Transformers Manga?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I was looking again at the recomended manga thread and something struck me. With all the manga these days where are the Transformers in the mix? Yes we have TF cine-manga and b&w reprints by Titan of the Marvel UK run. But where's the REAL TF manga? Wasn't there some done back in the day after the Victory series called Battle Stars or something? Has there been any more? Has anyone translated it into English? Is there enough TF manga that it would be useful for fans to write to someone like Viz or Tokyopop and tell them that North American fans want to see the manga or is translation best left as a fan project? I'm really curious about this now. If someone could enlighten me on this subject I'd appreciate it.

2. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

There was a huge, phonebook-type compilation of all the TF manga released in Japan a few years ago. A few of the stories from it were scanned and translated. AFAIK, there was only one print run and it's kind of hard to find now.

As for writing to Viz or Tokyopop, that's probably not a bad idea. They release a ton of obscure stuff, so I'd imagine that TF manga would sell comparatively well. There are probably a bunch of rights issues they'd have to get around, though.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There were mangas all the way from G1 to Zone, plus one for Return of Convoy (Battlestars). On top of that, Beast Wars Second, Neo, and Metals all had mangas, and there was a newer G1 manga around the time the SCF PVC series was being made. There was also a manga released with the Micron Legends DVDs, called Linkage. That one has been scanlated, and it's pretty cool.
    That said, I'd eat up any official release of the TF manga. Perhaps IDW could put a few volumes out, like Image is doing for the Spawn manga?

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn I saw that one at a Japanese bookshop last week. Had to pass because it was $60 bucks. :( 

And there's also Galaxy Force manga (comic BomBom), but there's only volume one and apparently no more volumes will be published.
    The content is rather interesting, though, including bleeding and tear shedding TFs.