Transformers MMO?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I've had this idea for such a long time and I really think it'd be great to have a massively multi player game based on the TF Universes, excluding the 2007 movie designs.

It'd have to be different from most things out now like WoW, I think it'd do better as a First Person Shooter as opposed to a click a target and wait to cast a spell/swing swing a sword type thing.

You'd start out as a factionless protoform in a giant ship full of stasis pods and other protoforms, upon being reactivated you're approached by 2 groups. One group is an Autobot Rescue Team and the other is a Decepticon Recon Squad and you are able to choose between the two groups or make a run for it and remain factionless and later you can decide to join a faction of your choice or remain solo if that is your wish.

Features:

Realistic Customization: You mech modes paint job will effect your alt modes color scheme and you alt modes kibble will effect your mech modes design.

Freestyle Battle System: There are no set classes to choose from, no warrior, no spy, no archer and definitely no 'mage'. How you act and think on your feet will effect the outcome of your battles.

No level system: Your TF will get stronger over time, through a mixture of training in certain aspects and upgrades and replacements. There will be no strength leaping by going from level 15 to level 16, it will all be based on skill, parts acquired and how you play the game, remember to use your surroundings to your advantage.

Upgrades: Your basic transformer is just that, basic. Upon exploring and maturing upon doing missions, odd jobs and the like you will be able to gather and/or purchase extra parts used for upgrades. Components such as "Triple Transformation Cogs" can be used to give your TF a third mode but it will also cost him maneuverability and energy efficiency, other parts such as shoulder mounted plasma launcher, cloaking components can also be acquired.

NPC Partners: During your travels you may acquire your very own minicon protoform, feed him parts from defeated enemies to help him grown, give him fuel adapters and he may become able to make you some extra energon, feed him transwarp gate cells and he may be able to help you travel further, feed him plasma bolts and he may become a target master, take care of your minicon as he will become extremely important to you both in battle and as a travel companion.

Ships: During your times traveling the universe and completing tasks you may be able to find and salvage deserted ships or buy your own, go up in rank enough in a major faction and you may even be given charge of your own vessel for free. Ships are good for making long journeys when transwarp gates cannot be used and they will also keep those with flying alt modes from running out of energon in the middle of space. Like mechs, ships can also be upgraded, if your ship is slow add better propulsion, if your ship is weak add armor or weapons but remember your ship will not make you invincible, though you may have rotating plasma cannons a mech with a jet alt mode will be a very hard target to hit. When traveling long distances in your ship always expect enemy ambushes and have an escape pod ready just in case.

The Factions: The Factions in TFO will included, but not be limited to, Autobots, Decepticons, Wreckers, Ultracons, Maximals and Predacons as well as those who are factionless. How this works: Autobots, Wreckers and Maximals are at constant war with those of the Decepticons, Ultracons and Predacons and will be allowed to attack each other without penalty. There will exist several locations that are deemed Neutral Territory where all weapons, both on your mech and in your docked ship, will be rendered inoperable, though things like cloaking still work you should be advised to not get caught as the guards still have working weapons and they are quite devastating.

Weapons: TFO will have all types of weapons, from hand carried ion pistols to shoulder mounted plasma cannons, you can cycles through these weapons by pressing the button you have to cycle, default is mouse 3, or you can fire all weapons on your mech by pressing the button you have bound to "fire all" though this will have decreased accuracy as opposed to a player taking aim and shooting a single weapon. There will also be melee weapons added to the mix and these vary in strength and range and physics do apply, i.e. a spear will hit an enemy before a sword would. Melee weapons are to be used at close range only and not always certain damage as an enemy could sidestep your jab mid swing and hit you with a melee weapon of their own. Oh as always, please do not bring an energon knife to a laser gun fight, thanks.

Transformations: Transformations will be chosen when you get your transformation cog but they can be changed by visiting an CR chamber and scanning a new form or picking a form from the many stored in the CR chamber's data banks, remember: different planets have different alt modes available. Any and all alt modes you have scanned or used in the past can be stored to a data disk or on your own personal ship.

Transforming: Transforming is on the fly, no worrying about having to stand still while being attacked as an enemy draws near, just run the other way and hit the button you have bound to transform and you're off. You can even transform in the midst of speeding down a road or in mid air, just be careful as you can take damage in you don't pay attention.

Vehicle to Vehicle battle: I know some of you are probably thinking, I turn into a car and this guy turns into a jet, how is that fair? Remember this, no mech is invincible. A mech with a jet mode may be faster than a car mode but he also burns energon faster, has a harder time turning around and will be less accurate then a grounded foe. Like I sad earlier, use your surroundings to your advantage, head into a canyon or forest to give yourself some cover and if he comes to the ground then he's in your territory, clip that birds wings and send him back to his factions as a toaster.

That's what I got for now, what's everyone think? Would anyone else here pay to play a game like this? Yes any good game you have to pay to play online if it's an MMO, if you don't pay to play the game gets laggy and the quality goes down right until they cancel the servers due to lack of fundings.

2. phreakybot

phreakybot Well-Known Member

I'd want to see it and give it a test drive, but yeah that sounds like it would be fun!

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Sign me up dude, I like where this is going. As a good benchmark, I'd take a squiz at Mass Effect on Xbox360, that might be a good template to work with.

4. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

Misatokitty has been thinking the same thing as you, though abit differetn in hwo it woudl be set up. you two should talk about it.

5. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    lol I had my idea posted on seibs a while back ago and people loved it, I really wish Hasbro would invest in a game like this and not try to make a WoW clone with robot skins.

6. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    keep telling me what ya think guys

7. stevez0r

stevez0r Well-Known Member

Where can I sign up?

Great idea would love to see it come true.

8. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

LF well-geared Truck and Helicopter for Unicron's Base, pst

9. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Where do I buy it? :D 

10. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Wow, you seem to have given this a lot of thought.

The whole "cog" system sets up nicely as a rewards system, but it's also an area where I see a real problem. Unless you are using something similar to the movie design (and even they aren't totally immune to this problem), your robot would have to have a different design everytime you changed the alt mode. For example, if your robot turns into a VW beetle, it has to have VW beetle parts when it transforms. Customizing various pieces onto your robot or vehicle is nice and all, but when you transform, the pieces have to go somewhere. Which leads to the second part of the problem: animation. For every alt mode and every additional major "cog" (rocket launchers, etc.) there needs to be a corresponding transformation animation. The easiest (read: less manhours, less memory space, less expensive) alternative is to use a fixed number of transitional modes and robot models. Customization would come mostly from paint jobs (maybe similar to Forza or more constrained paint by number patterns) and minor accessories (a specific type of gun or rims). Picking up a new alt form that's smaller and more fuel efficient would definitely have its benefits ("Beast Wars").

But what I'm really interested in is how you would address the issue of scale, particuarly in relation to melee combat. A F-15 doesn't transform into the same size robot as a corvette without major mass shifting.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it sounds reallly good. Totally agree that an attempt at being a WoW clone with just robot skins is the wrong way to go. Make it something that is just fun to play and not something you are forced to play so you can grind the junk you need just to have fun in the game.

Being able to chose a side is also excellent since some of us are Autobot fans and some of us are Decepticon fans. Plus being able to play as either side means it's the fun of player vs player instead of just player vs the game bot.

Guess my only question would be about plans for game balance. I'd hate to be the guy that was late to the game and getting my butt kicked like Waspinator because I didn't have good gear yet and everyone else was tricked out to Prime or Megatron specs.

But gods yes some MMO that wasn't just spells and swords would so nice and then add in all of the fun of Transformers as well.

12. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

Whatever company that got the rights to develop the game would ruin it. This is one franchise I’d love to see a MMO for...hell I’d support it but only if it's good. If it's garbage I doubt that being a collector/TF lover would justify spending a monthly fee to play trash.

Bioware could do it but they will have their hands full with their KOTR MMO.

Too many MMOs are epic failures as far as I am concerned. I’ve played nearly every MMO that’s come out.

13. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Yeah most of them try to copy WoW and EQ. I don't understand why these companies think MMO = Click Spells and Wait for attacks, they all use the same format of game play and it's not very fun.

As for the guy who said we'd have to use the movie mech modes, no we wont.

A player with 2 alt modes will have multiple kibble, a person with a tank mode and a jet mode would/could end up with chopper blade swords on his back, a tank cannon on his shoulder, tank treads on his legs and his chopper cockpit on his chest.

No mass displacement will be necessary, who says the alt modes have to be on scale? Besides it's something that would have to be worked on if they decided to make the game. Personally I felt the movie bot designs looked like crap.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    What about building it on a Second Life type engine, where you could also create and build Cybertron along with strategizing and fighting?

--Moony

15. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I'd have the same concerns listed here. I'm assuming you'd have to have a high number of alt modes to cover multiple planets, which would require a huge amount of man hours to model and animate every one. I came up with an idea for a TF MMO a while ago, and I think I had 12 alt modes you could pick from and then change your color scheme to personalize your TF.

16. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Don't much care for Second Life. You will be able to explore Cybertron and all parts of it that have appeared in comics over the years. I'm not sure about base building as it didn't work well on City of Heroes/Villains as the bases didn't have a physical location, you could only enter it by teleportation. You should be able to build bases in other places like other planets, you could find scrap parts floating in space such as the hull to a deserted space cruiser and relocate it to an asteroid, repair it, seal it and hook a power supply to it or something like that with automated defenses that require a person to be put on the safety list in order to not be attacked by it.

A person could probably explore Cybertron and find a an abandoned lab or something and use it as a meeting place or something but most bases that a group or a clan would have be a ship. Your ship can land on a planet and even be buried to keep it hidden, your friends on the allow list would be allowed to enter either through the doors or by warping in, all other would be shot at by automated defenses.

Alt modes would take a lot of time to do but they don't have to be done all at once, they can be released via updates or something but the thing is you don't have to pick a true alt mode. you could be able to mix and match parts. You could have mix and match ground parts to come up with a custom cybertronian truck that has 2 front tires and the rear tires could resemble tank treads, you just wouldn't be able to have a car with jet engines or a race care with a tank cannon, the parts have to be from the same type of vehicles 'ground, air, water', things like that. It'd be balanced enough for players to make their own vehicles without players making "god mechs" that move as fast as jets with control of a land vehicle and the firepower of tank. All vehicles will have the ability to shoot their weapons in vehicle mode, even regular vehicles such as cars and trucks, a motorcycle transformer with a sniper rifle will be able mount his sniper rifle on his side in alt mode though he will be very limited in where he can aim it but his advantage will be speed and maneuverability. It's about thinking on your feet, not about who has the biggest gun, after all.

17. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I don't like Second Life much myself, but that people can build things on their own instead of forcing programmers to do it all other than homes and bases is a real plus. And if say, someone wants to do something other than fight, like say run a medical bay, or a bar, or a sharkticon wrasslin' pit, they could do it easily with that type of setup.

--Moony

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Among other cool things about this concept, the Mini-Con idea is just too darn adorable. I'm in.

19. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I like the idea of building your own stuff too, I'd just want it to have a real location, as in it can be seen from the outside instead of only having an interior.

I'd like the idea of a player being able to design their own buildings and have construction mechs build them for them, but I'd prefer it take time, energon and lots of materials for it to work. Keep a person from building a fortress too quick. So you design your main base on an asteroid or moon or somewhere, the smartest thing to do would be to leave a ship or 2 their to guard with their automated defenses so enemies couldn't destroy your stuff before it's built. After you have it built you could add other things such as hangars, docking bays, repair bays, CR Chambers, energon processors to make fuel for you and your ships, automated defenses to keep your base safe while you're away from it.

Just my thoughts on base making.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Simple just look at E3 this year where almost everything had a number after it. With all the big money it takes to make games too many publisher want to hedge their bets by just coping what ever works. Which why when something like Grand Theift did well you stated to see other publisher coping from that franchise left and right.

EQ and WoW were the big dogs so all the publishers think they have to be just like that to be big as well. Sort of ignoring that players really more than an EQ or WoW type setting thinking it's the setting and not the game play that sank games like the Star Wars MMO.