2D Artwork: Transformers Mosaic: "The Ghost Train"

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Richter, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Richter

Richter Well-Known Member

The Universe of the Transformers is vast, and populated by many characters. Their universe is a large tapestry, made up of the stories and points of view of countless experiences that serve the larger whole.

These are some of those stories. This is:
    [​IMG]

It should be noted that while this project has been recognized by IDW Publishing and Hasbro, none of the works presented have been commissioned or solicited by either company. The stories are not official canon, except where noted. These stories are the result of Transformers enthusiasts taking the time out of their busy days to contribute to a universe they love. No one has been paid for the production of these stories.

Follow Transformers Mosaic on Deviant Art, Facebook & Twitter

THE GHOST TRAIN

Story by:
    Mario Coleman

Art by:
    Ben Foot

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I not sure I understand... Why did Astrotrain take the guy? What does this add to Astrotrain? That he's a dick robot who can turn into a train that can turn into a shuttle?

The artwork is nice, though. Reminds me of a more stylized form of Marvel's G1 comics.

3. Cryosis

Cryosis Prowler in the yard

Hey arnold reference!

4. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Worst.......Mosaic......Ever

5. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

Its halloween its a ghost story thats why he took the guy its supppsed to go along with halloween you know gohst trains gosht ships and such.....man whey be so hard on the guy it was good

6. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Im sorry its just ive seen way better

7. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Nice for the season!

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I feel like if the abductee had been a McGauffin-skilled-scientist, or the child-of-a-diplomat, or ANYONE other than "random platform conductor," this might have worked.

There's precedence for the TFs covert activities being misinterpreted as supernatural phenomenon (Masterforce Pretenders, for instance), the shot of Frenzy/Rumble grabbing the guy is charming, and it's a great horror-themed storyline for the season, but the MOTIVATION for the characters just isn't there, which leaves the whole thing feeling random and silly instead of cool.

Nice attempt though!
    D/L

9. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Right, Mosaics are suppose to add to who the Transformers are, not just show them doing something without context or explanation.

Well, hell.

If you consider this Mosaic to not be about Astrotrain and instead about humans and their perception of the Transformers in disguise, it's not actually that bad.

I suppose you just need to understand what the focus is.

10. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

Actually i think its quote good and enjoy the artist idea and execution of said idea. If you want to say its poor thats your opinion, however wrong (in my opinion) it may be.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    There really ought to be some type of explanation, even if it was just a panel at the end with Frenzy/Rumble asking Astrotrain why they were abducting random people and Astrotrain brushing off the question.
    Perhaps making the Con duo look more like ghost could help, too. People misidentify frightening things all the time, especially when the event is sudden. Have Frenzy/Rumble look only vaguely like himself and more like a demon and Astrotrain still be train-like while blasting off, with perhaps a monstrous head that "happens" to share similarities with a shuttle's cockpit.
    Y'know, so they're not obviously Decepticons doing random abductions for no reason.

Anyways, I do like the art.

12. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ I don't think lampshading poor writing will help it.

13. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    ^This

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Yeesh, there's a lot of hate. It's not THAT bad, people.

I will say this - I think it would make more sense if it would have been some scientist (Dr. Arkaville before allying himself with the 'Cons, perhaps?) that was captured instead of some Average Joe watching over the station. But other than that, I actually think the idea is great, and I do like the style in which it's drawn.

15. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

...well, I thought it was pretty neat. Looking at the comments was a mistake.

16. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Mosaic isn't that bad. Like the coloring tones in this piece.

Agreed.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I liked it.

18. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

The focus is pretty obviously on the human's perspective, though. The structure of the mosiac deals with the interplay between the human's perspective of what is going on and our perspective of being 'in' on what's 'really' going on. That is why the Station Master's story is told in captions against pictures that show what is actually going on... The train station workers have no idea what really happened, but they have re-contextualised it as an urban legend - a ghost train instead of an Astrotrain, as it were.

The mosiac is very much not supposed to be about Astrotrain doing something that makes logical sense from a Transformers perspective, but rather about giving a setting for a somewhat spooky (it was posted on Halloween, after all) ghost story. The humans in the story think it is a ghost story, even though we, through the art, know it is a Transformers story.

Astrotrains Motivation isn't important because it is not a story about motivations, it is a ghost story told by humans. We as the readers know slightly more than the humans (that it isn't ghosts but rather Transformers) but knowing any more than that isn't important, because it is still first and foremost an urban legend. And as a bonus it does at least utilise traits that Astrotrain is supposed to have, as you pointed out (using his triple-changing to dick with people).

Also it is a big fat Hey Arnold! reference.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Guys, Fan Art is a comments and critique style forum. Members are free to post their opinions of artwork regardless of that member's skill level. Also, there need be no arguments about someone's opinion as long as the opinion stated is civil, and doesn't break board rules.

ALL comments towards artwork needs to consider the artist as well. Just because a Mosaic is posted doesn't mean that the artist isn't posting either - actually, it's typically the contrary as many artists who write and illustrate these pieces do post here. If you have something positive to say, awesome. If you have something that you see needs work, state what it is and how it can be improved upon in a civil fashion.

That's Art Criticism 101. Also, consider our board rules here as well. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please pm myself or another member of Staff, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked it, the Decepticons kidnapping random people isn't unheard of.

They did it a couple of times in G1, remember the episode where Dr. A was using some chip to control humans?:popcorn