Transformers- Is it worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by onslaught314, Oct 7, 2012.

1. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    I've noticed a significant decline in my interest of TF figures. I haven't bought many figures from recent TFPrime lines, and nothing from FOC. I don't feel, with the price increase and the seemingly lack of plastic put into the toys themselves, that they're worth the asking price anymore.

I'm sure this topic has been brought up multiple times. But I just wanted to know, does anybody else feel this way too?

2. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I'm a transformers fan, and a collector, my interest may temporarily wane, but I will NEVER, EVER, stop collecting. This dark time of low plastic and high prices will pass, we just need to get this economy back together. (NO POLITICS)

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I felt like that once, but that was from late 2002 to until Transformers Animated came on. I didn't stop getting figures, I just cut way back because I just wasn't into vehicle transformers much.

My advice would be to cut back and only get the figures, you really, really, really like. If that means get one in six months, go for it. Sooner or later, this mess will at some point get fixed and we might have good figures at a decent price once more. So just hang around and keep a eye out on what's going on in both media and in toys for Transformers.

4. PolythenePrime

PolythenePrime Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a figure in about 2 years. I honestly just got to the point where I had no more room, and ever since I stopped I have mostly become an enthusiast for the fiction and the numerous different continuities. Lots of great stories to find once focus dropped from just toys.

5. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I agree in part with both of you. The $16 smaller deluxes bumb me out but I feel like it will come back around. Meanwhile $3 kreon sort of blind packs keep me happy.

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you don't like what's in the stores right now, go and pick up some vintage items. If you're not after anything vintage, then save your money and put it towards something else. If you need to take a break and then come back when you feel that Transformers actually has something that interests you then so be it. This is a hobby, not an obligation.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think the more appropriate question to ask is: is it worth it right now?

My personal feeling is the change in pace, style, and feel of Transformers is turning away a lot of collectors. So don't collect the current retail releases. Times like these when your interest couldn't be any lower on the mass released figures is the BEST time to start filling in gaps from previous years. Missing some Beast Wars figures? Animated. Geewun?!

Are Transformers worth it anymore? Always will be. Are Transformers worth it right now? Maybe not.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

It's not worth it to me right now. I'm moreso dedicating my time and money to YuGiOh cards for one, and two, the quality of Transformers toys is declining. Too fragile, too many compromises made for the sake of show accuracy, etc.

9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's really shocking how fast it all fell off a cliff. HftD, Generations, and RtS might be the greatest TF lines ever. And then DotM brought the suck so hard and heavy that none of us were ready. We were not eased into the suck. The greatness in our immediate past confused us. "It's right there" we seemed to say. "Do that. That right over there. Make it like that".

FE Prime was even more confusing. Horray! Every last bit of the suck is gone! What? Oh, you're...not actually doing that... Oh, you're bringing the suck even harder...

Bummer.

I mean, I get it. Greedy criminal untouchable above-the-law bastards broke the entire world, and nothing will ever be the same. And I know in this new world Hasbro literally cannot do what it used to do. I understand all that. I just don't like it.

10. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Aside from Takara Masterpieces I consider all official lines to be a waste of my time & money and I've been buying mostly 3rd party for 18 months now.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm always cruising the isles to see whats on offer. Sometimes its been a great thing (hello, encore Optimus Prime !) and other times its not so great (yay, RotF/DotM Bumblees). I haven't bought a figure in ages. The Masterpiece line is took expensive for a man about to embark on married life, and I've little to no storage for newer stuff.

Its always worth it, but it bears remembering that you can also collect TF comics and other memorabilia until some figures you like turn up. Me, I've been getting the Cover Girls of the DCU statues.

12. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hadn't purchased a Transformer from the time I was 11 years old in 1987 with grass cutting money until last summer, when my son started to be interested in them. I have about 4 times as many transformers now as when I was a kid. When my son stops liking them, it won't be as fun. After this Christmas, I'm planning on sticking with MPs. Right now we have more TFs then my son will ever be able to play with at once.

13. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So many of these threads. Could have done a search to add on to an existing thread. It feels like we need one condensed thread for this stuff.

14. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    "The Be All End All Whine About Transformers Prices and Size Here Thread".

15. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    I just divert my finances to vintages and 3rd Party stuff when the main lines don't interest me (esp HASBRO stuff). There's always something to buy for me.

16. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I agree with the OP. The PRID line is garage, and the prices are insane. The FE Voyagers will be my last TFs for the foreseeable future. Putting my collecting funds towards Hot Toys. They're a lot more expensive, but there's less of them and they're so much much more enjoyable.

17. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

May be that should be a forum instead: so it could be forever out of the sight of those who could care less.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While I don't like every figure being released there are figures from both the Transformers Prime line and the Fall of Cybertron line that I like. I've also really been enjoying the Cyberverse line. Sure I don't buy every regular release like with the classics style Generations figures, but still plenty of figures that still feel worth it at slightly higher prices.

Part of it is also enjoying new releases while I can because the movie figures have been completely unappealing to me. Once retailers go into movie figure madness I know I'll be taking a break from buying new figures until retailers start stocking something that isn't movie related.

19. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome Idea.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I try not to pay retail for Hasbro ones as a matter of policy - If i'd paid 12.99 for Knockout i'd feel ripped off as I didn't - It means I'm free to like him more.