Transformers Masterpiece: Spinoff - King Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rodimus_Prime, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    I acknowledge that theres been numerous thread about this particular topic. Just out of curiosity, from a fellow transformers fan/collector to another, who here pre-ordered the King Grimlock and how many? Do you like it? Its very expensive but I just pre-ordered one, couldn't resist the box. :D 

[​IMG]

2. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    No, I just ordered regular MP Grimlock the other day. But if the Hasbro version is painted in these colors and given a crown, then I may pick it up. Though I think the Hasbro version will just be regular Grimlock.

3. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I preordered it, but since it's Masterpiece I wasn't going to pass it up.

Randy

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. Don't care for the non-standard packaging, but the day I pass up a MP TF is the day I've finished collecting entirely.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't have the original MP and haven't ordered this one, but I'll tell you this: the box is pure awesome, and I like the comic-style blue used instead of black.

So..pretty damn cool!

6. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    Im not a completist, but this one although expensive I can afford with the money I've set aside for thenow unreachable Yamato 1/2000 Macross SDF-1. But that's another story for another time.

7. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I passed on this one as my wife bought me the original release for our anniversary, which luckily fell in the same week the first release came out.

Didn't Takara Tomy raise the prise for the King version? I seem to recall that. Anyway, don't care for the crown and I actually prefer the colours on the original more. The box is pretty nice looking though.

8. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    im a bit undecided on this.. i dont usually have two repaints of the same character in one toy line.. and this is really quite expensive.. but it also looks awesome, and i dont like passing up a MP figure

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm very tempted to get it for the box and interesting colors since I don't have the original. The problem is I just don't care about the character that much, but I do want to have one of each mold in the line.

10. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hopefully The Hasbro Version Comes With A Crown!

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I think it's more likely to come with the crown than the waiter accessories. But maybe Takara will put the kibosh on it because it's part of their exclusive version.

Randy

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I'm skipping this one, unless he ends up being deeply discounted at some point. I like the deeper gold and the orange sword, but not the blue.... and I'm not a fan of the crown, either. I know it's cartoon-accurate, but it's just a bad crown design; it looks like a child's drawing of a crown to me, not a pleasing design (IMO, of course).

Packaging rarely sways me one way or the other, as I'm not a MISB'er. It would just end up packed into the closet, anyway.

So, if he ends up not selling well and gets discounted (it could happen... just look at the E-Hobby Guardian Robot, who can be had now for almost half his original asking price), I may pick him up. But if not, I'll live.... I'm pretty happy with my original MP Grimlock, and am eager to see what spin Hasbro makes on theirs. I'll probably pick up the Hasbro version to include in my Classics display, since a) he will actually, technically be a Universe toy and b) the original Classics Grimlock is so lackluster.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm passing. I think the blue just looks daft (I know it's supposed to represent the way black areas were coloured back in the day, but I just don't think it works well) and the only thing I'd want from the set is the crown.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    same here

15. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Same here. Who has the best price on him?

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm still trying to find a way to justify the regular MP Grimlock. I'm sure I'll love it when I get it, it's just a matter of getting it.

17. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    From what I've look online, TFSource seems to have the better price. I'm not sure who has the best price though. I've often ordered from BBTS and have built a certain trust with them. I've had a good experience when ordering with them.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I think it's interesting, but the blue just looks odd to me. If I get MP Grimlock at all, it'll be the Hasbro version, and it'll be displayed with my Classics Autobots. Not sure what I'll do with Classics Grimlock, but I'll find something (might just put him with my Universe Autobots). I'm hoping that the Hasbro version of him has the crown. It's a much better accessory, imo, than the tray thingy and the apron.

19. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I really like the box for King Grimlock...but I chose to get the regular version. I like the black on MP-08, better than the blue on MP-08x.

20. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    I guess some of the blue shade just seems striking with fans. It is fairly accurate to the comic depiction from that limited picture. Would like to see some more though...