Transformers Marvel Crossovers Spider-Man Race Cars

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by RedAlert Rescue, Dec 31, 2010.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    The Spider-Man Race car is the newest brand new mould for a Spider-Man Crossovers toy though a Spider-Man Helicopter Reissue has since come out in some Markets, and there is often plenty of stock of the Motorcycle around as that has also been reissued a fair bit.

This one is a bit smaller than some of the other Marvel Crossovers especially in car mode but he's still a bit larger than a standard Deluxe Transformer is.

Please NOTE : I have painted the screws on them, especially the Black one so they don't show up so much, and have filled in the panel lines on the red one with dark crimson paint to pick the web pattern detail out in the lines. I also painted his fists partially blue. other than that they are as they come out of the packets.

Spider-Man Race car comes in two colours Black Costume colours and traditional Red costume colours ; The weblines are inset rather than raised suggesting this is comic book Spider-Man not movie Spider-Man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red version is a quite pale red compared to the Iron Man Car or Carnage he's a fair bit lighter than Iron Man and more pinkish than Carnage who is almost Orange in his redness, quite similar to the colour of the red on the Hasbro Battle Blades Voyager Optimus Prime toy really.

[​IMG]

The alt mode is slightly smaller than Crossovers Venom or Carnage but still complements them quite well and I'll likely consider these my default Spider-Man Crossovers toys as they are a lot more possable than the Motorcycle or Helicopter is.

[​IMG]

There is a lot of variety in the choice of movement in the joints the hips and legs can be displayed in one of two ways with the kibble panels on the outside of the legs of the inside and with a cod piece or without one, the Shoulders also can be lowered to make the chest look broader or raised to free up arm movement a great deal more. he has lots of rotation in his joints so you have lots of options of how to adjust the joints depending hom how you want them to stand - sometimes its useful to move the upper calves 90 degrees to the normal position for example. you can have the calves shifted sideways so the knees move to the sides allowing him to stand flat footed even with his legs apart if you do that.

[​IMG]

This is ideal if you decide to have the kibble inside his legs rather than outside. one of the main reasons I painted the screws on mine was because I prefered the kibble on the outside of the legs *especially on the black one* and the screws show up less in both modes if painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spider-Man has tail pipes on the back of his heels that add really useful help in balancing him - he never falls over because you can always support him with his tail pipes even when he's got one foot off the ground partially. a feature you really miss on toys that don't have it (such as Voyager Battle Blades Optimus again).

Some might not like that he's got no webswinging or flat handed wall crawling hands but I don't mind as fist closed webshooting is traditional for the symbiote costume and it's good for fist fights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Size comparison with Iron Man Race Car : He's a little smaller than Iron Man but has a few less gaps in his body than Iron Man has maybe, and more useful joint movement than Iron Man has as Iron Man has some ratchets than have less positions than Spider-Man has so he's harder to stand in a variety of positions compared to Spider-Man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's quite a bit smaller than Carnage in mass but is actually a little taller in height than him normally, and as his legs can compact as part of his Transformation you can even deliberately make him look shorter too if you care to do so though;
    [​IMG]

Like Classics Rodimus Spider-Man features a slidey crotch (That's a Slidey crotch not a Spidey-crotch) that moves in and out this is part of the Transforation to car but makes his hips look better in Robot mode too. Unlike the Spider-Helicopter or many Star Wars Transformers he as a fairly normal looking head with only a slight amount of robotic detail on his forehead crest area- you can see this more clearly on the red one, on the black one he looks almost like a normal Spider-Man figure (only with wheels).

The Black version has no accent colour like Venom has with his purple so he does look a little plain to some peoples tastes perhaps.
    Spider-Man is standing with his legs fully extended here so he thus looks taller than Venom unlike the other image with the red one where he looks shorter due to the compaction of his legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So in Car mode Spider-Man rolls well with plenty of ground clearance and is firmly pegged to together as a car in all places so he's rock solid to wizz about the place.

As a robot the shoulders do float a little with no specific final location and the box images for the leg placement contridict each other for the red and the black version of the robot mode. thus why I have been showing both ways of his legs being displayed.

He's quite solid overall in robot mode the only slight previso to that being if you push hard enough his compaction joints in his knees might clapse down to the shorter setting. you can see in the kneeling shot that he has double Knee joints to.

Transformation is fairly straight forward with the only slight issue some might have is getting the legs locked in place in the car mode - due to the clipping they need and the ratchet in the hips being quite strong, the kibble panels on his legs don't fold down as flush as some might have prefered but they are on ball joints that are stiff enough to not really be a bother and they can lock down into holes provided but they sit better if they are just pushed up against his legs without pegging them down.

The tires of the car mode on the black version are made out of a slightly lighter grey plastic with the hubs painted black which is a bit different - but looks nice and the wheels are moulded with a web net pattern on the sides and a saw tooth on the tread.

I like the way the chest folds out and from inside itself and it's an idea I hope Hasbro pinch for other non Crossover Transformers and it's a trick shared by Iron Man Race Car too - it works very well as it allows the transformation but also completely closes all gaps in the Torso up in robot mode.

You can see here how it works on Iron Man :
    [​IMG]

His arms peg into place in specific spots on the underside of the car, and his wrist plug into each other making his underside very secure. extra stabilty is also supplied by the tail crosspiece and the leg kibble locking to each other and the insides of the legs.

In Robot mode Spidey has lots of joints especially in the arms and legs but his head only swivels it does not look backwards or down. he has a movable waist too.

Sizewise he's smaller than the Motorcycle but I don't have that to hand to photograph so I'll add that for comparison once i've rediscovered it from storage.

As a car he's much bigger than a typical Deluxe Transformer and would look a bit odd with some of them but he'd probably match up to a smaller Headmaster like Siren OK. He's about the same size as Beast Machines Mega Tankor I suppose. smaller than a typical Beast Wars era Mega but bigger than a current Deluxe (even Generations Drift).

OVERALL I was pleasantly surprised by Spider-Man and if you see him for a good price and you like the character he's a good buy - I quite like that he looks a bit like the Autobot Targetmaster Pointblank too in the vehicle mode.

In general I slightly prefer the Black one over the Red but the Red one is a little more colourful but it give someone the choice if they already have a red or black Spider-Man Motorcycle to get a matching or contrasting one I guess.

I bought them for £8.00 each in UK Store The Entertainer. Last I looked (Jan 2011) they were still in-stock.