Transformers Mentions in the wider Media.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jun 17, 2010.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I thought I'd start a little thread just to say I always find it amusing to spot mentions of Transformers in the media.... more and more of late...

Here's the most recent ones I've come across in the UK.

Radio 4 : Heresy panel show.

In a conversation about using your TV to baby sit children an audience member poled replied that it never harmed him --- except that now he's got a Transformer tatoo - the host (bless her) didn't even know what a Decpticon was [she's on twitter poker playing cutie 'Victoria Coren' - go educate her -chuckle] and showed only a bare awareness of what a Transformer is.

Google

The man then stated his tatoo was a Decepticon insignia and that really confused her until David Mitchell (not the author the comedian) informed her it was type of Transformer.

Uksters can check the episode out on iPlayer now.

--------

Other mentions : was on BBC's QI in a discussion about turning your pet tortoise into a transformer.

And on Big brother 11 UK - JJ said they like Megan fox better before her nose job like when she was in Transformers.

Incidently as I watch BB UK and have done for many years Transformers has been mentioned everysingle time including Celeb BB since year 2.
    Sometimes in the most bizarre ways.

One ex BB house mate 'Fredrico ' even had a story in the newspaper to say that he'd been taken on a Hasbro tour as he mentioned it so much and described designing Transformers toys as his dream job.

If you've spotted any Transformers references ON TV etc.. that made you chuckle then post them here.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Transformers have been a part of popular culture in one way or another for 25 years. If you're going to try and catalog every mention of them referenced in TV, music, movies, etc. you will be working on it forever.

3. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I agree. That would be a very hard job to try to collect all the mentions.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There was a documentary presented by Michael Mosley a couple of weeks ago ('Story of Science' I think it was called) where he did that computer test for artificial intelligence. Y'know the one where a person chats with a computer that's supposedly programmed to respond in a convincingly humanlike manner.
    He asked it what its favourite movie was and it replied 'Transformers 2'. Mosley assumed it must be a computer/robot joke as he couldn't believe that anyone liked Transformers 2.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Not sure if I agree that it would take forever. I mean, sure it's been known, but it's been a cult following for most of its existence. Albeit a fairly large cult following, but still.

I remember in the Disney movie from the 80's Flight of the Navigator, one of the presents the main character gets sent to his captivity room at NASA is a TF toy. A decepticon, Skywarp if I remember correctly.

In one of his comedy specials, Dane Cook expressed a desire to name his sons Optimus Prime and Megatron.

6. dsprks75

dsprks75 Robot Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I remember in Top Gun, where Goose (Anthony Edwards) gives his son a Starscream.

7. Sidewave

Sidewave Autobot

News Credits:
    i think i might have seen a rotf mudflap in the new karate kid

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Cyclonus, I think, actually.

Zobovor gave the catalog a good shot years and years ago, but even this is totally incomplete.

Transformers Pop Culture References

Off the top of my head, there have been numerous TF references on the Simpsons in recent years, from the transformers couch gag to the Transmograzoids in the Japan episode or the Mars Bar and Mattel Quick Energy Chocobot Hour on the Kidz Newz episode, to the Orthobots in The Israel episode, etc. etc.

There's also numerous references to TF in the works of Jay Electronica, Plan Be, Chris Brown, etc.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Actually the TF in Flight of the Navigator is an Insecticon (Shrapnel, I think). I always remember that because whenever I used to see it I was like "man why couldn't they get him a better Transformer? They're NASA for crying out loud, they should've at least got him Optimus Prime!"

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Thanks to the Micheal Bay Films, Transformers is all the rage......and unfortunatley people at my school think i don't know that Megan fox won't be in Tf3...I got so pissed off. :mad 

It's taking 25 years and yet their are still more Twilight fans(girls) than Tf fans wtf?

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's simply because it's a fad. Fads always have massive fan bases, when they're big. Once the next thing comes along, they'll all migrate over to that.

12. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

on rugrats, tommy pickles plays w/ optimus prime in a sand box.

13. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

In an episode of Scrubs, JD (and possibly Turk) paint a TF mural on the wall in the room where their baby will sleep. It's Prime vs. Megatron, but oddly enough, it's Powermaster Prime (God Ginrai?) vs Megatron. I always thought that was really odd.

14. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    There was one on the new episode of Mock The Week last night and I immediately thought of this thread. In the 'This is the answer, what is the question?' round the answer was 'Golf balls, tyres and rubbish' and Russell Howard asked 'Is the question: What does Optimus Prime ejaculate?'.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    "Go Tekkerson Decepticons!" - MTV's Undergrads

Undergrads contains more than a few references to Transformers.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Twilight taps into the vampire tend that rises up like the undead every so many years. Vampires will be all the rage for a while then it dies down only to crop up again once someone figures out a few new twists on the old vampire story. Nosferatu in 1922, Dracula in 1931, The Lost Boys in 1987, Interview With the Vampire in 1994, and all the hundreds of vampire films between the first in 1909 to what Hollywood has in production now.

Plus Twilight has figured out how to tap into what it's fans want while Transformers has a hard time attempting to please the widely varying tastes and needs of it's fan base.

17. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Such as She-Prime.

So...no one's gonna mention the fact that Robot Chicken won't shut up about them?

Family Guy promulgated the Prime=Jewish thing?

- Coeloptera

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Funnily enough I bought the boxset of the first three series of that last week and was having a mega commentary session today and enjoying hearing people talk about Transformers.

19. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megas XLR (where the robot in my signature comes from) has so many Transformer Homages its crazy.

There is a Rodimus look alike in the intro who gets his face smashed in on occasion, Shockwave look alike tank transformers with a leader that looked like Onslaught in one episode, Cullin and Welker are given a similar roll to Autobots and Decepticons in another, and Coop stuffs spray cheese in a gizmo that looks like the Matrix of Leadership inside Megas's chest. The robot's original head resembled Soundwave's too. One of the Villains is a Unicron, only Spanish and has a height complex.

20. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    This might possibly count as a zombie thread, but what with the recent threads of TF references cropping up in other media I thought it might be okay to revive this as the catch-all mega thread for when Transformers gets a mention or there's a sneaky reference to TF in a non-TF show or movie or book or whatever. Other similar threads could then be merged into this one.

To give this thread additional valid reason for revival, I was watching the animated Ricky Gervais Show last night (solely for the wonder of Karl Pilkington, not because I have any like for Gervais and Merchant) and spotted what might be the regularly easiest of all TF references (so much so that I often do it in my own comic artwork when I draw traffic): G1 Optimus Prime in truck mode :

(Series One. Episode: 'The Diary'. 13 minutes 33 seconds into the episode. When they're talking about 'Spud' being a good nickname for a trucker)
    [​IMG]
    Not Peter Cullen. :p 
    [​IMG]