Transformers in Australia?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wajo357, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello all,

My wife and I will be going on a nice long trip to australia very shortly. She was kind enough to let me shop for transformers while we were there. The simple question is as follows: Where can I find transformers in Australia?

This question is really asked for figures from G1 up until the recent line. The recent line I can obviously get in the states. If these stores have rare figures that never hit the states - even better.

Thank you in advance for your help

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
  3. DeeMan

DeeMan Old schooler.

Collecting Transformers is a tough job for us Australians. :( 

Some of our local toy stores (Toys'R'Us, Kmart, Toyworld, Myer) stock the very occasional Alternator, or Cybertron toy, but the range is VERY minimal, if you can find it at all, and very expensive, even when converted from AUD to USD. We still pay far more than the straight USD to AUD conversion works out to.

We had all the G1 toys when they were out back in the 80's, but finding a G1 in store now, or even a re-issue is impossible, as they were never locally released in Australia. We generally get a VERY reduced selection from the US hasbro range.

In Myer today, the "Costco exclusive" Cybertron Magnus/Prime twin pack from the US retails for $169 AUD (which converts to US$128!), as our local department store chain "Myer" did a deal with Hasbro US to import it...

Though, a few of our Target stores still have stock of the Takara MP-02 Ultra Magnus (though he's becoming scarce), which Hasbro Australia did a deal to distribute direct from Takara, in a pretty lucky deal for us Australians (complete with Japanese packaging!). It started out at about $160 AUD, but as it's an expensive collectors toy that turned up in a very weird place (kids toys section of a department store), they've dropped the price to move stock.

I picked one up recently from Target for $90AUD, which converts to US$70, which is pretty cheap. We're charged around $50 AUD for Alternators, but the only one i can find on a shelf anywhere is the Dodge RAM Prime...

We didn't get a local release for MP-01 convoy, or 20th anniversary
    prime... (I bought my MP-01 from Hong Kong, it arrived a little over 48 hours later, even when ordered Saturday morning).

So yeah. You're far better off to shop in the States for Transformers, as our pricing, and crappy range makes it a very tough gig here, and hard to find if you're a tourist, as they're pretty much non-existent in any tourist area, you need to get into the shopping centres in suburbia, and then the pickings are still very slim.

Our only saving grace is we're close to Asia, with affordable and speedy shipping from Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan. That, and i fly to Singapore occasionally with work, which helps...

4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

What state are you visiting mate? The best thing for you to do is try all the department stores near your hotel or wherever you'r staying. Also ask some locals abut collecter stores or comic book shops in the area, there you will find more interesting momentos rather than main line figs.

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    TF selection here is decent. I think Dee shops at crap stores, because I find everything I want, and if I don't, I wait for it to show up. Australia gets nearly everything the US gets, and occassionally things the US doesn't (for some reason).

I once managed to pick up Red Armada Thrust in a local toy store, after almost stumbling over the wicker basket it was in. He was apparently only released in Japan, Italy and Isreal.

I never opened him for fear of destroying the space-time continuum and causing a time storm that makes the Autobots lose the Great War.. I expect BW Megatron to visit me any time now to do so.

6. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The only hard thing for us here is the prices. Too high compared to what you guys pay. But for new stuff, we have it pretty quick, even quite a few times we get new stuff before you guys do.

Alternators can be a funny thing here at toyworld. They price them usually around the $30AUD mark, but you never know what you'll find. One time I checked they had some grimlocks, last time I checked they had some windchargers. Only TRU are bad for alternators only having the same ones all the time (hound, silverstreak, miester).

And yea, Dee probably just has crap store outlets around him that don't tend to have much inventory, while I usually have plenty around where I am.

As Galvatom mentions, it's handy to know where you'll be visiting to give some more information. And follow on the links Voiceroy has as we all post over at ozformers the latest toy sightings to our areas we peep out for new toys. :) 

7. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NZ has a way better shipping distribution for TF than anywhere else, should come shop here instead.

8. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

If you're in Brisbane, the upstairs Toy World in Queen Street is good.
    Has loads of TFs and the statues too :) 

9. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :ev:  Shame about the country there in the 8th state :ev: 

10. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Yeah but you also don't get a bunch of crap, so what's the point? :p 

11. DanielGuardian

DanielGuardian Member

The shops here are quite... enigmatic in their approach to Transformers. Different retailers will often collect one line but not another, however those different retailers might actually be in the same shopping complex. Prices and variety are the biggest issues and personally I've become accustomed to shipping stuff in through eBay and bigbadtoystore.com but as said, comic book shops are your best bet for discovering hidden locations. Some of the best finds I've made have been in tiny, hidden away shops that one person visits per month so keep your eyes open.

12. Wajo357

News Credits:
    Well, I'm in Sydney and I'm having a great time. I haven't seen any collector stores or toy stores in the two days I have been here so far. Then again, downtown sydney might not be the best place. Any good places around?

Thanks again

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's Hobbyco in Midcity Centre mall on Pitt Street, but they hardly have any TFs. Last time I went there they had some G1 keychains... And there's a place called AstroHobby or something in Galleries Victoria (near Town Hall station) and they have some import toys. Upstairs in the same building there's Kinokuniya bookshop, where you can find Japanese hobby magazines. They had Japanese G1manga.
    But I am pretty certain you'd get better deals in America.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay :) 

14. Wajo357

News Credits:
    just got to Cairns, anything there?
    Having a great time so far

15. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really.
    Just a TRU and some toyworlds.

16. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

To Dee Man,
    I totally agree with you collecting Transformers IS tough in Australia it would seem that its only in the U.S, Canada or the UK I have searched in my local area and found only the Animated Series in Targets and K-Mart not far from where I live and the Transformer sound tracks by Steve Jabonosky is even tougher to get

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Whoa, zombie thread.

18. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Run-on sentences without punctuation makes my head hurt.

19. tman

tman Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    hi peolpes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.