Transformers Movie Blu-Ray Cancelled

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Alienbot, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36487

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG each announced today that they will exclusively support the next-generation HD DVD format on a worldwide basis. The exclusive HD DVD commitment will include all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs. Paramount Home Entertainment will launch its exclusive HD DVD program with the release of the blockbuster comedy hit Blades of Glory on August 28th and follow with two of the biggest grossing movies of the year Transformers and Shrek the Third. These three titles alone represent more than $1.5 billion in box office ticket sales worldwide.

"The combination of Paramount and DreamWorks Animation brings a critical mass of current box office hits to consumers with a line-up of live action and animated films that are perfect for HD DVD," stated Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, which is currently the leading studio in domestic box office. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

"We decided to release 'Shrek the Third' and other DreamWorks Animation titles exclusively on HD DVD because we believe it is the best format to bring high quality home entertainment to a key segment of our audience -- families," stated DreamWorks Animation CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We believe the combination of this year's low-priced HD DVD players and the commitment to release a significant number of hit titles in the fall makes HD DVD the best way to view movies at home."

The studios said, "With the rapid increase of HD TV screens in households, and audiences wanting to enjoy the total entertainment experience, HD DVD has emerged as the most affordable way for consumers to watch their movies in high definition. In addition to pristine quality, HD DVD also offers consumers the chance to personalize the movie-watching experience, to interact with their movies and even to connect with a community of other fans."

Paramount Home Entertainment will issue new releases day and date as well as catalog titles exclusively on HD DVD. Today's announcement does not include films directed by Steven Spielberg as his films are not exclusive to either format.

--------------------
    Well I know I'd had to get a player some day, just not so soon.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God I HATE cheaters. Paramount Drops BluRay

Looks like the folks at HD-DVD couldn't take the heat, so they decided to pay Paramount off. Guess I'm stuck with the DVD, because if I am not getting a Blu-Ray copy of Transformers, I am not going to buy a HD-DVD player for one movie.

It sucks when a company's product can't speak for itself, so they have to pay publisher's off to get exclusive rights to certain elements.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=412

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If an exclusivity deal is "paying someone off" then games consoles have been paying people off for years.
    Oh the horror.

4. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Oh well, (moves on).

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is actually huge news, because Transformers will exclusively be available on HD-DVD for hi-def. I was planning on buying a Blu-Ray player (likely a PS3) specifically for Transformers. I refuse to support HD-DVD, so no hi-def Transformers for me.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never said that it wasn't. I think when a company has to strike an exclusive deal, it signifies a lack of confidence in one's product, hense the need to aquire exclusives as an incentive to persuade buyers to look to their product since the product is not selling well on its own.

HD-DVD has a hellova lot of titles that I want, Batman begins being one of them, but BluRay is still outselling them. So what better way to tip the balance? Pay Paramount (publisher of Indiana Jones and now Transformers) to only release movies for them.

It is basically the gaming industry all over again. But honestly, one medium will win in the end, and the best way to see it through is just to let it happen. Though I can't blame them for not just giving up (who would), but paying for exclusivity has never looked good in my book. It shows that something isn't going right and you have to do something desparate to win people over.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I can't understand why anyone would buy an expensive new player for just one movie.

8. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

M-maybe they mean exlusive as opposed to say Bllu-Ray DVD...right? :confused2 

Most of the DVD buying public still uses "normal" DVD's, I'm sure. At least I hope so...

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I wouldn't. I just happened to own one when I bought the PS3, so I'm not going to spend another 300 dollars for Transformers on HD-DVD.

Oh well, now I can get the Wal-Mart exclusive with the prequel :D 

10. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

[​IMG]

WTF!!! This sucks for me, just bought a PS3. Dammit.

Now if Warner Brothers goes HD the war is over. NOOOO!!!

Blu-ray is better than HD. Crap.

Damn Microsoft and there lots of money. Bought them out eh. Sony now needs to buy out Warner.

I think I am going to officially boycott Paramount, like I have Universal.

11. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

^^^^^ I sure hope so.

12. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    @)%*@)*%! Paramount.

I'll just get Transformers on regular DVD then. All that beautiful work done by ILM...God Dammit. If anything, this is one movie that NEEDS to be on BluRay. Idoits. I hope their little deal fails. TREMENDOUSLY.

13. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Glad I have HD-DVD then.

14. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Thats been my plan. and then every movie AFTER that I'd get in hi-def. I've held off on a lot of big DVD releases lately knowing I'll just want them in the better format as soon as I get the player.

15. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, that's a bummer. I prefer Blu-Ray over HD-DVD any day. For some reason Blu-Ray just has a lot more to offer when it comes to interactive menus and such. :(  Ah well. Guess I'll be getting the HD version.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Hehe, this may be a little taboo, Joe, but... I own Serenity (legally) and I'm buying the extended edition tomorrow, so I'm paying my dues, but since it only exists on HD-DVD, I downloaded the 720P version and converted it using the PS3 HD AVC codec, so owning TF on HD will still be possible, though not as nice as owning the actual disc.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That settles it -I am buying the 360 HD-DVD player.
    Format wars suck!

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That is pure bs in my opinion. Yes, more and more people are using HD quality stuff, but, the majority of people still use normal DVD (some even still have/use VHS players). I'm hoping this just measn that they won't be supporting Blue-ray and just use HD for the higher up stuff, but, the way that article reads, they're getting rid of normal DVD's for good.

Edit: Reread it, and realized that it will still be on normal DVD. I just hope I'm able to get the Target Exclusive one (the one that will have the animated prequel) on a normal DVD. Which one is going to have the bit that sets the stage for the sequel? I rmember hearing something about that.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

It will fail, because despite their previous efforts, BR is still outselling HD.

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I never said I was going to buy just that movie. But that's the movie that was going to make me get one.