Transformers Movie a semifinalist for Best Visual Effects Oscar

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I saw Evan Almighty because Lorelai from Gilmore Girls was in it. I'll chime in and agree that yeah, that last scene is probably about it. I expect that movie will get bumped off at the "bakeoff" in favor of movies with more consistent effects throughout.

Transformers for the Oscar!

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think it's so much the fault of ILM for the fight looking bad as it is the dirctor liking shots that are too tight with shakey cam and lots of dirt in the air to make for a horrible looking shot. If the camera was pulled back more and some of the grit taken out it might have been eaiser to see how ILM handles a fight scene with robots. Oh and maybe a few more daylight scenes as there were just too many night scenes like the Autobots work second shift or something.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Who actually talks like that? I don't think I could take living somewhere that used the word "competish" in writing.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Has anyone seen the newer South Park episode where the Gov't gets movie directors in to help them figure out how to get to Imagination Land and Michael Bay comes in and just starts making explosion and crashing sounds and they go "Michael Bay, those aren't ideas those are just special effects"...Bay goes something like "well I guess I'm not any use to you" and the gov't guys go "I know".

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    boy am I glad Beowulf and Ratatouille didn't make the cut. It wouldn't have been fair to the rest of the class.

6. major revolt

major revolt rogue theory

TF deserves an oscar

I was amazed by the visual effects work , very ahead of its time , i'd compare it to when Star War's came out and changed the industry forever. So ya the story and action seqences are dubious , but other than that it was a blockbuster hit after all the haters before thought otherwise.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  7. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I hope Transformers goes all the way and takes the Oscar. This is assuming, of course, that we even have an Oscar ceremony this year if the writer's strike isn't settled soon. Hopefully, it will be. *fingers crossed*

8. Ash from Carolina

Secretary Of Defense: Those aren't ideas, those are special effects.

Michael Bay: I don't understand the difference.

Secretary Of Defense: I know you don't. (to guards) Get him out of here!

I also like "Michael Bay gets to keep making movies and Cartman gets his own theme park; there is no God." every time I hear that Bay is ruining yet another movie.

9. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Transformers is a clear favorite.

10. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    With the models built for TF, it should have the lead in the oscar race, but the huge budget of POC will prove tobe a tought contender.

11. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    cool

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's that, certainly, but I think the main problem was just coverage. The shots used to comprise the scene. Every bit of action was pretty much covered in one shot, and the template of what was filmed didn't always leave the best framing for what had to be digitally added - like say the shot where Optimus turns around before Bonecrusher jumps at him. That's so oddly framed.

Then you have Jazz vs. Megatron. If it cut to close ups of Jazz during his lines, Megatron during his lines, and different angles to show the action more - rather than all happening in a static medium wide shot, the death would have been so much more impactful. As it is though, it's just kind of stale.

The iffy coverage in itself is a result, I think, of Bay shooting too many things in one day's time. He does more setups in a day than most directors, and I think that leads way to just sort of making due with what's done rather than really nailing the perfect way to showcase something on screen.

OH WELL

13. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers is a lock for sure, as well as Pirates.

Though with the third slot, it's gonna be a toss-up between Golden Compass and 300.

14. Ash from Carolina

True while Bay's energy and drive brings things to a film it also means that sometimes things don't get framed the best way. With any luck the voters will just look at the effects and not the framing of the shot which should give the film a very good shot at the effects award.