Transformers in Reality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by matadormi5, Jan 18, 2007.

1. matadormi5

matadormi5 Well-Known Member

I was watching one of the interviews, I think it was Don Murphy, and he stated that this movie is "what a real Transformer war would be like on earth NOW" And I was also watching that show FUTURE WEAPONS on Discovery....it got me thinking: How possible is it that we will have real transformers. (NOT LIKE A REAL OPTIMUS OR MEGATRON FROM SPACE BUT JUST A TRANSFORMING ROBOT SOLDIER)

I think it is a logical possibility in the near future because:
    1-Robots are replacing humans in the battle field, slowly by surely
    2-A.I. will replace human control, possibly even give personality
    3-STEALTH- as seen in the movie trailer Blackout attacked the base. Highly effective form of attack

4-Versatility, switching between forms (car, jet, etc.) to the humanoid android mode all the benefits of both, with none of the drawbacks. An android can't fly fast but if it turned into a jet, problem solved

So yeah just some stuff I came up with while watching Future Weapons, i think its pretty logical.

2. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Robots will inherit the Earth. Robots Robots. Robots Robots. Robots in disguise.

4. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Well... I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords. I'd like to remind them that I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their futuristic energon caves.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'd so would like it if the Transformers were for REAL. Been fantasizing what would happen if they were... I'm almost thinking of writing a fanfic based on my fantasy... but for sure, I would so like it if there were actually real-life Transformers.

6. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Not likely. Bipedal robots look cool, but dont make much sense compared to more 'traditional' vehicle forms. Never mind 20 foot plus bipedal robots. Bigger is NOT better when it comes to military hardware.

All that transformation gear adds extra complexity which is something you dont want in a war vehicle.

Humans are NEVER going to allow fully autonomous AI for war vehicles. We've got way to many sci fi movies showing the bad effects. As is, we have people complaining now about the remotely piloted and programmable drones we have now.

Transformers are cool science fantasy, but they arent realistic by any definition of the term.

7. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

The military will develop whatever technology it can that'll up its kill/loss ratio.
    We're getting railguns. Some guy developed armor that lets you get hit by a car and be unphased. They've been working on power armor for some time.

Robotic soldiers is a reasonable idea from the military's perspective. They would most likely come in many forms: wheeled, treaded, boat/sub like, insectoid, and ariel. They'd most likely be modular to some degree... weaponry at least.
    The human form, while versitile, isn't perticularly efficient. The thin forms neccesary to duplicate range of motion limit power. The bipedal design can be easily toppled, and while that might not cause immediate damage, it does leave the robot vulerable. Its quite a feat to get a bipedal robot to maintain its balance while walking today. The humanoid design is not without its upsides. It would probably be more trusted by locals, especialy if it was remote controlled rather then autonamous. A humanoid robot could theoreticly climb a sheer cliff, something other land based designs might not be able to do. A humanoid model equiped with hands(something else very complicated) could pick up enemy weapons and use them, another thing that would be hard to design into some of the other models.

But the interest here is in transformers, right?

Well, the classical transformer design doesn't seem very sound from an engineering perspective. I say this because in the alt mode, the vast majority of the functional parts of the robot mode serve no pourpose. They're dead weight. This is something that the new movie designs are a bit better at, many of their bot mode parts at least serve the pourpose of looking like car parts in alt mode. Idealy, every part should serve a pourpose in both modes. Prime's knee actuater doesn't do didly for him in truck mode. I believe figuring out how to do that is an engineering nightmare, though I could be mistaken.

I think Wing Gundam, for all its absurdity has an extremely justifiable transformation. Its very simple though, it basicly just points all of its thrusters in the same direction, and even then, its got a lot of range of motion that it has no use for in the bird mode.

From what I can rememeber of Macross (robotech) they hint at a well designed transformation. The internal parts reconfigure, implying they move into a combination where they're all still used but in a different way. The big flaw in this design is that the actuaters that move the parts are probably only functional during the transformation.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    YES! :lolol :lolol :lolol 

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Real transformers may be possible someday, but I have to agree with some people here that they probably won't be practical.

However, I can imagine a useful "transformer" with a more basic design...something along the lines of a long robotic snake made up of cubes connected with complex joints that allow it to conform to many different shapes and applications. Depending on the circumstances, it could contort itself into legs for walking, a monowheel for fast traveling, stairs, furniture, whatever the situation requires.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well that would kind of be like Gundam, Gaiking and Full Metal Panic. Except that there are humans in the robotic suits, but I guess it is plausible too, to have people pilot the machines from a distance not from a cockpit. But I can't imagine them fighting without a human controller. They can be kind of like battle bots!

11. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

I can see complex machines used in industry, but it doesn't seem to make alot of sense for combat. Maintanance and upkeep would undoubtedly be obscenely expensive. What benefit would we gain from such technology? The ideal weapon is something like a bomb. Extremely simple, incredibly distructive, and features a minimal number of moving parts. A humanoid machine screams Japanese animated robot more than functional military technology.

12. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    One thing my teacher put into perspective is that transformers are as possible as coming tommorow, depending on the size, a transformer is real, but its intelegence matter right know is important. But i mean when you take a look at ASIMO, wow, how close can you get to realism right their. I mean he ma not be bypedal but he certainly can walk, kick a ball, and hold glasses of water. I guess it would cost alot of money, but with the tech. we could have a transformer in the range of about the size of a guitar case. or somthing along the lines. But the bigger the slower the transformation. So maybe oneday we will see transforming heros from hasbro.....wait that might be a long ways away. (-_-)

13. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One major problem with giant bipedal robots becoming a reality is the physical stresses put on the legs of the robot. If a robot (mech, transformer, whatever) is created out of the current metals we have, in standard designs, and is to have any sort of armor (even just metal 'skin' about as thick as the doors on a car), the weight of the robot's structure would crush it's legs. Even if the legs could support the weight, the leg mechanisms for moving it would likely not be able to support it.

This of course doesn't mean we can't get transformers, but at the moment, they could only have a size of about that of a human or maybe a bit bigger, and could turn into a go cart or something smaller. You wouldn't likely see something the size of a car (well, maybe a citroen from a couple decades ago that ran on a 2 hp engine), let alone an actual military vehicle like a tank or chopper.

In space it might just be the answer for low gravity environments though. And once we get significantly stronger alloys and support configurations we might be able to deal with the additional stresses on the legs. For now though, you're definitely going to be stuck with minicons if anything

14. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

I can’t wait to see proper robots in real life. I have been waiting for a very long time so they better hurry up. The new ones which Sony has produced are very advanced and very very cool. So I reckon we will have kind of i.Robot style robots in about 40-50 years maybe a little longer. But I would so make mine to look like Optimus :D .

15. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
  16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Sure, real transformers would be cool...but have you ever seen Stealth? Josh Lucas surprisingly raises some articulate and interesting points pertaining to why wars should only be fought by people, if fought at all.

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I don’t need to see Stealth to know wars should only be fought by people so there is some sort of deterrent to fighting war.

18. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Well, I think humans and robots are quite the symbiotic relation ship, robots need us for service, and we need them for service, robots need batteries/electricity etc... we need food protection and hard workers. So really i think we would be doing the gundam thing in war. you pilot the mech.

19. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    touché

20. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    lol, but I think what the real issue here is how far are we going to go until we finally decided that A.I. is just to much of a danger to mess with. I mean watching stealth I can see know how A.I. could effect many different scenarios of human life. So really it should only be remote controlled and not have its own though process. If we ever get that far (-_-)