Transformers is NOT an Anime...there I said it

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by twiztidRodimus, Jan 10, 2012.

1. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Okay. I was having a long discussion with a very TF knowledge limited person on my facebook (of all places) And I was trying to explain to him, that TF is NOT an anime, in the traditional sense.

Akira Toriyama, drew, wrote the story, plot and EVERYTHING about Dragonball z. BUT, People do NOT count DB GT, as canon as he did not write the story.

My point of view is. Yes, TF basic designs come from the Diaclone toys. Meaning, they were just toys. No story, no plot, nothing. And that was not american. It was animated by a Korean company, who had NO involvement in the story, AT ALL, they were paid a fee and drew G1. Which in the opinion of my ''friend'', is enough to claim it as an anime. I stated...NAY. If it were, things like GI Joe, Rugrats, Justice league unlimited, Tiny toons, Simpsons etc are anime, by his logic (which most, if not all, would disagree)

My reasoning is. How could we place things like GI JOE, Rugrats, and simpsons, in the same vein as Ghost in the shell, and DBZ? Point is, we can't.

Now

I do, however, give the anime nod to, the Unicron Trilogy, which were written, directed, and produced in japan. Hence, they get the Anime stamp.

BUT

G1, in my view is NOT anime, if anything it's a joint project, such as Spawn, though Mcfarlane wrote, created, produced the show, he commisioned a japanese company to draw it, not an anime.

I give anime more respect than just saying ''It's asian drawn, so it's anime''. I'm not an anime fan, but I do have views on the differences of what is and what isn't anime.

I apologize if this was brought up. And I only ask for respectful debate whether you agree or disagree. Thank you

2. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

You dont like anime?...:thumbs2: 
    I don't really like the style. There are probably some good anime's out there though.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Of course the first G1 show isn't anime. That's fairly obvious.

But headmasters, masterforce, victory, and zone? yes. the majority of the G1 segment of the franchise is anime.

4. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    You'd be surprised the people who believe it is, just on the strength of a korean company drawing it, with NO input on anything else. And yes, those series are anime, no denying that. But ALOT of people don't even consider those G1 either. It's their version of g1 continuity

And, No, I don't like anime. Only a few. Ghost in the shell, DBZ, Akira, Fist of the north star, and Ninja scroll (old school stuff)

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You are correct that Transformers (the original cartoon) is not anime. But it has nothing to do with who painted the cels.

The Transformers CHARACTERS were created and written by American writers. The episodes were written by Americans. That alone is enough to disqualify it as being what we consider "Anime". Add to that I believe a lot of the designs and most if not all of the storyboards were drawn by Americans, and you have a definitively American cartoon.

And I do consider myself a fan of anime. I do NOT see the word "anime" as being any kind of slight or insult. It's just inaccurate when being used to describe Transformers (the original) or GI Joe.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say that there are aspects that are "anime-influenced, but it's not "anime" like Akira, for example.

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Most people here are certainly aware of this, but for those who aren't this is all true. Anime is Japanese. Produced in Japan, written in Japan, EVERYTHING done in Japan. The Transformers was produced in America, written by American writers. It may be anime-like, but then again, so is Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I think why people rope it in with anime so much is because of the more "realistic" style, and how it features giant robots. GI Joe was made by Sunbow too, but you never see it roped in with anime at all, and the animation in both shows is pretty damn similar.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think the other big reason a lot of people think of TF as anime is that it and GI Joe looked SO much better than 99% of the American-produced cartoons of the day.

9. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    People think G1 is anime? What kind of heathen world am I living on?!

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    On a superficial level, I understand the confusion... due to TF being generally better-drawn and animated than what kids were used to seeing on US tv at the time it first aired. Certainly in the way it was animated, the types of visual effects used by Toei, and stuff like highlights in the human characters' eyes. Its Toei pedigree is VERY clear just by looking at it. Visually, yeah, the better-animated episodes look very Japanese. Because they are. It's the stories and style of the characterizations, more than anything else, that identify the show as uniquely American. (Which is also why the Japanese floundered so badly when first trying to create a continuation with 'Headmasters')

11. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Let's see...

North American Productions:

US G1 - 98 episodes, written in NA. Not serialized, not Anime.
    1986 Movie - Not Anime.
    US Beast Wars/Beast Machines - 78 episodes, serialized with CG animation, written in NA. Not Anime.
    Transformers Animated - 42 episodes, serialized. Written in NA. Not Anime.
    Transformers Prime - 26 episodes aired, with 26 more planned to air. CG, not Anime. Doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon.

Total episodes: 276 and counting.

Live action movies:

TF1 - Not anime.
    ROTF - Not anime.
    DOTM - Not anime.

Total movies: 3 and counting.

Japanese Productions:

Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory/Zone -122 episodes total, serialized. Anime.
    BW II/Neo - 78 episodes total, serialized. Anime.
    RID - 39 episodes, serialized. Anime.
    Armada/Energon/Cybertron - 155 episodes, serialized. Anime.

Total episodes: 394. No news on any future TF animes.

It looks like going off of just episodes and movies, the Anime portion of Transformers outranks the US offerings. However, taking into account the fact that the Transformers story had it's origins in the US/NA, with the US/NA shows more generally well known and ongoing, three US made blockbuster movies, and no news on any upcoming anime series...I'd say that Transformers is definitely not an Anime franchise.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    In any case, he seemed to only be talking about the original 1984 cartoon, not all the later additions and reboots.

13. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got that. I just thought it would be nice for this thread to have a wider view that takes in the filmed/animated franchise as a whole.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Fair enough.

15. jordy

jordy Banned

News Credits:
    Get this in Australia we have a cosplay comp called the "Madman cosplay comp" lol to the name. It is held at a convention in every state for supanova, they claim that to enter the competition you need a japanese anime based character. I asked them what about the transformer series and they said only ones that appeared in the g1 series. Now my question to them was how can we do that when most of the characters in that series were in the last 3 g1 american series!

But inregards to the dbgt series YES it is cannon he sold the rights therefore it happened they need to deal with it.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I certainly enjoy your post and find it useful. However, TRANSFORMERS isn't really either one or the other overall. The brand has its roots both on US soil and that of others. There are influences from many genres of art (which you noted as well :) ).

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Off topic, but I just wanted to chime in that Toriyama never "sold the rights" to anything Dragonball. He created Dragonball for Shueisha, had to follow corporate orders when making it (such as extending it past the cell games) and he never had exclusive ownership of the series. Toei owned the rights to the animation from the start, and were free to make DBGT, and anything else Dragonball that they wanted.

18. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I wouldn't count Headmasters as an anime because it tries so hard to replicate G1's style. However, Masterforce and Victory are without a doubt anime.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It is an anime. It's an original japanese creation.

That's like saying Big O isn't an anime, because it's styled so closely to Batman: The Animated Series.

20. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Just because it's Japanese does not mean that it's anime.