutely useless! Serriously, in boss battles and even in most drone fights each enemy had some sort of deflector shiled in which your ranged attacks did nothing, so your only option was to run up to them and hit them with the same damn melee combo that you use about another 1,000 times throughout the rest of the game.

If you're gonna do something that relies heavily on melee combat, at least through a variety of moves you can do. Yes I know each character had their own unique melee attack and some sort of guard breaker but that was the only combo they had.

I beat this game with the cons first, and after seeing the movie I had no desire to complete it as the bots. I didn't care about the G1 skins. Most of them just changed the character's colors (Like Starscream and Jazz for example). Even though they made G1 models for Prime and Megatron, they still played exactly like their previous selves, Megs instead of blasting a huge lazer out of his cannon still shot puny machine gun bullets and missles, and prime didn't even freaking have his gun I've heard. Thus knowing that I felt no motivation to unlock these features.

I was really disgusted with this game, I'm sorry for those of you who enjoyed it, I mean the vehicle controls were tight and flying around as an F22 Raptor and switching into a robot while destroying an airbase is fun and all, they just don't give you a lot of options how to do it.

The only two Transformer games that are actually worth playing IMO is the Transformers game that was based off of Armada for PS2, and the Jappenese Transformers Tataki for PS2. I know Tataki had some flaws, but I gurantee you that you'd have more fun with that game than this one. This game just....blows...

And while I'm at it you'll never believe this but 50 Cent is actually getting a damn sequel to his game even though it sucked! I'm sorry but that just burns my ass when companies just sell out like that and don't take their time with their games, but such is the curse of license games. Isn't it strange though that back in the 90's there were ALOT more GOOD LICENSED GAMES as apposed to today? Don't get me wrong, there were some bad ones too, but I remember playing a lot of good ones. Man..I just hope the Iron Man game doesn't suck because it looks really really cool...but then again so did this game.

Transformers the Movie For Every game console currently available=
    FAIL
    Although I heard the DS game was all right.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Probably because the Armada game was freaking awesome and was a real technical accomplishment for the PS2 hardware.

19. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, the G1 skin shot bullets out of his hands. It was stupid.
    I have no idea why they decided to give the Cybertronians bullet based weapons in that game, even the DS versions have them using lasers.

The whole thing just felt rushed. So many things show that. Hell it's a small detail but they didn't even bother to animate Ironhide using his other cannon for his secondary weapon, he just runs around shooting from one gun. Again, even the DS version did better than that.

It was mainly that awful melee combat that I hated. Not even any unlockable upgrades or new moves.

It takes alot for me to dislike a game, especially a TF one but this one managed it. However I'm not surprised it sold so much, especially with the movie itself doing so well.

20. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

this game was fun especially the decepticon campaign blackout is awsome in the game even though it was kinda repititive after a while but still fun i love the G1 characters