Transformers Laser Disc collection

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Joe Moore, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Damnit, why would you go and show me that auction?! My desire to have Laser discs, and still having my Laser Disc player...

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    While not in the pics I included, it does come with Top Gun too. I mean, Top Gun and Transformers...Together?! Not many auctions contain that kind of win these days.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Laserdisc Cinemassacre Productions For those that don't know much about the format that's a great video. I'm surprised something like this even exists, pretty rare stuff I guess.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow, Laser Disc.... now that is something you don't see everyday. My brother had one growing up and only owned Philadelphia lol.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Selling my laser disc player may rank in the top ten dumbest things I've ever done. Would love to have these, but where the heck would I come up with a player these days?

7. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Laserdiscs were awesome. Had the player (still do), but never owned any actual movies as I frequently rented until they got phased out.

I always appreciated the step up in quality/widescreen, despite the fact you had to flip or change the disc 2-3 times per movie

8. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still own a Pioneer CLD-R5 and a bunch of sets: original Takara Headmasters set, Pioneer Autobot, Decepticon and 2010 box set editions plus the 86 movie.

Wasn't for the release of the DVD sets, I'd still be looking for the Takara LD boxed sets.

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The auction comes with a player.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, those look really cool, but I imagine the market is pretty small for something like that. Good luck to the seller :) 

11. thankgodfor transformers

thankgodfor transformers Well-Known Member

There is no market. I tried to sell all 51 of my pristine LD, including that same Headmasters Set (which has no English track btw) on eBay and it ended at $15.

12. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Wow, that's sad. I'm sure those LDs set you back more than $15. Not surprisingly, this guy has had zero bids on his auction. There might be a lot of LDs there, but that is a lot of money for older technology. I certainly wouldn't be purchasing them for my viewing pleasure. They would be purchased as collector's items. It's similar to my owning of the original VHS release of the Return of Optimus Prime (the old FHE one). Cool collection item, but very limited value.

That said, why is this the featured auction? Sure, those LDs are an interesting piece of history, but there isn't that big of a market for them. Why not highlight an auction with a rare item like a MISB Grand Maximus or such? Seems like a waste of space here. I'd argue one of my current auctions features a more desirable item (Starscream Ghost PVC) than these LDs. Just my two cents.

13. SSJ Rodimus

SSJ Rodimus Just 'Ownz' Here Veteran

Ebay:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Basically, that's`the reason why this is a 'Featured Auction'... it's an interesting collection that even a Transformers Laser disc hobbyist would rarely see. The demand may be low, but one could argue that finding a set like this is harder than finding a MIB Grand Maximus, on average. Not counting the Grand Max next to me, I've seen quite a few boxed examples in person, but rarely ever LD sets.

If we kept simply to the mainstream holy grails and rare items, we could very well be stuck with the same cycle of items for auction every month or so. But having a mix of 'Featured Auction' items that you wouldn't typically search for, but are rare and/or impressive to see, helps to keep things fresh.

14. Tirade

I guess I'd find this more interesting if the seller had them priced better. Even for the TF Laser disc hobbyists, that price is obviously high. Hence the lack of bidding.

As for my example, you obviously misread it ;) . I said a MISB, not MIB, Grand Maximus. Biiiiiiiiig collecting difference. The one that recently ended on eBay a few weeks ago was the first MISB Grand Maximus I have ever seen. Mind you, I don't watch for him religiously, but that was a rarity on eBay. That's the type of auction I'm talking about. And it even had a winning bidder to boot with loads of bidding activity. Can't say the same for these LDs.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Eh, neat auction as far as being novelty items and technology goes, but that's about it really, IMHO. :D 

..but always I say that Old school FTW! :p 

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    "This looks like a silver record, but it's not a silver record. It's a laser disc! There is a movie on there..."

17. Coinhound

Coinhound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If youd actually think if I would sell my Transformers:Five Faces of Darkness LD for 15.00 that only had 640 printed and only sold in the US Id say !! Also got the Beast Wars Maximal Edition for 85.00 at a BC some years ago from Pete Sinclair of all people. But a Zenith ld player? I did get a laugh out of that one. If in doubt of what actual laserdiscs could go for check out LDDB and Laserdisc Vault and youll see its as collectible as anything else out there. If 100.00 for Iron Giant isnt a clue I dont know what is.

18. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I love my laserdisc player(s) I buy every one I can lay my hands on specifically because of some of the things mentioned in that video.

in addition to things like.. being able to watch Star Wars in nearly HD quality without the "Special edition" stuff lucas put on them.. The LD, when connected via a S-Video cable to a 720p tv, looks surprisingly good for technology thats as old as it is.

Sure having to get up and swap discs (none of mine are the kind you have to flip over) is kind of annoying, but it gives you a perfect chance to hit the bathroom or grab a drink or something.

If I had the money i would so buy this collection..

19. Tirade

Hmmm. If they are highly collectible, then why didn't his auction get any bids? Too high a starting bid? I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think those LDs are neat collectibles. If I owned that Five Faces of Darkness LD, I would not part with it for only $15. Makes me wonder if eBay is the right venue for LDs. Sure, eBay is a great place to find strange things, but listing something on eBay doesn't guarantee it will sell high.

20. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Amazing collection but waaaayyyy too much money. Won't sell.