Transformers Movie Adaptation Review with Detailed Summary

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    With just over 3 weeks until the advanced screenings of the live action Transformers Movie, IDW Publishing has released a comic book version depicting an adaptation by Kris Oprisko with art by Transformers comic book artist Alex Milne. Although this book is being released weekly starting today throughout the month of June building up to the release of the Transformers Movie on the afternoon of July 2nd, the trade paper book version is also now available in book stores. This full TPB is what I will be reviewing here.

Detailed Summary:
    Do not read on if you do not wish to be spoiled! The beginning of the book begins with the Allspark arriving on Earth one million years before the dawn of man, then quickly flashes forward to 1897 where Sam Witwicky’s great Grandfather discovers Megatron in the Artic. The story fast forwards to present day to the scene that we have all seen from the trailer where Blackout lands on the military base in the middle east. He transforms and infiltrates the military’s computer network. A group of solders take a picture of him but instead of wiping them out himself he drops Scorponok into the sand to covertly go after them. Scene changes to Sam quickly putting his great Grandfather’s stuff on Ebay, then Sam going car shopping with his Dad which we have also seen through the previews where he goes to buy Bumblebee. Sam decides to use his new car to try and pickup, and succeeds with Mikaela. On Air Force One Frenzy happens to be on board and hacks into their network while uses flying saw blades to cut through the secret service. At the Witwicky house Sam sees Bumblebee drive away and calls 911 thinking his car is being stolen while chasing after it on a bicycle. He then sees Bumblebee transform for the first time. Dogs start chasing Sam and Bumblebee chases them away as the cops show up. Meanwhile Air Force One has touched down giving Frenzy the opportunity to meet up with Barricade. They found the Ebay auction for the Witwicky artifacts and start looking for Sam who is telling the Police that his car transformed. They think he’s hopped up on goof balls. Back in the middle east the solders get attacked by Scorponok so call in an air strike to take him out. Sam soon finds his Camaro has returned. “It stole itself, it walked, and now it’s back!” Sam takes off on his bike and Bumblebee follows. “It’s trying to kill me! I think it wants my soul!” Barricade arrives and Sam asks for help think it's a real police car, but instead transforms and asks him where his artifacts are. “Are you username Hotstud 217?” This is the trailer scene where Barricade gets in Sam’s face and pins him against the car. Mikaela who followed Sam gets caught in the middle of Sam trying to flee. As Barricade is coming after them Bumblebee sideswipes him allowing the 2 humans to jump in him and get away. Barricade chases them down and unleashes Frenzy on Sam. Mikaela comes to his rescue with a hand saw and cuts his head off. Bumblebee and Barricade battle over a cliff with only Bumblebee making it back out. Mikaela asks Bumblebee why he choose such an old form if he reshape into any form so he changes into his updated Camaro mode. They see protoforms falling from the sky as per the trailer scenes and the rest of the Autobots arrive. Optimus Prime take the shape of a truck and transforms. “Do not fear… we will never harm humans. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.” The Autobots are introduced and they explain that the map to the Allspark is imprinted on his great Grandfather’s glasses and that is why the Decepticons are after him. Sam goes home and looks for these glasses while the Autobots look in through his window, afraid of getting in trouble from his parents he sends them away. As he finds the glasses Sector Seven arrives and takes then all away in the interest of national security. They question him regarding his earlier Police report about the transforming car. “Total misunderstanding! I meant it went from being my car to, you know, being my stolen car.” The Autobots intercept Sector Seven, Sam and Mikaela so a government strike force attacks the Autobots, this is the scene where you see Bumblebee being attacked by the humans. “Stop it! You’re hurting him!” Sector Seven takes off with Sam and Mikaela back to their base. Frenzy who had taken a new form as Mikaela’s PDA tells the Decepticons where to find Sam and the Sector Seven base. “Sector Seven located. Follow my signal… and bring my body.” Megatron and the Allspark are revealed to be located in the Sector Seven base and the Decepticons attack. Megatron awakens and Sam convinces Sector Seven to release a captured Bumblebee so they can get the Allspark away from Megatron. The Decepticons see the reunited Autobots take off quickly and chase after them. A huge battle ensues, where the Autobots and Decepticons trash each other. And if you want to know how it ends you’ll need to buy the book :) 

Story/Adaptation:
    Overall not bad of a job, I can’t imagine trying to adapt a 2 hour movie into 4 issues of a comic book being an easy job. It’s obvious that there is a lot lost in translation as is to be expected. If the use of humor that is presented in this adaptation is rampant throughout the movie it will be highly enjoyable. The editing was a little weak in places, (example page 12 and the use of you’re instead of your), but over all the book read through extremely smoothly as there was no break between where issues would have started or ended.

Pencils/Inks:
    Alex Milne once again does an excellent job of depicting a highly quality book. The 2D representation of these highly detailed characters translated extremely well. It’s obvious why IDW choose him as the artist for this book, the only other current Transformers artist to pull off this combination of proper perspective, scale and detail in his story telling is Don Figueroa.

Colors:
    Josh Perez does an excellent job with shading and applying the proper shadowing to the book. The scenes that are dark aren’t muddy, and effects such as the glowing for the robots eyes are rampant throughout. While little things they certainly add to the overall visual enjoyability of the story.

Art Gallery:
    Following the conclusion of the story is the inclusion of an Alex Milne art gallery. These are the covers for the comics that will be released though out the month of June. Some nice Movie poster style pin ups can be found here with my favorite being the first wrap around cover.

Overall:
    Recommended. I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to be further spoiled by reading this adaptation, but I’m definitely glad I picked it up. While I now have a greater understanding of what the plot and story will be about I still feel that there is a lot that can’t be captured in the form of a comic book so have lots to look forward to when I see the advanced screening of the Movie at the end of the month.

DIGG this article? Click here.

[​IMG]

2. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    wow, thats way better than the leaked script from last year and it doesn't spoil any specifics. kudos super megatron

3. mobie1325

mobie1325 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Is it already out worldwide.... coz im from Manila, Philippines...:thumb 

Looking forward to grab me a copy....

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i spoiled myself by picking up the TF the move storybook too.

:( 

5. Tman978

Tman978 Really CHILL!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm not reading anything but, why even post this now? Just for a news exclusive? I probably wont be around for the answer to this.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    because these things come out before the movie and ppl might prefer a review prior to purchasing them and dont mind being spoiled?

please be here. please?

7. transeeker

transeeker PSN: NTPrime

Can I have a link as to where i can buy this item?

8. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  9. Faust

Faust Bring on da wimmens!

Sweetness.

10. Cesium Salami

Cesium Salami Older than Kup!

I found the full paperback comic movie adaption yesterday at my local Toys R Us. It was priced at $17.99, and was among the children's Transformers and SpiderMan 3 books.

11. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

the story is pretty much what i excpected, alittle less action than i thought though, the only robot on robot action before the final 30 mins is bumble bee and barricade, which kind of sucks, or atleast according to the comic that's all there is. i'm liking that the decepticons have more lines and seem to comunicate with each other, that's pretty cool, can't wait to see the movie

12. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Um, that pretty much IS the leaked script from last year. At least the one I have a copy of.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Just finished reading the Movie Adaptation TPB. Seems pretty obvious to me that this thing was written & drawn well before the movie was even close to being finished, so it definitely is NOT a direct adaptation. In fact, there will be a lot questions & criticisms raised after people see the movie and *then* read this since the two do not match. This TPB adaptation is obviously based more on the leaked script from last year than what they changed & updated for the actual film.

14. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    essentially, but it seems to cut out a lot of the generic high school drama crap with the jock boyfriend and what have you. i wonder if **** still dies though

15. Bloodcat

Bloodcat Well-Known Member

I read the first single issue. Compared to the book, its like a Cliff's Notes version honestly.

Its got a Desanto interview which ironically seems to be an expanded one from the TF Club Newsletter, a bad toy photos page (TF newsletter's had more and looked better), a page or two of kid sized locker poster things, and a NICE 2 page Blackout picture in the center of the book.

Honestly if you can get it and don't mind the soft comic pamphlet format, you save 2-3 bucks over the trade (4 times 4 instead of 17.99) and its got all the extra content. Unless the trade version has the same.

But is the comic a must buy so far?

NOPE. Then again, the original Movie adaptation was a total miss outside of pretty pictures too.

If you want a readable format of the movie go buy the novelization instead.

16. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    I picked up the single issue, just checked out the "bonus" stuff.

1) Pullout poster of Blackout (pages 16-17 -- middle of the issue -- looks to be a model of Blackout, not an actual image from the movie)
    2) Autobot Logo Pin-up
    3) Frenzy Pin-up
    3) Interview with Transformers: Movie producer Tom DeSanto
    4) Transformers: Movie toy gallery (Blackout and Bumblebee -- alt mode and robot mode... i think they're the same as the product images on the website)

17. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine this afternoon but I put it on my shelf. I do not want to spoil the movie. I did that with Return of the Jedi when the trade came out for it a week before the movie. Never again as it took all of the fun out of it.

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does the single issue #1 have pages that the TPB doesn't?

19. OperaSingerPrime

OperaSingerPrime SupremeOperaticCommander

POSSIBLE SPOILER

Anyone see the "TFW2005" in one of the panels? It's there... can you find it?

20. ChaoCatcher

ChaoCatcher Anarchist Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just picked up the TPB and read it last night myself. Yep, saw the nod to TFW2005 on what looked like a music/rock band poster in Sam's bedroom. A few other nice visual nods throughout as well, such as G1 Sideswipe & Brawn sitting in Bobby Bolivia's car lot, and a sign/billboard along the highway showing the Ark crashed into the side of a mountain. :D 

I have some pretty mixed feelings about the comic adaptation. Going into spoiler territory here on-and-off, so highlight to read the relevant lines.

First off, it was obvious that it's based on an earlier script draft, but HOW early, is what I want to know. Some glaring things that that stood out and confused me include (spoilers) Keller being a uniformed Army general instead of civilian Secretary of Defense. Was there a much-earlier draft - or perhaps a mid-point draft - where they toyed with making his character full-blown military? Also, there was no follow-up on Frenzy. His head-turned-Sidekick snuck into the Sector 7 base, signalling the other Decepticons to bring his body... which we never saw or heard from again for the rest of the book. Also, Maggie's role in the comic adaptation was reduced to a couple of panels of simple pointlessness. Sure, I can understand gutting her arc in the story for the sake of page-count efficiency, but she was basically cut down to telling Sam in one word-bubble that she caught Blackout and Frenzy hacking into the military defense net, and later having her cell phone swiped by a S7 goon and used as fodder to demonstrate the Allspark's machine-animating power. They could've done this with Sam's cell phone, and Maggie's role in detecting Frenzy's hack was essentially unnecessary. It's stuff like this that clutters an adaptation with useless "filler" and makes it hard to read instead of trying to flesh out the core essentials of the story to make the book flow better.

I will give kudos to Alex Milne's artwork on the TF's. The bots looked pretty amazing in many panels. However, his human characters... ugh. They all had this blocky-jawed, pushed-backed-spiked-hair look that honestly made many of the characters hard to tell apart aside from clothing they were wearing. But I didn't buy this to look at humans (well, Milne's rendition of Mikaela wasn't TOO bad :p  ). I bought it to look at robots - and I was pleased.