Transformers Marvel Crossovers Iron Man

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by LightningZERO, Jun 29, 2008.

1. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I don't see any thread for this so I will start one, if there's one, please combine my post.

I'm very excited for this marvel crossovers line since I'm a fan of both Superhero and Transformers, and this is like a dream come true. Now the toys hit the retail, I manage to get a Spidey and an Iron Man. Will snatch Hulk later and still hunting down Venom...this review will be about Iron Man

"Basing their designs on alien technology, Mr Fantastic and Iron Man create powerful new battle suits for the heroes of Earth"

Jet Mode
    [​IMG]

Comparison with Classic Jetfire (Voyager class)
    [​IMG]

Iron Man's battle suit is a fighter jet. It looks neat and not much of the robot parts can be seen, the arms and legs are transformed to look not so obvious. It's mainly in classic Iron Man red and orange color, with the wings gray. The jet mode is equipped with 2 'Repulsor Blast Lauchers" and 2 pairs of single missiles, 2 pairs of double missiles. The jet is pretty tight locked together.

Transformation is pretty the standard jet to robot, but with some extra armor moving there and there to make it more involved. Pretty fun to transform it from jet to robot and vice versa. Some of the transformation pegs are pretty tight, especially the peg that holds the wings to the main body, so be careful when transforming back to Jet Mode

Mech Mode
    [​IMG]

Back view
    [​IMG]

Comparison with Classic Jetfire
    [​IMG]

Comparison with Animated 2 pack Prime
    [​IMG]

Comparison with movie Iron Man Mark III
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode or Mech Mode as in the instructions. Looks rather faithful to his comic look, Crossover Iron man even has his triangle 'heart', which normally hidden behind the jet cockpit. Iron Man has pretty good and tight joints so some regular posings are not a problem. His wings fold back into some sort of backpack in this mode. The double missiles can be attached to the arms for serious firepower.

Overall, an awesome toy from a good (although hated) toyline. The price is higher than Deluxe class but it's worth it as the figure is bigger. Iron Man is highly recommended. 4.5 out of 5.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Looks a damn sight better than the SWTFs. Definitely keeping an eye out for this.

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Wow that actually looks pretty awesome.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just opened mine and I love him! My only gripe is some of the ratchets are a little too tight and somewhat hinder the ability to do dynamic poses. Also wish they had used gold instead of yellow paint. The ability to put the smaller missiles on the arms is pretty cool, even though they don't mention it in the manual.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  5. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think it looks like a great starting point for a Jhiaxus kitbash.

6. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ironman might be the best one outa em

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I just got mine today, and haven't had a good opportunity to mess with him. I love the jet mode as it is pretty streamlined and looks good. From what I've seen of the robot mode, it looks faithful to Iron Man. I also got a MKIII Iron Man, too, but he's going to stay in the package.

For his jet mode it is very nice looking and there isn't much, if any, robot mode kibble attached or visible. He also has four Sidewinder-esque missiles and two smaller missiles. He looks very nice and there is gray on the wings and is his predominant color. It is hard to identify him as any realistic jet (like an F-22, for example). In certain angles, no joke, he looks like he could pass for a jet from the Animated line.

I'm terrible at describing the transformation process so I'll get right to the best part of his robot mode. His upper half. Seriously, the same jet armament (with the exception of the SMALL) missiles can be attached to his arms. His legs are... um... odd. He can either have them at a straight legged SS style stance, or at a weird 30 to 40 degree "legs in the stirrups" position. His legs can rotate, but the odd angle at which they JUMP to makes him look odd to the say the least when standing. It also makes him hard to stand.

Overall, I'd rate him a 7.5 out of 10. He's about "average" compared to some other figures.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    (thinking Black Sabbath Iron Man song) Oh I think that this concept is awesome, some flaws, but hey I'll get some of those too when I get the chance.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    While I think that the figure is pretty solid, I'm a bit sore that the thing cost $15 and there's no landing gear the single missiles have no where to go in robot mode other than the wings.

10. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Ironman is pretty sweet, hadn't tried to put the missiles on his arm though, so that's cool. For a jet, he's one of the best at lack of kibble in both modes.

11. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

Looks Okay. If I HAPPEN to see him in the store and I have the extra cash, i'll be sure to grab him. I personally, However, think that Venom is the coolest looking. If I get IM though , I have a feeling hes gonna get some Autobot Reprolabels. :) 

12. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Fixed the problem. I used Draven's fix for Powerglide shown here. Just unscrew his thighs, and shave off that first notch on the bottom of the ratchet. Then you can have Iron Man stand just fine without the splits or ramrod straight:

[​IMG]

Video review (pre-leg mod) available here:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

14. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I painted all the yellow parts into gold to give that more "modern" iron man look.

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    See my post right above yours.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

^ lol busted. Yeah sometimes I just dive right in and post, without reading the rest

17. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Marvel TF Crossovers Iron Man Pictorial Review

Getting back to doing more pictorial reviews to complement the videos, here's Iron Man:

[​IMG]

Of course, with everyone else getting one, Tony's going to make a mech for himself. He's even equipped his with override controls for all of the other mechs! His alt mode is a futuristic jet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The underside carries some heavy armaments:

[​IMG]

Transformation is fairly simple, and forms a fairly basic Iron Mech:

[​IMG]

Missiles can remain on the wings on his back:

[​IMG]

Or attach to his forearms:

[​IMG]

You might want to unscrew his thighs and shave off the bottom tooth on the ratcheting gear on his hips (Thanks to Draven for the idea!) Otherwise you're stuck with his legs like this:

[​IMG]

or like this:

[​IMG]

Fixing that makes him SO much nicer. It was one of my major complaints, and the easy fix was a happy find indeed. I like the Iron Man figure, but I do think it's the weakest of the first four in the line. Worth picking up, but he wouldn't be my first choice if I had a selection available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, video review available here:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Just picked the fig up, love him. I only have 2 gripes: The little missiles can fall of the wings too easily, and I don't like how they lazily just said to fold the wings in. I leave mine unfolded.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just came up with a sweet gerwalk mode for Iron man.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  20. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    So yeah, I've been eyeing this figure for over a year now and I finally bought him over the weekend. What I thought this whole time would be a "slightly more exciting than meh" figure turned out to be one of my favorites. I love this toy! I'm really impressed by the jet mode and how it sits on those lines between animated/real and chunky/sleek. I was surprised the canopy is cast in a clear red plastic, too. I thought for sure it would just be painted black. There's even a little seat in the cockpit!

I'm also happy that everything can be removed from under the wings, including the spring-loaded launchers that are attached to the arms. I took apart one arm to remove a launcher and then realized they are actually held on by snap pegs, so you don't need to take the arms apart at all, you can just pop the launchers off and pop them back on at will. Awesome.

I found the transformation extremely intuitive and fun. Simple yet enough steps to keep it interesting. I was worried that the split nose would look bad in fighter mode but it holds together pretty tightly and isn't really noticable.

Robot mode really appeals to me, too, with more articulation than I expected. I'll be doing the thigh ratchet mod soon because that's really the one sore spot on the figure. Why they used such big ratches I'll never know.

Anyway, I highly recommend this thing for those of you who maybe, like me, are still shooting curious glances at it when you see it at the store. Hopefully the upcoming Crossovers Iron Man will be as nicely done as this. I also hope they give this one a true silver repaint, like how he looks in the promo photos of the "War Machine" version.