transformers investment toys to save for 20 years

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by coppertop5150, Feb 13, 2011.

1. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

So.... I am selling my toys from 83-88 Looking back had I known they would go up in value so much I wish i'd never played with them and kept them in the boxes . But thats the past. I see my headmasters went up in value alot so did most of the later toys from 1988+ as G1 was nearing end.

So...In 2011 what are the transformers one could aquire with little effort to keep in the box and store for 20 years pull out in 2031 and might have the best chances of having something of significant value with high collector appeal?

2. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't bother. The market is a different place than it was 20+ years ago so a lot of people are sitting on MISB toys.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Toys of any sort are not a good investment. Nothing produced now is likely to hold much more than retail value as the years go by save for stuff that is already rare and limited and highly desirable.

If you are looking to make a profit put your money else where.

G1 stuff is a special situation and even thats getting murky with all the High Quality KOs coming out.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    You'd be better off playing the stock market or trading horses.

5. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

I see guys makes sense. Back then we played with the toys and very few people thought to save them in the boxes sealed. One of the toys I have sealed were by chance say I got two for christmas and played with one and the other was forgotten about.

I just saw a big fortress maximus sell for big bucks on ebay awhile back MIB.

So I was curious if any of the new stuff had a few fivures that are going to be short run stuff .

I also understand about the KO's I have already read about people taking old incomplete toys they aquire then buying Ko's using the weapons/acess and trying to pass them off as real G1 toys complete.

Looking at all my g1's the real value is not in the toy figure itself but the weapons/aces parts that were often lost

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

THIS!!

People can't expect the same price hike as with G1 figures for movie and AEC series.

Classics/Universe/Henkei/Generations/RtS/etc figures are a different matter, but even these figures will probably not go over 3-5 times retail price in average.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Toy speculation is an extremely poor idea. You run the risk of storing a bunch of toys that end up being worthless in the vast majority of cases, and in others you rarely make much of a return on your investment. You have to be constantly vigilant against dust and damage to the boxes, and if you slip up the value plummets. You have no way of knowing in advance what will appreciate in value, and knowing what will get a dozen reissues and everyone will have. In short, it is a bad investment compared to nearly every other form of investment other than lottery tickets (and it might even be worse than those). The only figures to consistently hold their value currently are convention exclusives and other extremely limited releases, and even then its only known in the short term and there's a major risk of their "bubble" bursting.

Collect because YOU want the toys, and if you need to get rid of them down the line, maybe you can get back some of what you put out. When you got those toys back in 84, you played with them and they made you happy. Would they have made you as happy if you kept them in their boxes and put them away somewhere safe for 25 years? Doubtful.

8. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    In 20 years everyone may have a rapid prototype machine in their house. You could download toys off the internet and print them out. If anyone can get any toy from any era at any time, only the hardcore that MUST have the real thing will be spending money on vintage items.

9. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Don't invest (read: long term) in toys. You never know what will happen in the future. If you really want to do it, then speculate (short term).

I'm sure those people who bought multiples of Shadow Scyther to sell can attest to that.

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

I don't think they're necessarily any riskier than any other form of investment. Property can rise and fall dramatically, there can be flood damage, weather damage, vandalism. You can buy stocks and shares but with the rate of technological advance, and the dynamics of the global economy, the nature of any business can change overnight. There's very few sure things in this life.

One way in which toys are a pain is that it is tedious to store and sell them.

11. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I look at it like this. The first tf movie I can see being worth a few bucks because we all know the hell of a time it took getting some of those, they weren't so mass produced as rotf and soon to be dotm..but anyways I loook at it as if I make atleast a buck over cost then its worth it. A dollars a dollar

12. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Yeah but what if you lose money. What if nobody wants them and they won't sell. You have to be prepared for that. Why risk 10 dollars on the chance you might make a dollar profit?

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That's true, actually, but I think land and property are still better investments as they are statistically (the past couple of years non-withstanding) more likely to hold their value or appreciate in value compared to toys, especially when inflation is factored in. The return on toys in the vast majority of cases is probably less than the interest in a savings account, I would wager.

You're completely right in that investments are inheirantly risky, but good investments leverage higher risk with a potential for greater returns. I don't think a transformer-rich investment portfolio is likely to be considered a good investment. For every guy who we hear about who opens his attic and makes thousands of dollars on his childhood collection or comic collection, there's dozens who make garage sale prices on their stuff, and neither of these really account for the opportunity cost of buying and storing those items.

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    You'd be better off buying and stashing high-end sealed G1 figures, because as your post says, most people played with them and few kept them mint, the market is a lot savvier these days with more collectibles hence more high-grade standard MISBS being "preserved". But original G1 toys, sealed? Hell, they are not making any more of those.

Despite the above words of wisdom, I could never do that. If you can't transform a transformer, you might as well be looking at a picture.

15. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For those thinking of toys as investment, please remember those poor collectors (read me) who bought a bunch of X-men and Spawn figures back in the 90s. If I could get retail price for them, I would get on my knees and thank God.

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, I doubt even those'll be worth much.

People go on and on about 1980s toys being worth lots, but even that's not true in every case.

17. MrBurns

MrBurns Well-Known Member

Add Star Wars POTF :) 

The toy hobby is completely different now. More collectors do not open their toys therefore more MISB items. If you want to invest in toys, get original G1's. Not the modern stuff.

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

So Encores and TRU Reissues would be a bad investment?

Not that I care, just wondering.......................

19. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I agree, the money is probably safer in a savings account.

But why is it that every time I try to buy something I missed a few years back, it never seems to come cheap.

20. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    As others have said investing in toys is probably a bad idea.
    However if you insist i would say Masterpiece and Alternators/Binaltech might have a better resale value in 20 years