Transformers Kre-O - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Now that Kreo has launched, undoubtedly some of you bought some sets. How did they turn out? Do you like them?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't buy any, but I like those little small ones that come with the main kit more than the kit itself.

3. FiendForTF

FiendForTF Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hype

4. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey Fiend,it may be hype but some of loves us some plastic bricks that you can make cars and stuff from,even before TF's came out I use to have Lego's that I would put together and take apart to make something new,now that they have transformer versions of them I plan to get some of them.Almost forgot but I do still collect Lego's and put them together sometimes,those things are an American Icon.One day I plan on going to the Lego Amusement Park up north to see all those wondrous creations like the 10 or 15 foot Statue of Liberty there made all from those little bricks.

5. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    i want that megatron.

6. FiendForTF

FiendForTF Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    true :thumb 

7. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Let me tell you, the Kre-O's are very cool. I posted this pic on the "cool thread".. they're so much fun and does bring a lot of memories when playing with Legos.

[​IMG]

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Built Sideswipe. Each mode took an hour to build. Pretty cool. BIGGER than what I expected. In car mode, it's compact. In bot mode..damn that's where I felt it was worth the $20 asking price. It's the size of an ultra figure!

Worry about the ball joints but I'll be reviewing it soon so you all can see. Anyone build a gun for Megatron? He looks cool save for lack of cannon. I crave Sentinel.

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'd like to have the two Bee versions. :) 

10. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

i think its funny that you say they are an american icon (which they are)
    but...legos were created in germany i believe...

11. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i dont have any yet but I have my eye on the big Optimus for sure!

Megatron and the larger Bumblebee are ones i MAY get too. But Optimus is a no brainer

these look awesome!

i always did like Lego's and to have Hasbro go and make decent looking TF representations is great! Kre-O is exactly what I *wished* the BTR stuff was when they came out

12. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Denmark :wink: 

13. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:

Hey PORTER,they may have originated there but american's made them just that,icons,just like transformers we didn't invent them but we make up a lot of the sales.So I say if you show me proof that germany sells just as many lego's over there than they do here I will eat my lego bricks for breakfast.

Also one more thing,an icon by definition is an important and enduring symbol,also an object of great attention and devotion.

14. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Better than Mega Bloks but not as good as Lego.

Yep, in Bullind, Denmark.

15. kurttkrueger

kurttkrueger Well-Known Member

My only problem with Kre-O, is the fact that virtually every element I've seen so far (minus the heads, of course) is a knock off of a Lego piece.

So basically, this product is no better than the cheap Lego knock offs you see in discount stores over here, in my opinion.

I'm a big Lego fan, and have a broad knowledge of each individual Lego element available, and I'm seeing tons that have been ripped off here...

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I've only bought Mirage so far, and here's my thoughts on him:

Pros:
    -A very fun building experience. This is what official Lego sets should still be like. Several plain looking parts making a fantastic vehicle = win.
    -The head sculpt. It captures the character's likeness perfectly, and I can see Kre-O heads becoming a staple of kitbashing for years to come.
    -Tight connections. Tighter than most Lego parts fit together.
    -Rubber ball joints. Hasbro could've easily walked into the same trap Lego did a few years ago with the whole mechanism being plastic, but instead the went for a rubber coating that cushions the connection force and makes for a very stiff joint.

Cons:
    -Autobot emblem sticker placement.The problem is with the flat sticker being placed on a completely rounded surface. There is absolutely no way to make it lay flat, so it wrinkles. I tried pressing and rubbing the wrinkles to flatten it out, and all it did was chip some of the color off. :( 
    -Molding flaws. There are a few parts that have the "Melted Cheese" effect. One of the flat 2x2 tiles also has an indenture on the edge.
    -Kreon stress marks. It's my understanding this is very common. The marks are on the "butt" area of both my Kreons, where the legs attach to the body.
    -No weapons for the completed model.
    -Spare parts in both modes. Car mode I can understand, but leaving two long flat plates off the robot mode, when they can attach easily to his back for a Robot Master-esque spoiler? Dumb.

Not a bad place to start. I can see this line going places.

I thought the same thing at first, but the undersides look quite a bit different, not to mention the new fold-over hinge. The most bootleg part so far is the elbow-hinge.

17. GunBusterX

GunBusterX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Kreos are awesome. Picked up Mirage and Jazz. The pieces are high Lego quality, without the high Lego prices. Sure, they are knock offs, but to call them "cheap knock offs" is pretty insulting.

18. kurttkrueger

Didn't call them cheap knock offs, merely stated they were 'no better' than the cheap knock offs available, in terms of the morality of ripping off Lego.

19. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have you picked up a set or are you judging from the pictures?

All the reviews from people I've seen actually picking up the sets have been very positive with "high-quality lego product" stated in most reviews. So I'm not sure where your comment is coming from, but if you've bought kits and been disappointed I'd be interested to hear which ones they were.

I don't really care about negative reviews, like Hot Shot posted he had some good pro's and con's for the sets he picked up. But a negative opinion on the product without any hands on time with it isn't fair to people who are interested in picking up some sets.

20. kurttkrueger

To reiterate, I'm not doubting the quality of the product itself, I'm sure the bricks are high quality. My problem is with the cloning of Lego elements and parts.

Does no-one have an issue with the fact that Hasbro has pretty much directly copied each part from Lego's catalogue? Also, I'm not talking about the standard brick and plate design. They've copied some pretty unique Lego parts also...