Transformers (Keeper) Trilogy novels: question

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by MrNiceGuy, Aug 26, 2017.

1. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

I just found out from TFWiki about this series of Transformers books released in 2003, and apparently they're in continuity with the Dreamwave TF comics (bizarre!)

But what got me really curious (morbidly so) is this passage that's described there, an apparent human death: Her severed spine jutted from her torso, and entrails uncoiled and slowly snaked out from her body, slippery and eager to stretch out and relax.

Holy crap. That's in a Transformers book!? I'd expect that from some x-rated horror novel, not something licensed from a Hasbro product.

So, if there's anyone here that's read these, I'm really interested in knowing what the hell the context of this line is, and just how violent is this series?

I don't know if I want to try picking it up just to find out, especially if the whole thing is edgy schlock.

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

They were supposed to be in continuity with the dreamwave books, but subsequent stories from dreamwave make the novels and extremely bad fit into the continuity
    I read all three books and I don't recall any feelings of shock when I read the books but in retrospect I guess they were a bit more adult when they came to violence then what he had come before

I remember enjoying the books but for some reason I can't recall much of them anymore

3. The13Primes

The13Primes Jaxius._

News Credits:
    I only have 2 of the 3 and I love them. Sure they don't fit into anything really but they are good

4. DJ kevintron

DJ kevintron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first one i didnt like. Felt the author didnt really get transformers as a whole. They switched writters and the other two I thought were good. You need to read the first to set up the story just know it improves.

5. MrNiceGuy

Gore with spines and intestines didn't shock you? Boy, what were you reading.So I take it from that last line you don't remember the context of the violent passage I quoted? Someone here must know...
    I take it the first book is the one with the excess gore?

6. Altered Prime

I used to read a lot of Horror

And no I don't remember the exact context of that line but from others that I remember from the book my guess it was either the aftermath of an attack on or near human City by the Decepticons or the keepers

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Moving to Comics, better place to have a gory TF discussion. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I read all three books. They were in dire need of a good editor because they were riddled with grammatical errors, and also a good continuity check. They had small errors like Bumblebee's color and who was dead and who wasn't and what cities were destroyed and which were not.

As for the line, it was probably in a scene where there was gratuitous death. It happened a lot in those books. I wasn't too overly bothered or concerned by it. Read any Stephen King or Thomas Harris or Wally Lamb or George R. R. Martin and that stuff won't bother you after a book or two. That stuff is kind of par the course. Also, history IRL kind of tends to be similarly gruesome.

9. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

In Soviet Dreamwave, intestines are cats.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The gory line was from the first book (the only one I read) - and yes, it stuck out to me as well. It was basically "ooh, look how edgy we are, taking a children's franchise and making it gory. Aren't we too cool!?!". There was a lot of this in the early 2000s.

I forget the context, but it had something to do with some Autobots being forced to fight (an alien?) and some random human crowd being grabbed to act as spectators. When Optimus (or similar) refused to play along, whoever had done the kidnapping killed one of the humans to show they meant business.

The whole book was absolutely embarrassing, and I am proud to say I'd even forgot about its existence until this thread reminded me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrNiceGuy

WAT

Since it's supposedly in comics continuity, that makes sense

Those sounded minor enough to not ruin the story and some of them weren't really errors (bumblebee's color is based off his marvel coloring). I'm getting interested in reading these books, so I wonder if they're worth tracking down or ordering.

As for the gratuitous death, again it shocks me because it's based on a hasbro line for kids. I dunno, it just makes me feel uneasy seeing children's properties go that dark.

Thanks for the reply. Seems you're firmly in the "not worth buying" camp though. Hmm.

12. Altered Prime

Sorry typo

• Like Like x 1