Transformers in Europe

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigB, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

Is it me, or is the European market disadvantaged in terms of Transformers? I live in Belgium and it's a miracle if more than half of a line gets released and prices are insane here (20-22 euros for a DOTM Deluxe (that's 29-31 USD) and 35 euros for a DOTM Voyager (50 USD) so even with the costs of import and a profit margin, that's a lot money for just one figure).

I also once bought a two-pack consisting of Movie Air Raid and Storm Surge and I soon realized that my Storm Surge figure had one leg that was longer than the other, so I went back to the store (which was in France) and discovered that all but one Storm Surge figure was like that.

And When I was a little kid, I recieved Magnaboss and Tripredacus as gifts. My Magnaboss came without Ironhide's weapons and I have learned over the years that this was the case with most Belgian releases of him and so I presume that unless they purposely sent the ones with the missing weapons to Belgium, that this would mean that a lot of European releases of Magnaboss didn't have Ironhide's weapons.

So I ask once again, is it just that I am unfortunate to live in Belgium? Or is it all in my head?

2. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's worse in Australia mate. Our dolllar is basically the same value as the US dollar, and yet we're still paying $25 for Deluxes, $50 for Voyagers and $89 for Leaders. Bloody rip off.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Wow, sounds terrible. I admit I hate that certain TF stuff is more expensive in Asia vs the US, but hearing your story makes me appreciate our much lower selling prices.

4. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

Yeah, but the worst part is, in France they only cost 15 euros (21 USD) it's still a lot but considering importing and profit I'd say that's a fair price. And I'm guessing Australia at least gets most of the lines. I have in total seen 7 HFTD figures here in Belgian stores, 2 of which were voyagers. I'd be a little bit more willing to pay these high prices if they at least gave us a decent selection to choose from. (Leaders are 100-115 USD here btw)

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Wow, sad story.

6. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, we get all the lines. Not to mention we seem to have better distribuation than the US, considering how easy it is to find Wheeljack and Warpath at retail here comapared to over there.

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    U.S volume retailers like Wal-Mart refuse full stop to pay mroe than price X per unit. That's why toy prices in the U.S have barely shifted over the last ten years or so, in spite of increased labour and material costs and a soft dollar.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that at the same time toy prices in Europe, and other markets, have risen sharply in that same period, but one might wonder if pricing in international markets bears the cost of the activities of stores like Wal-Mart?

That said, Irish pricing is more like 15 euro for a DX, 27 for a Voyager.

8. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

Wheeljack and Warpath? the only reason I even know of their existence is because I watch all of Peaugh's reviews. The packaging of several of my Transformers feature figures in the "also available" section that were never even released in Belgium (though one or two of them were released in France)

9. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

That's what I mean, with shipping, import taxes and a profit margin, the Irish prices are fair prices. I don't expect to get them at American retail prices, that would be impossible unless I move to America, but why do I have to pay 2 or 3 times as much as the American retail?

10. wildfly

News Credits:

Well they're suggested retail prices.

Truth be told, It's been easy enought to get DOTM DXS for 10-12 , Voyagers for 17-20 and Leaders for 42-45.

Hasbro Europe is apparently one entity as far as Hasbro INC is concenred, which would suggest that every branch of Hasbro in Europe is getting toys at the same price?

I might guess then that a chunk of the extra cost in Belgium, France, Netherlands, is due to something at the European end?

11. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Yeah.Same prices here.I'm not even hoping to see more than 3-4 waves here.First two waves will probably stay until Christmas,and then we will get something new.And that's it.

And I thought Lithuania was the only so bad at getting TF stuff

12. wildfly

News Credits:
    U.S gets first dibs on most.

Even some parts of Asia didn't get all of Generations in a timely manner.

13. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

Off course, like I said, there's the cost of importing the figures

14. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

3 or 4 waves? HFTD was probably only one wave here in Belgium and so far, DOTM has been only one wave as well.

15. BigB

BigB Unicron-eater

I can understand that there is a delay for releases overseas, I can deal with that. It's the fact that some figures don't get released at all and the high prices that I can't deal with.

16. HennepinCrawler

HennepinCrawler Virile Young Tabby

That's dreadful. Such injustice. :( 

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    And I b*ch alot about Canadian prices like $15 for a Deluxe, $30 for a Voyager and $50 to 60 for Leaders.

I take that back big time. Why can't Hasbro understand that North America isn't the only country that buys Transformers.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    What's with all the talk about European retail being so because of importing? Last I checked, all TF toys are made in CHINA, then shipped anywhere else. It's not like all figures gets shipped to the US, THEN from there to Europe? No, everything comes from China.

DOTM prices have risen in Greece as well. 40 Euros for a HA large figure [Skids and Bumblebee], 30 Euros for Voyagers and I haven't even seen any deluxes or leaders around. But we're talking about the market that has the Supreme Devastator from ROTF still on sale, 2 years later, at 110 euros.

It's seriously much, much cheaper to find somebody in the US, buy the figures, ship them loose first class and get them in your hands.

19. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Hasbro's distribution attitude towards Europe and the rest of the world is terrible. It's as if if you're not in America, they don't give a shit whether you have access to their products. Where I am, we only get the main movie releases.

It also annoys me when shops like Target get exclusives - because there are no Targets in Europe. So we get no chance except through eBay scalpers. Fucking ridiculous.

20. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

well i remember complaining about this in several similar topics here. i wonder if there's anything we european customers can do about this?

high prices, low stocks (or none at all for late waves), no-return policy (epecially for ripped packages- how can you free a deluxe figure without damaging the package at all?), no clearences (well may be in kids holiday since all the toys get clearence on that day). and importing is not a financially viable option even though it only solves one of the problems.

really hasbro, what do you want from us? why do you have to finance your giant shelfwarming bumblebees by ripping off european transformers fans? (though i suspect anywhere outside Japan and US have similar problems (south america, asia, africa etc). it's not those countries' retailers or collectors fault, of course they will want the best terms for themselves. but hasbro surely can be blamed for that unfair treatment.)