Transformers in Japan

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by soundwaveCA, Mar 17, 2009.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been wondering this for a long time now and have never really heard a complete answer to this question, how well does Transformers actually sell in Japan? I've heard various things regarding how well TF's actually do in Japan but most of them just second hand stories at Botcon or the odd comment posted on the internet. So if anyone has any solid information please share as I'm very curious about this. What about the show? Does it make any waves?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Well being in Japan from what I've seen transformers are pretty hard to find here unless you go to a big city or a toysrus, every now and then you'll find one in a store but rarely do you see them like in the US. Transformers seems more like a collectors thing now here and they're also more expensive here but I believe the quality of the toys are much more better overall then the US. Other then this it's hard to find them and they're a little more expensive but worth the buy. I don't think much people here buy them unless you're a collector.

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Interesting, do you think the movie has had anything to do with that like it has over here?

4. jon

jon That dude from the forest

News Credits:
    well im stationed in okinawa so technically im in japan. anyways the only place ive seen tfs here is the only toysrus on island. and i must say i dont see many toys gone. they still have some beast wars reissues here. but they do still have the new releases.

5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

They're pretty big. I head out to Akihabara for the new releases, and damned if the shelves aren't picked clean of them by the time I get off the train. The old ones are piled high, but if it's brand new, good luck finding it.

6. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're not too popular over there. Kids usually prefer Ultraman, Gundam, Masked Riders and Super Sentai over TFs. Still, it's hard to find a shelf-warmer and the toy stores always had them in the release date.

I never had problems to find TFs in Oyama-shi, Tochigi-ken. For vintage TFs, I went to Tokyo.

7. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

japanese tf shows created by toei [same people make sentai and etc]

8. drrockso20

drrockso20 Well-Known Member

how's animated doing over there?

9. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

It isn't. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't Animated not a Japanese release? I know they don't air the show there...

10. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Theres nothing of animated over here at all, just like it's said above some beast wars reissues, henkei henkei, and some encore. It seems pretty rare to find any here.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Aiming for collectors? Sounds good to me.