Transformers: Infiltration #4 Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ZacWilliam, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: Infiltration #4 Review

Cover: I got the one with the human cast in large close-up (Verity's much more of a looker here than inside ;-) ) and Bumblebee and Ratchet (new style) below them. As with last week's Beast Wars #3 this was the only cover choice I got since the store only had one copy on the stands. :(  Sadly, it's probably the least cool of the four. The others are Starscream (new style), Bumblebee holding on to Blitzwing's barrel while Ratchet and Skywarp look on (all G1 cartoon style), and Bumblebee (old style) holding a BFG by Andy Wildman.

Page 1: A flashback to Verity's childhood (only 3 years back really) where we learn that she was a very bright but very troubled little girl in the custody of child services who ran away no matter where they placed her. I guess this is a good a time as any to address the human cast issue. There are a good number of fans who think the book has focused on them too much in this first arc. There are some who think that ANY focus on a human cast is too much. My feelings on this are two fold: 1) I don't mind having a human supporting cast when dealing with the war on Earth, since it makes sense for humans to be involved, though they shouldn't, in most cases, take on more focus than the TFs, whose book it is after all. 2) This storyline has been all about reintroducing a new interpretation of the TF war (where being "robots in DISGUISE" matters and it actually feels like a hidden war on Earth) given that, it makes sense for the humans to have a bit more of a focus in this story than they usually should once the book gets up and running. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have a real problem with the part Verity, Jimmy, and Hunter have played so far, or their sticking around, though I hope the focus shifts more and more to the TFs with each coming issue. Oh, and Su draws Verity as a pretty cute little girl trying to look tough.

Pages 2-5: We see that Verity's still trying to be tough as she lowers herself down into the very scary darkness of the supposedly abandoned Decepticon base. Su does a great job in showing us, by her expressions the fear that Verity's trying to cover. Ratchet and a disturbingly hot Bumblebee (there's a phrase I never thought I'd type) are there to advise them as holograms while their actual bodies look on from a short distance away. As the other two humans join Verity below, Ratchet is still rather upset over what he's been talked into, but Bumblebee points out that even though it sounds harsh, given the current situation the three human kids are expendable and worth the risk. I like that Furman isn't letting Ratchet off the hook for using the human teens like this. The fact that he hates it and Bumblebee makes the counter argument for it, helps it to feel more realistic and understandable than it frequently is when Autobots put young humans in danger. And again Bumblebee hologram = disturbingly hot.

Pages 6-7: In Dallas, Tx at a company called Epsilon Holdings a gathering of bigwigs is held. A cowboy-ish Mister Dante greats a man named Drake, who is introduced to a Miss Svenson and the corpulent Mr. Jolly. (Those names sound kinda intentionally fake, like Stoker last issue, but then with characters actually named Verity and Hunter, it's kinda hard to judge :)  ) They review evidence that the "visitors" are stepping up their time table (all the things the Cons blew up last issue) and decide that their group "The Machination" must do likewise. Thankfully, they say that Stoker has left them a homing signal from beyond the grave. Which I'd guess is the computer Verity stole, that likely now resides inside Autobot base (uh oh). Hmm... human conspiracy to get TF tech huh? Been done before of course, but could lead some interesting places. Make things more dangerous for both the Bots and Cons alla the R.A.T.T. troops in the old Marvel Comics.

Pages 8-11: Back in the dark depths of the Con base Verity's trying to raise her courage by giving herself voice-over narration as she records, but get's embarrassed and calls Hunter a loser when he notices over their com-links. Fairly funny and "in character" dialogue for two teens. Hunter and Jimmy ain't found nothin' but just then Verity comes across a big tree of human-sized stasis pods. All are open except one. Dun-dun... Despite a warning from Hunter she tries to be the tough girl and open it. Mistake. The contents cause Verity to FREAK out. Only when Hunter offers to come to help does she snap out of her fear, wipe away her tears and force herself up with an angry look telling him she can do this herself. I actually like this sequence a lot. Both Su's art and Furman's script do a great job of building suspence and conveying the emotions of Verity. I complained about the a bit of sketchiness to the art in places on #2 and 3 but there's none of that in evidence here. Su's pencils and facial expressions are very nice, expressive and tight.

Pages 12-14: Outside Bumblebee is getting bored and Ratchet is getting worried. Ratchet gets the heebies just in time to save them from an attack run by Blitzwing and Skywarp. Love the exchange between Blitz and Sky here. :)  It's odd to see Blitzwing drawn like a real jet. Before this he was always drawn like the toy. BB and Ratchet dodge and weave through a growing wave of explosions and Ratchet calls the humans to get the heck back to the surface, now!

Page 15: Hunter and Jimmy give in and start to head for the surface, but Verity's found a lit room up ahead and wants to check it out. Despite Hunter's yells of protest she ditches her com and heads in. This issue does a great job in characterizing Verity (and Hunter too, if only in his responses to her). She clearly has some major issues totally aside from giant alien robots and that makes her more real. I like her more and more as this issue goes on, just because she becomes more and more of a three-dimensional character, which is actually something pretty rare for the TF human cast.

Pages 16-20: All TF fight sequence! A lot of fans have been waiting for one of these and at last their wait pays off. Bumblebee vs. Skywarp and Ratchet vs. Blitzwing! The fight is fairly long and pretty darn cool, and best of all I love the way everyone's really in character here: Bumblebee is plucky and more dangerous than you'd think, Skywarp is tricky but dumb, Ratchet is more of a thinker than a fighter but USES the one to compensate for the other, and Blitzwing is a just plain deadly opponent who uses his triple-changing to surprise and conquer his foes. And OUCH! poor Ratchet. The last time I saw something that bad was when Starscream fired Megatron at him in TF:TM. Is this the end of our hero? Su does a great job on the visual storytelling here, As I said, the art is tight and clean. Nicely done. Like the BB tf sequence and his design is growing on me. Ratchet even has what amounts to a new version of his old arm laser from the Marvel comics which is pretty cool in itself.

Pages 21-22: Alas poor Ratchet. And Verity enters the room and hears a voice, which turns out to be pretty much the last person you'd ever want to run into anywhere. And he seems to have seen her. Scrap. Like the new design I think. It looks like the classic one and the War Within one kinda smooshed together, with a little of G2 stirred in on the side. Next issue should be both fun and exciting judging from the two page preview. Wonder if we'll learn exactly what the Cons are up to. Oh and Ouch again for Ratchet! I hope Prowl feels a bit bad about the way he acted when he sees what it's done to our favorite Doc.

In Conclusion: A very good issue. The art seems very nice, clean and finished, the book looks good, and Su does a great job with both storytelling and mood. The new designs are growing on me a bit as well. For the first time none of them bothered me or took me out of the issue at all. We got our first real dose of real TF action with Ratchet and Bumblebee getting a good bit of spotlight and a cool fight. I like Verity, I like the slow burn way Furman has brought the TF war more and more into focus, and all the mystery about what exactly is going on, and I can't wait to see a certain Decepticon in action next issue. Provided the "Machination" guys are a side-threat and don't threaten to take over center stage I can't think of a single thing to complain about here. It was a good, fun, well written TF comic. I'm eager for next issue now. My Grade: a solid B+

2. Jasonnin

Jasonnin Well-Known Member

Megatron's a tank. :( 

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was definitely the best issue of "Infiltration" so far. Lots of great action and cool transforming scenes. Great to see Megatron finally. I liked how on the last page when Verity was scared it had the quote about her being scared as a youth. Great issue.:thumb 

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty nice. Verity's still mildly annoying, but the fight between the TFs was great. Really wonder what Megatron's doing there...

5. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Why is that bad? Who cares if the gun was the original. the gun was stupid. He is here to kick some ass, including that of his wayward lietenant. He should do it all himself, not have an alt-mode that needs someone else to hold him.

6. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Verity, on the cover, kinda looks like Jessica Alba.

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah I got disapointed too. Megatron is a Walther P.38 always was and always will be!!!!
    But the story is getting kind of interesting. Much more action in this issue and we see a lot of transformation, but still, Megatron not a gun.... :mad 

8. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Yeah yeah, and Screamer's an F15. Times change. Megatron has been protrayed as a tank/war machine in pretty much everything but G1.

And...badadabumPA! This...ain't....G1.

PLEASE don't turn this into yet another "Gunn not Tankk" thread.

9. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i dont care if he is speedboat as long as they have tf in it. im ready to start buying them now. yea

10. Jasonnin

Jasonnin Well-Known Member

If they screw with Prime, I will officially quit buying IDW transformer comics! :banghead: 

11. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    :horse:  :horse:  :horse:  :lol 

I didn't get a chance to pick it up yet. sounds good. :thumbs2: 

12. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I can understand TRUKK not MUNKY. I really can. An animal turning into a robot is crazier than a car turning into a robot, and some people can't handle it. But GUNN not TANKK is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. They is nothing going for it except nostalgia, the rose colored glasses of your experiences as a child before you were wise enough to understand how terrible it is for the most evil, most powerful bot on Cybertron to turn into a little gun and be weilded by his traitorous subordinate. If you really wnat him as a gun, think about this: What is a tank but a really big gun on treads. Do you want this big mad mutha to be a little gun or a big gun? Tank is the perfect form for Megatron.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Would any of us be here if not for rose-tinted lenses?

14. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

I actually pointed this out in my review, but in case you didn't catch it, there's an intentional Easter Egg in this issue, and another one which I think may only be a co-incidence, but you never know...

The intentional one is in the first page in the office; look at the graphic on the lady's coffee mug, and see if it doesn't remind you of a Cyclopean Decepticon Military Operations Commander.

The co-incidental one is in the writing, in the line where Jimmy says he's "spooked like Scooby". Like I said, this might not be intentional in the script, but the original voice actor for Scooby-Doo also happened to be the voice for this comic's star, Ratchet; the late Don Messick.

Outtsyder

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    not to mention that hunter looks mysteriously like Shaggy from Scooby Doo

o_____o *just noticed*

16. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    uh, what? this IS g1. duh.

but yeah, i know what you mean, but this is suppsoed to be g1. just, think of it, alt reality g1. still g1 tho'.

17. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

We should be getting used to it by now.

No- G1 died when Dreamwave went Enron :( 

We won't if you won't.

Co-signed. So far, this latest re-invention of the wheel has yet to roll.

Change for the sake of change is seldom good.

Fortunately, you don't speak for everyone.

Well, I do know that if it weren't for G1 (Gun, not tank), then there wouldn't have been a G2, BW, BM, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, or an upcoming film.

So really, dissing G1 really aint cool after all. There's a lot more to it than simple nostalgia.

This story had better pick up- and soon. After a 3$ purchase, I can sit on the can and finish the issue. At least with Dreamwave, I got more out of it. They packed a LOT in their issues... and they even had enough respect for G1 to continue it.

SB

18. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Words well said!
    G1 ROCKS :rock 

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    *sigh*
    Prime will most likely be a truck. G1 Prime always is. I see no problem with G1 Megatron being a tank, however. Whatever lets him cause more damage, I say.
    I have to say, I am enjoying Infiltration more with each passing issue. And the humans really aren't too annoying either.

20. Dark_T_Zeratul

Dark_T_Zeratul Well-Known Member

I agree with Dalarsco. It really does make far more sense for Megatron to be a tank than a handgun.