Transformers More than Meets the Eye #12 Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Peaugh, Dec 19, 2012.

1. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Note sure if picked up on previously.

Mnemosurgery leaves marks only detectable under ultraviolet light, Chromedome pointed out that Rewind was allergic to UV Light.

Methinks he was lying to prevent something getting discovered....

2. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Oh God...this is close to sixty pages...hopefully #13 will be out soon.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Let's get it to 60!

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Oh shit I think you're onto something here!

It would fit perfectly with his search for Dominus! He found out what happened to him, the truth almost killed him so Chromedome blocked that memory to save his mind, and swore off injecting because he had to do it!

And now he wants to keep it a secrect!

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couple of things to keep in mind:

- Combiners are only a very recent entry into the war. Monstructor has been around a long time, pre-dating the war, but he was sealed away and under heavy guard until recent times. Since his release, he's operated more as a rogue agent than a Decepticon. Devastator and Menasor, currently the only two Decepticon combiners (and Menasor is sort of iffy), have only been around since AHM.

- The Decepticons have a lot of powerful people...but they also have a hell of a time keeping their powerful members in line. Shockwave, Thunderwing, Bludgeon and Scorponok all went rogue and started pursuing their own agendas. Starscream and Ramjet also pursued their own agendas with less success. Black Shadow turned on the Decepticons when offered enough money. Overlord took off, rather than be a phase sixer. Six Shot didn't leave, but was tempted. The DJD are powerful and loyal, but they're more focused on going after their own people than fighting the Autobots. And Jhiaxus isn't technically a Decepticon.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh yeah, if you go back enough pages, this was discussed at length. It's definitely pretty suspicious. Most of us were hoping that it doesn't suggest that Chromedome and Rewind's relationship is actually some kind of fraud.

zmog

7. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Pffft. You people and your minimum number of posts per page. Page 15 for me, baby!

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ You can get it down that low? I'm on page 24. I like the longest page length possible though!

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Page thirty for me.

I had no idea you could set the posts-per-page that high.

10. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

I have it set to 40 per page.

11. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^I just did that. :) 

12. SMOG

Me too. I thought I'd maxed it out, but I was on the forum default setting too. :lol 

zmog

13. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

The relationship can totally be "close friends" to the fans who aren't comfortable with anything more.

But given how many times fans play the "THEY ARE ONLY MACHINES!!" card whenever issues like racism or sexism are raised, I don't see why fans should choose this moment to treat the couple as if they're human beings.

14. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can it be Wednesday already? I'll trade the weekend to pass Mon and Tues.

15. SMOG

I think issues like racism and sexism CAN be approached within the Transformers context, but in order for it to be effective and integrated, it needs to avoid the easy parallels and create those meanings WITHIN the context of their being machine-aliens. So while there are things in Cybertronians that we can identify as reference points for human issues like racism or gender, these still exist as conditions that are also unique to their nature as alien robots. So YES.. absolutely CD and RW are "lovers" as far as we should understand their emotional bonds. But we ALSO have to acknowledge that our concept of "love" may not perfectly match the Cybertronian equivalent.

The result of stepping outside these conventional boxes is not only that the Transformers mythos becomes richer, but that it also encourages us to think more about things that we probably take for granted... which is one of the interesting potentialities of Science-Fiction as a genre.

zmog

16. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think there was some kind of software change we missed, cause I had the exact same experience as you. I maxed it out, then that number became the forum default and I didn't notice.

17. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Isn't the "racism" thing being touched upon now with things like altmode prejudice and the M3 Movement? Then there's being forged vs. constructed cold and the old practice of using smaller guys like Rewind as data receptacles and slaves...

So basically, that sort of concept is being explored in subtle ways already. Roberts has done a lot of worldbuilding that way in MTMTE.

18. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not talking about sexism or racism as a plot point, I'm talking about Transformers stories that are perceived as sexist or racist. When people accuse a transformer of being offensively racist, the reply is usually "oh, well, it can't be racist because it's a robot." When people accuse the franchise of having sexist depictions of female transformers or offensive depictions of transgenders, the response is "Oh, well it can't be sexist because they're robots." Following this mentality, Hasbro should have nothing to worry about with Rewind and Chromodome, because these people would naturally say to themselves "oh, well they can't possibly be homosexual, because they're robots."

Right? Right?

I personally don't see anything wrong with Rewind and CD being depicted as homosexuals, but to those who do, why can't they flip on the "it's just a robot" switch that allows them to overlook all the other stuff?

19. SMOG

Ah, I see what you mean. I agree. Yeah, I think that technically speaking, you actually CAN say that: because they're alien robots, they aren't really "gay", in the sense that we understand it. And I've said as much to people who are all "ewwwwww, gay robots!!!"

On the other hand, people who are "well, they're just good friends" are fooling themselves too, because the narrative and symbolic function of RW/CD is to stand for a queer coupling. There's no way to ignore that factor, because it is part of how we are suppose to read them. I think the way that both perspectives are true simultaneously, is part of what makes it so interesting. It forces us to reconsider our labels and what they really mean.

It's like the thing in the news recently about the dog owner who abandoned his young pitbull at an animal shelter "because he was gay"... because he attempted to mount another male dog. The idiot didn't realize that in dog "culture", mounting your male rivals is a way of showing them who's boss. It's normal, but his pathetic, tiny, homophobic little brain just couldn't cope with the idea that gender practices outside of the human race might go by totally different rules.

I think it's sad that to a lesser degree, the CD/RW thing incites similar panics in some fans.

zmog

20. humblebot

humblebot Well-Known Member

Just remember that Tumblr TF fans talk about TFW2005 TF fans with just as much disdain.