2D Artwork: Transformers: Mecha Musume

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by soymonk, Aug 24, 2009.

1. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Never did post these here. Just some mecha musume-styled drawings that I did. Character designs are heaviy influenced by Animated, G1, and movie aesthetics.

Megatron Design post
    Wheeljack Design post
    Starscream Design post
    Ramjet Design post
    Thundercracker Design post
    Skywarp Design post

This was an old, unfinished pic that I found the other. Decided to scan it in on my dad's scanner (his is nicer than my piece of junk) and cleaned it up in PhotoShop. I think you can tell who they're supposed to be.
    [​IMG]

Here's an idea of what the background would've looked like if I actually did finish it (and added in Barricade). It's supposed to be a dynamic shot of the 'Cons amongst the rubble of the battle that took place in Mission City from the first film.
    [​IMG]

Here's a larger drawing that I did of Jetfire, Jetstorm, and Safeguard. Jetfire and Jetstorm volunteered to be the test subjects in one of Wheeljack's latest projects. The result of Project: SAFEGUARD was a suit that allowed two beings to demolecularize and phase together into a single, complete being.

There's two reasons as to why their background story is different from the Animated characters that they're based off of:
    1) I developed and designed these characters before the twins appeared in the show
    2) The mecha musume universe I developed is a different, separate continuity
    [​IMG]

Most new stuff with be added as attachments in new posts due to the large amount of attachments. Enjoy! Comments are weclome!

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is some really nice work! :thumb 

I really like all of the designs!

3. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Thanks! I'm glad you like them! :D 

Added Megatron and some of the progress scans I took while I worked on her. Excuse the weird pose, I'm not exactly the greatest artist in the world.

Attached Files:

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is a very cool style you got going on. I like your version of the Animated twins better. :)  Megatron's design is unique compared to other designs I've seen. The colors give her a royal yet evil look.

6. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I always enjoyed mecha musume style art. It's a big reason I like the Busou Shinki line so much.

I have a hard time NOT shouting 'Symmetrical Docking' when I see Safeguard, though :D 

7. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Anyone up for a little Wheeljack? Never could figure out a good design for her lower half though =/

Attached Files:

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm surprised you haven't done one of G1 Starscream yet. :lol :

That's usually the FIRST TF to get done in Mecha Musume style. Any of the Bumblebees might be a nice choice too.

9. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    My apologies for not explaining the definition of "mecha musume" in my opening post.

Yeah, I did the twins before we really knew anything about them. I had no idea at the time that they'd be Russian. I'm glad you think that Megatron has a regal feel to her design, that's exactly what I was going for! This take on Megatron's a bit different, since these characters are humans. This Megatron, before she acquired her armor and moniker, is an arrogant aristocrat that's the head of an underground crime syndicate.

Actually, when I first saw Busou Shinkis, they were one of my main inspirations for drawing these characters. They're so neat!

As godly as the late Chris Latta is, I'm not really a fan of G1 Starscream. Actually, movie Starscream is the only one that I have some semblence of affection for. Animated's comes in second because Tom Kenny is win.

Speaking of Starscream...

Attached Files:

10. Kaymac

Okay. I just brought him up because he is a popular character to draw in this style. :lol 

I really want to watch this topic. Quite an interesting style you have.

11. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Well, I'm glad that you like my drawing style :D 

Ramjet's next. Her outfit design was styled after Ramjet's look from IDW's Reign of Starscream comics. More Seekers are comin... wtf is up with these odd poses I keep giving them?!?

Attached Files:

12. Kaymac

VERY cool look on that one. Her blade is pretty awesome.

Draw some Beast Wars characters maybe?

13. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I told Vexza a while back that I could see the Jetwins as Girls instead of guys and she said I was crazy.

Good job!!!!

14. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also see some black/Starfire in those designs too....was that intended or just coincedential

15. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    I was just aiming for characters from the movie and Animated universe, but would these count? ... *see attachments*

Cheetor's a boy, but these weren't really intended to be mecha musume drawings. Nightscream's a girl because... I want her to be one. Plus, the show creators originally wanted Nightscream to be female... so there.

That was purely coincidence. It's probably because Wyatt was a character designer for both Teen Titans and Animated. One example of similarities is how both teen Sari and Star/Blackfire share similar designs in their outfits.

Attached Files:

16. Kaymac

Oh! Cool to see those, but if you are sticking to Animated and Movie series, go with an MM rendition of Lugnut next.

17. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    We'll see. I just moved into my new apartment for grad school and I have no art supplies with me D:

All I've got are the finished ones that I've uploaded and haven't cleaned up yet.

18. Kaymac

Nice to hear you got some unfinished ones, but what about an MM drawing of a 'con without a "battle mask"? Jetfire/Jetstorm don't have them, but are you just sticking to the Autobots going without the masks?

19. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    For the most part, the Autobots don't have battle masks, since the battle masks make the Decepticons looks more monstrous and menacing. Hiding the Decepticons' faces was sort of a thing that I did without even noticing until later on and it sort of goes with the movies' theme of the Decepticons having more diverse and less-humanoid forms than the Autobots.

Would anyone care for some Thundercracker? They're most delicious with some wine and cheese.

Attached Files:

20. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Skywarp's up next. Not sure how people will react to her, I wanted to make her look a bit like a mystic or a gypsy, as a play off of Skywarp's ability to teleport.

Maybe I'll upload some Autobots later.

Attached Files: