Transformers meets Supernatural Mythology

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Honorbound, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

A while back, I read in several threads (I think it was the Post Your Own Premise one) that some folks were interested in seeing the Transformers’ mythology, ghost stories, and monsters explored, and I got an idea: what if there was a series that went deep into detail about the kinds of monsters that once preyed on the Transformers’ ancient ancestors? And what if these monsters and their descendants were still around, hiding in the places that few Transformers dared to go?

This series could reinterpret many of the aspects of older series in new and interesting ways.

For example, Headmasters could be little things like Bayverse Scalpel (the doctor), only head-sized, and they behave in a manner similar to TFAnimated’s Headmaster (fatally decapitating a Transformer and turning its replacement head, animating the corpse for the Headmaster’s use).

Sweeps could be like a mix of the bat-like depictions of vampires and the Ringwraiths from the Lord of the Rings, silent, faceless hunters who drain the Energon from their subject like the Energon Harvester in TFPrime.

You could re-imagine the Seacons as the Deep Ones from Lovecraft’s mythos, with Quintessons as the guys taking the role of the Old Ones, being the guys made a lot of these monsters.

The Seekers could be like a cross between between Transtech Silverbolt and Movieverse Starscream, with secondary flight modes that transform their legs into Jetstorm-style hover units and their arms into talons. They could also have mouth cannons, like Animated Starscream had briefly, and act like smaller-scale versions of dragons.

Finally, you could use generic monstrous Transformers as Terrorcons, in place of Orcs, designing them on aesthetics similar to the Dreads or generic Movieverse Transformers.

The guy who inspired these monsters to come out of the woodwork and form into a conquering horde would be Megatron, an extremely intelligent, sadistic Transformer who found the relic that created these freaks and used it to make himself more powerful. Megatron would have enough physical and personal power to keep an entire army in line; out of all the monsters that he has pressed into service, he would seem the oldest and strongest, even though that would be impossible, right?

After their exile and defeat during the Great War, Megatron and his gallery of nightmares would set their sights on a new world, rich with resources and remnants of the Ancient Transformers buried deep below the surface, including a handful of recently awoken survivors of the Age of Ancients, which preceded the Age of Quintessons.

And standing against the collected horrors that Cybertron has produced would be Optimus Prime, an expert on the age that spawned these monsters, and a hero in the vein of Abraham van Helsing, Beowulf and the Archangel Michael, a champion who has decided to find and slay these horrors. Standing with him would be some of the surviving Ancients, thrust into a future that they have no knowledge of and forced to adapt to living on a world that is no longer their colony.

What do you all think?

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I'm going to assume that you've never seen the cartoon episode "The Dweller in the Depths". Or the Marvel UK comic book story "Underworld".

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd love to see Transformers superstition addressed some day. There's some mileage in the idea that Transformers could be the "ancient astronauts" who built things like the pyramids - beings who passed into myth. What if the tales of Osiris being dismembered and Isis gathering his scattered parts to revive him were actually an account of a Transformer being torn asunder and his loyal follower rebuilding him?

Interesting concept, at any rate. Not sure about Optimus Prime as a monster hunter, but the Quintessons as ancient cosmic horrors would be another interesting take on them. It'd certainly work better than their old portrayal as alien warlords.

4. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

E.C.R.Former: I've watched bits of "The Dweller in the Depths," but all I know of "Underworld" is that it had these rock-skinned demon things that could drain a Transformer's energy, unless I'm completely mistaken. Beyond that and the usual Primus/Unicron/Fallen mythology, the Transformers mythology hasn't really been explored (though a new take on the Fallen could work, making him continuing his master's Mission in his memory).

Sol Fury: I'm not too fond of Transformers being responsible for the cultural advancement of ancient civilizations, because as TVTropes put it, it implies several extremely unfortunate/ludicrous things: one, that the ancient civilizations couldn't do it on their own; two, if the aliens taught us things like architecture, then why didn't they try to stop all the human sacrifice going on?

Now, having a Transformer colony, an offshoot of the Ancients, existing on Earth in prehistory, where they observed and studied the natives but didn't interact with them too much, would work. However, the reason that this Transformer colony didn't stick around is that the Quintessons showed up and tore down their entire civilization. The Earth colony, however, held out for decades, until both sides killed each other. The only thing remaining were the underground fortifications that the Transformers used during the war, and a chamber full of stasis pods that the noncombatants locked themselves into once the war turned dire. These Transformers would be awakened in 2007 by a human organization, Sector Seven. Optimus would come along later.

Speaking of Optimus, what makes you unsure of him as a monster hunter?

By the way, thanks for the compliment on the Quints: They always struck me as Lovecraftian entities. In G1, they were moving in on Megatron's schtick.