Transformers license question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fragglerock, Dec 27, 2008.

1. fragglerock

fragglerock Banned

I have a few questions about how strict Hasbro are with their Transformers license. I am going to be doing some custom TF shirts and other art inspired items. They will all be one of a kind and custom designed. Is Hasbro really strict with things like this?

2. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

If I owned a multi-million dollar a year property with copyrights and the like, I know I'd be a tad peeved if someone else was selling my property without permission.

3. fragglerock

fragglerock Banned

I am in no way a threat to them. Not even as far as some other independent artist who sell hundreds of unlicensed prints. Im talking about 20 shirts, all different one time run and a few hand painted items.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whether you are a threat or not (honest!) Hasbro perceives a threat.
    There's a reason why only 3 people -and they each only know a part of it- know the Colonel's recipe; sure, i am not a threat if i cook his recipe once, say every 2 months, but there is a chance the colonel will lose money after we pass it on to relatives, post it on the web and the like.

If you apply and hasbro lets you do what you will, fine.
    till then, you shouldn't do it.

5. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Are you asking if Hasbro is strict on licensed TF products, or unlicensed TF products?
    While I wouldn't actually know from experience I would assume 'yes' to both, as the property is so important to them they would want to ensure the product meets their standards.
    Cost to the brand goes beyond immediate sales, reputation of a strong brand is just as important in the long run. Which is generally why they have taken actions against KO manufacturers/ importers , as they cannot dictate standards of quality and direction in an item associated with their brand.

Lawyers are expensive though, and fan enthusiasm is encouraged, so generally Hasbro is pretty relaxed with their property, as long as you're not making good money, only producing a handful of items, and not altering the 'image' of the brand, you will probably be overlooked.

Its usually about motivation, if you do something out of love for the product, I don't see why they'd mind.
    They would have the legal right to kick your arse at any time however.

EDIT: Keep in mind, whoever already has license to produce similar TF apparel, may mind.

6. moocow

moocow God.

Fuck copyrights and Hasbro, live life on the edge. Do what you want.

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Having dealt with something on a similar level with another Hasbro property... they went after a guy who sold maybe 50 pieces. I have the cease and desist email that I was copied on (as I administrated and at one time owned the site that contained the evidence) somewhere.

They'll send you not only a nasty correspondence via email, but physically too if they can figure it out. They'll also want to know how much of what you sold so they can "recoup" compensation. I'm nowhere near a lawyer, but those I've spoken to say this is common. If you ignore it and persist, they'll come after you with a bigger gun.

Just sayin'. Though 20 pieces is pretty low, there's the potential for this to be a pain in the rump.

8. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    just ask your self this...If hasbro served you with a lawsuit for violating copyright and dragged your ass into a court of law, do you have the resources to fight them in a court of law by hiring a lawyer and do you have the $$$ to cover any potential judgement that might get levied against you?

if the answer to any of the above is no....then think carefully before you proceed,

a housewife(stay at home mom) got sued by the RIAA for downloading MP3 files ...and given the change to settle out of court for $3500..the stupid bitch said let's goto court...and got found guilty and then had a $70,000 judgement levied against her...that pretty much would wreck her world i am sure...

food for thought anyway....

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It doesn't even matter if you're a threat to Hasbro or not, that's not what it's about. You're making money off of their product.

If you want to make a TF t-shirt, make it using your own artwork, and only make one for yourself.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Do TF spoof/parody shirts/artwork instead --you should be able to sell those without fear from Hasbro legal:

Parody and Fair Use