2D Artwork: Transformers Mosaic: "Closure"

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Richter, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Richter

Richter Well-Known Member

The Universe of the Transformers is vast, and populated by many characters. Their universe is a large tapestry, made up of the stories and points of view of countless experiences that serve the larger whole.

These are some of those stories. This is:
    [​IMG]

It should be noted that while this project has been recognized by IDW Publishing and Hasbro, none of the works presented have been commissioned or solicited by either company. The stories are not official canon, except where noted. These stories are the result of Transformers enthusiasts taking the time out of their busy days to contribute to a universe they love. No one has been paid for the production of these stories.

For all Transformers news / updates / information, click here

Transformers Mosaic FAQ, click here

CLOSURE

Story by;
    MikePriest83 MikePriest83 on deviantART

Art and letters by;
    Brandie Hanson (ouchimoo) Ouchimoo818 on deviantART

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't get it.

3. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

In Tales of the Fallen Issue 2, Sideswipe and Demolishor are established to have a rivalry similar to that that of Depth Charge and Rampage of Beast Wars (without the "attempt-at-recreating-an-immortal-spark" element).

4. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Is that Sunstreaker melting in the 4th panel ?

5. Blueshift

Blueshift Bloop

This one really doesn't work for me I'm afraid. There's no context as to who the characters are or what is happening, or why they think how they do, unless you've read this one comic apparently.

I couldn't tell who the characters were or what was happening in it. Mostly due to how generic the movie designs tend to me, but it highlights the need for the script to not assume readers know who and what the characters are, and their motivations.

Not sure at all what is happening in the penultimate panel. Due to the Movie designs, my original thought was that someone was getting peed on! (Sorry! Sorry!)

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Well you forget that most Mosaics tend to be one-shot follow-ups to certain comicbooks, show episodes, movie events, etc. So this is nothing new.

I'm sure someone felt the same when they read that Hunter O'Nion Mosaic without ever reading the "-tion" series.

7. Blueshift

Blueshift Bloop

Just because others do it, doesn't mean it should be done that way. There's still a need to make sense regardless of the context of the story it refers to, which the best ones do.

The Hunter one, for example, still tells a story that makes sense even if you've never read any of the 'ations

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suppose, but it is possible to have a linked story that still makes sense to just a casual reader

like this one which I wrote and Metryx did the art and colouring for. Alt Perspective by *Metryx on deviantART

It ties in to an already established story whilst expanding upon the concept.

The story behind this makes sense now that I know the back story, but there are too many panels that don't have dialogue that fail to tell the reader what exactly is going on. It may have worked better if Sideswipe's inner-monologue were displayed for some clarity.

9. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

Wow, this story is really emotive. The fourth panel clearly shows Sideswipe's inner trauma, and the devastation Demolishor caused. I bet Sideswipe would have relished the chance to carve ol' Wheelbot up into a coffee table!

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I think I find myself agreeing with both of you guys here. On one hand, I tend to expect that the Mosaic pieces tie into something IDW has going on already to an extent. On the other hand, they each really need to stand on their own despite that.

I think there are some things going on with this piece that are simply compositional and sequentially related, though. First of all, there isn't a whole lot of action taking place. Also, some of what's going on is hard to make out. I think the plot of the piece is fine, but I just don't think that the minimalist approach is the best one here from a narrative standpoint.

11. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

well, i believe it works well, i mean from the first to the third panel we have a distinguishing shot, letting us know where and when we are, the sillohuete of Sideswipe above Demolisher's carnaged head shows his anger and almost evil against the 'con. The next panel shows why he has that anger quite simply, by potraying a small village og bots dying in front of a darkened image of Demolisher with rockets soaring. The next panel is kind of confusing at first, but after sounding out the onomonopetia its clear he spat on the dead face of, if not his rival/nemisis, someone who he despises and holds a lot of hatred against. And the final panel is the actual closure bit, by showing sideswipe walking away from Demolisher.
    All in all, i find it a great piece.