Transformers Movie: Deluxe and Voyager, who decides?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Moy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    At first I thought that small screen time meant a movie character would fall inder the Deluxe category, and major screen time meant Voyager and even Leader class.
    This seemed to be true when in TF1 Blackout received atleast a Voyager class due to major screen time and also Devastator (aka: Brawl) got several lines, even a Leader one!! While Bonecrusher due to such a quick death, ended up with a lousy deluxe.

So what is the deal with Longhaul? Why did he get a Voyager if we barely got to see him in ROTF?
    Soundwave had more screen time and he got a Deluxe, so why can't Scrapper, Bonecrusher and Rampage also receive the same love, and receive a Voyager class too!

2. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    ....Because there are already way too many other Decepticons at Voyager?

3. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    because

4. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    I think they do it based on a combination of size and screen time. For example Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Skids, Jolt, and Mudflap have a deluxe, Ratchet and Ironhide have Voyagers, and Prime has a Leader class. These figures are all pretty much in scale with each other. The deluxe Ratchet coming out won't be in scale with the other Autobots because they can't shrink a Hummer down to Deluxe size and keep it in scale with the others.

Bonecrusher did get snubbed and should have had a Voyager figure.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Deluxe classes are often THE class of mainline for Hasbro. The class defines the line as a whole, showcasing the best and worst the line has to offer.

Plus, Hasbro most likely tries to keep characters kids might like reasonably affordable.

6. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, if we're talking vehicle modes, the Deluxe will be slightly closer to scale. Although it will be a case of one's too big, one's too small, neither are quite right. But Voyager Ratchet is nearly to scale with HA Bumblebee and Leader Prime.

7. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Eh, if you are basing it off of the Sam figure it is because he is way too small for HA Bumblebee. He is actually closer to scale with the deluxe Bumblebee.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a whole lot more complicated than just deciding who has screen time. The size of the character, type of alternate mode and how many others are being made at a given scale at a given time all also factor in. There's the case of "we can't make another tank right now, we've got two more coming out in the next two waves". There's also the fact that stores want things by size classes and there are only so many spaces per case, only so many waves per year in terms of production schedules, and what this boils down to are a limited number of "slots" across the series. Sometimes there are just not enough slots of a given size class to fit characters in.

Also, don't forget people need to afford these things. Sometimes, Deluxe works best for the most prominent / popular characters because they are affordable.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep in mind they can only do so many voyager toys and have to space them out between the bots and cons.

10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's out of scale with the HA Bumblebee, but he is also still closer to scale with HA Bumblebee. He's much too big for DLX BB by far.

11. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    This all very much the truth. I just wish back in the 2007 line they had decided to make Blackout the leader instead of Brawl, but alas, I'm :horse: 

12. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As well, I imagine Hasbro seeing the script would affect that Brawl wound up with the leader class. Bonecrusher's entire apperance could be a paragraph of the script, and Blackout a page.

But Brawl? Brawl was a centerpiece, with the final battle constantly having autobots/humans surrounding him, blasting him, him getting up again, etc etc.

It's half the reason I think Starscream is finally getting a Leader class this film. As much as he's a fan favorite and important decepticon, he didn't "do" as much as Brawl did in the film (to the autobots) to say "I want THAT".

13. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:

I don't know though, man. Maybe I'm just biased being a HUGE Blackout fan, but the opening of the first film was probably one of the more awesome 5 minutes out of both films. I mean, Blackout just flat out laid waste.:bay 

14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Mixmaster received a Voyager class which he deserved, so hopefully, but not likely we will get Voyager's for Rampage, 5crapper and Bonecrusher!! :thumb 

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Oh, I forgot, waiting on Voyager Blackout too!

16. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Ummm... There already is one, dude.

17. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

Cause Hasbro rolls that way.

18. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Still seems to me that Autobots are all well scaled and Decepticons are not.

19. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's because of marketing. Characters kids will like will probably fall under deluxe, because they think parents will buy more because they are more affordable. I don't think Hasbro goes by screen time.

I also think they go by character design, and which class will best suit the design. Blackout was best suited for a Voyager class, but Rampage, who is actually closely in scale in vehicle mode, was best suited for a Deluxe mold. Just IMO.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I agree.