Transformers More than Meets the Eye #11 Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wadeledge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm....Where's Eject and why don't he get as much respect as Rewind?

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Back on Cybertron watching robofootball.

3. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    As long as Andy Reid isn't coaching..."SWEET!"

4. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

A fan on Tumblr once pointed out the similarity in looks between one of the doctors working on Shockwave before the war, and the Sparkeater that was left on the Lost Light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could just be a coincidence, but I'd totally buy it if it wasn't.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I actually believe they are... otherwise the punishment would not be so poignant. I mean, if they were in there mucking around with mnemnotech, it's possible that they fudged some memories while they were inverting his personality, but I think he's largely got all his memories. I think that's why when it comes down to it, he's still following the same path, scientifically speaking.

I don't mind more "fembots" that we identify as female. I just think that we can still identify them that way while also acknowledging their neutrality, and the arbitrariness of such distinctions.

Exactly. And it's not just the questions, but the clever answers too. :) 

Nice!

Stalin would have just had them shot, but Megs never lets anything go to waste! :lol 

Oh yeah. I agree that he was still fundamentally a humane character, but very likely on the wrong path. It's possible that had things gone differently, he might still have ended up with the Decepticons, running very similar projects... blinded by science. Just maybe not quite as coldly.

Or maybe he would have become Jetfire...? (metaphorically speaking)

I kind of feel that way about Beast Wars in general, to be honest. I think I've seen that episode all of once, though recently (like 2 years ago).

Well, yeah. I get that. Furman's mess not only was horrible in of itself, but it also made a fine mess of things for anyone subsequently trying to address that content in the same continuity. I guess I just felt as if, by highlighting only those two options, it was suggesting a false binary, when in fact there is a lot of potential in between.

Yeah, well... I guess the T-Cog and it's spiritual cosmology is over-analyzing... and things like Spark-surfing and Decepticon initiation rituals involving carving a badge out of part of your Spark casing... all of that is "excess" too... and it's GREAT. It enriches the fiction by adding colour and strangeness and creative solutions and ideas about TF culture and biology.

And I don't know what you mean by "gendered parts". My point is that there SHOULDN'T be gendered parts, because it's stupid, and often tawdry.

I'm not talking about just explaining the existence of female Transformers, but explaining the presence of gender in Transformers AT ALL. It just so happens that females as they are presented in the fiction are
    A) always the exception to the rule, which privileges them for no good reason, and
    B) over-anthropomorphized, which is sort juvenile... and at worst, sexist.

Apparently you haven't been listening to me, as my points have largely resting on ignoring or doing away with the notion of specialized physiology (ie: sexual difference), and focusing instead on the abstraction that is "gender" (social difference)... how it applies and doesn't apply. But also you seem to be arguing in favour of somehow avoiding addressing any of that, in favour of maintaining some kind of "mystique". However, I don't think that's a mystique worth maintaining. That ambiguity is part of the problem.

Well, yeah. It's not exactly a big revelation. The truth is that this has been a pretty consistent feature of ART since... pretty much forever. Film academics called it "suture" (the methods used to make the spectator feel integrated into the text, particularly in the deployment of visual pleasure) but I think it's more primal than that, and goes back to the core of image making and storytelling as a practice. There is, after all... always an audience.

Add to this that comics have largely been created by men, to be marketed to men (and boys), using power fantasy and sexual provocation as the lowest common denominator. I think this can be pretty distasteful, but I also think that titillation in fiction is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as we understand where it's coming from, and doesn't undermine the work. I think that hypersexualization and unrealistic bodies are the bread and butter of the superhero genre especially. Idealization is fine...but I do agree that there is an imbalance, wherein super-masculine heroes say "you can BE me", while exploited femininity tends to say "you can HAVE me"... and this can be so blunt as to both offend women, and offer a distorted perspective for men.

But we digress... :) 

Yeah, but creepier still, I'm not convinced that some of them might not still be working for the Autobots. After all, between the Institute, Skids, and Agent 113, I'd say there's still a lot of skullduggery going on. Of course, I'm not sure who would be calling the shots now, with Cybertron pretty much reformatted and Prowl and Bumblebee stumbling around like a couple of clueless incompetents.

I wasn't aware that he had actually made any statement on the matter... it seemed like everybody was avoiding the obvious questions. But I agree with him... my reading is the same. It's not a romance in the conventional human sense... but it very much is, in the robot sense. I mean, regarding the above bolded sentence... if that's not love, what is? ;) 

Hmmm... interesting. I'm inclined to think it's just a Milne-ism. A lot of similar motifs do pop up in bots he creates from scratch. But on the other hand, with the labyrinthine nature of the ongoing storylines, I also wouldn't be surprised if it DID mean something. :) 

zmog

6. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    I too think it's just the case of Alex drawing bots similar often! We have enough mysterious plotpoints to deal with already, I can't take any more! :) 

Something else I thought of a while ago, but probably means nothing: Adaptus and Epistemus are the two gods that get defeated and turned into their respective objects, the t-cog and the brain module.

So far we've had one character addicted to t-cogs, which leads to a facility harvesting them. Then we had a story arc about brain modules being tampered with.

Symbolism? Set up for a big plot involving the Guiding Hand later on? Or just no meaning at all?

7. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Well we don't know that much about them so Hmm......

8. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if it's Shockwave that turn Roller into what he is today, as Roller had lots of dirt on him before his new identity and wanted to silence him.

9. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Anyone else want to see what Whirl looked like pre-Empurata?

(anything to get away from this fembot discussion)

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Not especially. For me, I feel like Roberts has wrung all the emotional impact he can out of empurata. Anything more is just letting the subject linger.

11. Meister5

Meister5 Lost Light-er

News Credits:
    That's an interesting idea. I hope we don't have to wait too long before we see more of Roller and his backstory.

I would. I'd also like to see some of his handmade watches. :) 

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Not really. As said, Empurata has served it's purpose for now. I'm not saying never revisit it, but let it go for the time being.

Also, I don't want to ascribe another look to Whirl. He's overflowing with character and personality and it's all tied to his unique look. I don't want that to change.

13. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    He doesn't approve of his brothers lifestyle choices...

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    It has to be a setup for something. As much as I appreciate an alternative to the Thirteen and the Primus/Unicron conflict, it has to be mentioned for a reason.

On that note: This is based on almost absolutely nothing, but I'm starting to wonder if the Quintessons are tied into this. They've been getting a bit of sneaky buildup the past few years, and the looks of the Guidng Hand reminds me of them. That, and the whole 'five from one' thing is sending off warning signs. Maybe it's nothing, but I could see Roberts pulling off a reveal like that...

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I sort of agree... I mean, we know what it is, and what it means, but I wouldn't want to see it become over-emphasized as a dramatic device. And besides, I kind of feel like pre-disfigurement Whirl would just sort of look like, uh... any other Milne-bot, but in blue. ;) 

I mean, I love Alex's stuff. Probably my favourite TF artist to date, but I can't see "old" Whirl possibly having as much personality as "new" Whirl does.

Also... on the subject... Shadowplay. I know it's still important to some of the big plot points, so we're going to see more of that. But I really hope it doesn't become too common in the fiction, and lose its eerie impact. As it is, you know fan-fiction is going to be flooded with Shadowplay backstories now. :p 

Roller is TARN!! You heard it here first! :lol 

(actually I think someone else did say that already... haha!)

Well, Eject is kind of a jock. :) 

Hey, are Eject and Rewind even really siblings? Rumble and Frenzy are, but I don't recall whether that was ever officially stated to be the case with Eject and Rewind. There's no mention of it whatsoever in their original bios.

I wouldn't be surprised at all... there's a lot of hints pointing in that direction (although the Quintessons might turn out to be very different in the IDW G1 Universe). I haven't read Roberts' Eugenesis yet, but apparently the Quints play a role there too.

zmog

16. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I watch The Voice on NBC. Cee-Lo always has the huge wrist watches. A lot of rappers do. If you notice where the lift fans are on Alex's version of Whirl,,,,

I wonder if they BOTH tell time. *bling*

17. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I was [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] at everyone looking at, I forgot who it was, when he asked "What happened to Orion Pax". The look everyone was giving him was priceless[​IMG]

18. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I hope we continue to see more of Pre-war Cybertron. I'm I finally got a good look at Zeta(I wasn't able to get a good look at him Autocracy)

19. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^the spotlights seem to be focusing on Prewar Cybertron staring with Spotlight: Orion Pax this week

20. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The other two Spotlights we know of are flashbacks, but don't take place pre-war. Thundercracker's takes place during the war, and Megatron's takes place after Shockwave and Soundwave rebuilt him during Costa's run.