Transformers Movie Enthusiasts - listen up. (re: human actors)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    After reading through a few of the Megan Fox threads, and calling upon some of the eye-rolling that came from the Shia Lebouf thread, I sorta thought this was appropriate.

I'm not certain how old all of you are. I know there are some folks on the TFW boards that are in their 30s, while others are around the age of 13 or 14. Regardless of your age, something has happened to Transformers media that is unavoidable - we finally got our live-action film, and a sequel.

These films featured a flurry of human characters who were integral to the storyline and helped play out the drama. Besides, what good is a giant robot if you're not juxtaposing it with a frail human that could be crushed by said robot?

The actors, their roles now fulfilled, now go back to their lives as actors, which brings with it all sorts of strange, crazy and quite frankly business-as-usual Hollywood gossip.

Now, up until the films were released, pretty much all mainstream knowledge and understanding of Transformers was based on the fact that they were big changin' robots. From a mainstream media perspective, this has changed as a result of the movie - we now have two Transformers films, starring both Transformers AND Hollywood talent.

From this point forward, you will hear about that talent. A lot. Why? Because, regardless of whether you're a casual transformers fan or a die-hard collector, your hobby, a LARGE intellectual property, is now associated with those actors.

In short: YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A SEA CHANGE.

You will regularly see gossip and tabloids splash up news about Shia leaving the club with another guy. You will see Yahoo! news bits show up in the movie forum about Megan Fox kicking a dog by accident (OH! Or was it NOT by accident!? Gossip!) and etc.

You can't change this. This is now part of your fandom.

Just FYI, for some context - go look at some of the Star Wars or Star Trek news sites out there. Those sites report every little juicy bit of gossip regarding Natalie Portman's college activities, Gene Roddenberry's son, whether or not J.J. Abrams is doing another Cloverfield film, etc...and why? Because, at one point or another, all of these people were tied to their respective intellectual property at one point or another AND because, honestly, news is news and gossip is gossip...and people love spreading it.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    BINGO.
    I totally hope people actually read and understand that.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

[​IMG]

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Okay, but can it at least all be confined to a 'What Megan Fox (or whoever connected to the BayVerse) has been up to lately' thread? I don't know if I wanna see a new thread for everything she does, like if she happens to start buying a different brand of coffee than usual, or if she forgets to check traffic before she crosses a road.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    It probably won't be, dude. Honestly, think about it - this isn't just Megan Fox we're talking about. This is roundabout 15-20 actors. If John Turturro (sp?) marries a transsexual, we're going to hear about it - SOMEBODY is going to start a unique thread. If Anthony Anderson gets kicked off of Law & Order for doing coke, again, somebody's going to come rushing in here to start a thread.

This isn't something you can just relegate to a corner and ignore anymore. It's now part of our fandom. It's going to be in our way.

6. McBradders

Yo, I heard Peter Cullen gives out free mustache rides to the ladies :eek: 

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Now that's news. Probably to Peter Cullen. I can see him reading the thread and going 'I do?'. :p 
    My wondering was how small do these 'news' stories have to become before they're not worth making a thread about. For the lesser stuff a catch-all thread for each actor might be less forum clutter.

8. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Another "I wanna change the boards" thread. It's been done, it's been proven to do no good.

I certainly admire what you posted and what you are trying to do, but it's a moot point. The posts will continue and you'll just need to ignore them.

9. McBradders

Eh, I would see your point if we had half the threads here about the minutae of their wonderful lives, but its not. Plus people ignore that shit anyway and post a new thread, making more work for the moderators to keep closing/merging threads. It's not like every other dunderhead made their own "YO DAWGS I SAW THE MOVIE!" even though there was a freaking sticky at the top of the forum :lol 

10. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    If only it were that simple. There's no guarantee that people will obey this or even know that all information should be put in one thread.

11. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Blockbuster offically has the first film listed in the system as "Transformers (2007): Shia Laboeuf"

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Darr? That was exactly the point I was trying to convey!

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Simplicity is beauty. :D 

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Pretty much any time anyone connected to the film makes some statement or interview with the words Transformers in it you are likely to see some sort of thread. So if ILM compares work to Transformers or if Tyrese Gibson compares stunt work to Transformers there is going to be some sort of thread about it.

Right now it will be even worse because it's a long time between films and Hasbro isn't talking about what else is coming out on the cartoon front or toys that aren't movie related so every scrap of news will a thread.

15. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I never understood why some people worship voice actors and/or the live action movie actors at all.

If you want human crap go watch Star Wars, Potter, GI Joe. This is TRANSFORMERS, f*cking huge shape shifting robots kicking ass on screen and that's all I want to see.

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Oh my god, I'm a mermaid!

17. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

Oh god, I'M A MAN!

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Completely agree OWAT.

I just find it extremely funny that generally, it is the people who love the movie also hate Megan Fox and the Beef the most. It's such an irrational hatred of actors just because they're in a Transformers movie, and I laugh and giggle every time.

19. aeligature

aeligature aka zynordar TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf can do no wrong! In Transformers 3, I hope the Matrix transforms Sam into Hot Rodimus Prime (swoon) and Mikaela into Elita-One! Then we can get rid of the other unnecessary characters, like Optimus and Starscream. Maybe we can give Sam and Mikaela fangs, so TF3 can be more like Twilight! OMG!

In other news, no one is forcing you to paying attention to Shia and Megan. If it really bothers you so much to see stories about them, you might want to take that time machine you always wanted back to 2006. It's Hollywood + dumb young actors, people. Expect the worst and the most over-exposed shit you can.

20. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I was thinking this same thing!:lol 

It's not just limited to threads about the actors either, every time there's something even remotely to do with TF there's a thread about it. I mean, how many threads are there for "What do you think of character X?"? Does that mean there should just be one thread for everything regarding a particular character?

Having said that I do think the sightings threads could be divided a little better. I never check them because I'd have to trudge through like 1000 pages to see if a particular figure ever made it to my area.