Transformers in the Office

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Trenner Dios, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I just got a new job a few months ago at my company that moved me out of a part-time data entry position, and into a full-time position in the e-Commerce department. I have a manager-sized cubicle (it was the only one available), and a lot of empty space. I would love to have some TFs or other figures to give it more personality. I'm thinking maybe just Masterpiece Grimlock for now.

I don't think for a second that anyone I work with or near would steal anything like that, but I can't help feeling paranoid anyway. Like I'm inviting it to be stolen just by putting it in that position, no matter how unlikely it would be. Does anyone have figures decorating their workspace? Anyone ever had anything stolen from work?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Unless you work at Google I'd highly recommend that you keep the toys and work separate, unless you're settled at that place, or looking to jump ship soon. If you really need to have some TF's at work I'd at least wait until you've been there for a few years. I'm not big on mixing work and personal stuff.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^

Agreed, I used to take my Joe's to work and everyone looked at me weird lol

4. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

Do it!

[​IMG]

that's not even half of what's in my cube.

5. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I'm not big on what other people think, and my main group of co-workers have a good idea of the things I'm into and the type of person I am. We have a fairly casual atmosphere here. I already have over 20 MST3K mini posters decorating the wall, plus a 2004 Calexico calendar that's hanging up just for the artwork. Other than that I just have a frame photo of me, my wife, and my sister, a small cactus garden, and a strange little pig statuette that the merchandising department gave me for helping them out.

6. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have one reissue 84 Bee that I keep under my monitor. If I need a TF fix I just fiddle with that. Unless you work at a toy/cgi/video game company or at a place where it is an accepted culture, I would avoid keeping Toys at work.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Security is too high at work for me to bring in anything at all, so no TF's at work for me.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I agree with the "wait until you're settled in for the long run" ideas. I've got most of my G2 stuff at work, but my office is pretty big and I've been here for a while. That and everyone needs what I do here so nobody will probably mess with my stuff.

If you're worried about your toys getting swiped, best to err on the side of caution and not bring them. Or at least keep them out of sight.

9. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as the corporate vibe allows for it I don't think there's anything wrong with having personal effects in the office. I have an office but I've just never gotten around to really bringing anything in. The only thing I have is a Marvel Legends Spider-man. I used to have a Choro Q Convoy too but decided to take him home. My one rule is I don't leave anything here that I wouldn't be devastated by its loss. Yeah people seem trustworthy but you never know. Why tempt people?

10. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

I used to have tons on my desk (and drawer - they got swapped out regualrly) and no one seemed to mind. I switched jobs and so far only Revoltech Megatron and Starscream has made it over here. I've had a few people think they're really cool and no one has said anything negative.

11. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I have some micromachines in my cube and no one ever bothers them or gives me crap about having nerd stuff at work. As far as stealing, I say bring in something a little less expensive and see how it goes. If you're worried about profesional edicate leave the smaller toy(s) around for a bit and see if any bosses or supervisiors mention anything to you about having that sort of thing at work. If they do say something to you then I recommend that you knock any papers that they're hold out of thier hands, spit in thier face, and quit on the spot.

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

If I worked with you I'd steal your stuff.

13. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Same here, I don't have any here because I don't want to tempt anyone when I'm not around. I've had food and utensils taken from my desk when we're all gone for the night so I won't bring anything of value in.

That and my office has florescent lighting. Wouldn't want to induce premature yellowing having my white and light colored TF's sitting under florescent lighting for 18 hours a day.

Mark

14. Salty

Salty Fritobot

I used to keep a voyager Prime on my desk. Once a week or so I'd change modes. No one noticed or cared as far as I could tell. Now it's PCC Smolder...no drones. For all anyone knows it's just a little red vehicle. There's all manner of stuff on peoples desks around here so it's not an issue.

15. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

Agree 100%! Hobbies are best kept outside of work, in my opinion. Plus, unless you, like me, work for a family run business, I don't really know if you could trust everyone in the office, some of your Transformers might go missing, perhaps as a sick joke from a co-worker who thinks your hobby is childish, or if you get on someone's bad side, I'd just beware.

Work is no place for toys, but that is my opinion. ;) 

16. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I used to have a few toys at my work but I was there for 10 years total (prob started bringing a few things after about 4-5 years). I had a WST Soundwave but one day I came in to work to find it crumpled up on my desk and an arm and the gun the arm was holding was gone. I think someone's kid may have messed with it (one of the employees would come in after hours to clean the office and would bring her two boys in with her) they were usually good kids though so after a short period of dissappointment I got over it.

Other than that I regularly kept a couple classics figures and an extra G1 minibot plus a 25th Ann. Destro on my desk but everyone there knew I was into TFs and it was never a problem. It would give me something to fiddle with while on the phone and such. Oh I also had a matchbox car of my vehicle sitting under my monitor.

I'll agree with another post and say that whatever you bring in, be sure that it's something that you won't be terribly dissappointed if it's lost or stolen. Also, smaller is better, at least at first.

17. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

That where I keep my KO minicon sized bots. I wouldn't leave anything more expensive than a legends size figure.

18. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to have quite a bit at work. My Alts, MPs, a few random repaints that didn't fit anywhere on a shelf at home, and some GI Joes. Don't really collect Joes but they were Sigma 6 figures and my company is big in t0 6 Sigma so I thought it would be funny to a few Sigma 6 Joes. About a year ago a rash of thefts started in the office, Bose Headphones, iPods, etc. So I quickly packed up the Alts and MPs. Basically the only things in my office now are some PCCs, scouts, and my G1 Movieverse repaints. Oh the 6 Sigma Joes too. If you want a few to fiddle with I would suggest a few small ones that if mysteriusly went missing you won't miss.

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a movie Bee and a lightning McQueen on my desk, and a printout of the pic from my signature on my wall. I had more stuff before, but took it down because I got bored...I'll add more again sometime soon.

I see no problem with it, but you really need to gauge your coworkers personalities. I work in the same office with Primus (and he has more TFs on his desk too), and even though we work in a corporate environment, there are a lot of geeks about and people have no problems showcasing some of that. But there IS such a thing as too much or too many I think, just keep it manageable and don't let it become too much of a presence on your desk.

20. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Here's my awesome shelf full of TFormers at work....yeah...I only keep one at work and that is Turbo Tracks. I have 2 of him at home so I brought an extra one to keep me company...haha

[​IMG]