transformers in anime book

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gaastra, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

3. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    Whoa! I want that book. Wonder what places might carry it over here?

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've borrowed that book before from my local library. Hard to believe it, but Transformers was a U.S.-Japan co-production. Transformers was animated by Toei, who also brought us Go Lion, the Japanese show which we know in the U.S. as Voltron.

5. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Which Toei produced Saint Seiya!!!!!!! :D 

6. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

Who are the authors of these books so I can check them out at my library?

7. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have a scanner to scan the picture.

TRANS+CRAZY do you have a scanner to scan it?

8. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Season 1 was animated by Toei Dagda for american tv, Season 2-4 was animated by Sunbow for american tv. The thing with 'anime' you have to keep in mind is intended audience. They were originally made for american viewings including the movie. Sunbow also did work on GI Joe, Inhumanoids and more. The japanese airings didn't come until later. Including them not even getting the movie till the early 90s. It's not until after our 3rd season, their 2010 series, that it becomes an anime as it's intended for japanese audiences from creation to distrobution at that point (our season 4 was not, and they again, didn't get it till later). This happens in many cartoons, as it's cheaper to animate overseas, than domesticly. That does not make, all the 80s cartoons animated in japan, anime though. It happened quite frequently back in the day.

Go Lion on the other hand, was originally an anime that was butchered into voltron, including two other animes that were to be butchered into more voltron, similiar to what happened to Robotech and Saban's Macron 1. Go Lion itself, was not originally created to become Voltron here, or even intended to be aired here till an american distrobutor picked it up, to edit it, and market it here.
    The second voltron was the vehicle force, which was an entirely different anime than golion, but shared a few crossovers. The third one would have been 3 robot merging into one bigger one, but while the toys were made, the dubbing of that anime was scrapped.

9. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Anime suck one and two theres only 4 series RiD,Armada,energon,cybertron and maybe alittle bit of beast wars

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Heh, I already have that book, weirdly enough.

[​IMG]

Its in there somewhere on the right...

11. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Beast Wars 2nd, and Neo. The CG ones were canadian made with the intent of airing in Continental North America (no clue on mexico).
    And 2, anime doesn't suck, there is too much variety to make that grandeous claim it all sucks, while some do, some are quite well done. The upcoming witchblade R1 dvds, and Death Note DVDs are a prime example. Even Higurashi. It's like stating all american animation sucks, after only seeing 3 cartoons. That is not a fair statement to the sheer amount and variety presented in America. As most anime fans try to make the claim of.

My point was, it's intended audience is the seperation, not where it was animated. If that were the case, many Disney movies would be hailed as french animated masterpieces. As one of Disney's bigger animation studios for handdrawn cel work, is located in france.

Whereas, something like Code Lyoko, is a french animation, as it was created initially for the france market by a french studio, but hit a quite global niche when other nations picked it up due to it's popularity. Similiar to what happens to many japanese studio animations that were intended originally for japanese viewership like Dragon ball and Naruto, but picked up globally due to their home nation popularity.

Another example is the upcoming TF animated, it's animated by Mook, a japanese studio, but it's animated from story boards, character designs, and scripts from America. With the intent of airing it in America. So while it's japanese animated, it's american animation intended. Similiar to how many of the 80s toons were done(outisde of the direct anime that was ported over, dubbed and spliced with other stuff).
    Whereas things like RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, were straightforward dubs of original japanese series, same as Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and Zone if they came stateside.

The anime terminology gets thrown around quite loosely these days, but in part, it can't be helped as french cartoons are also called anime. As it was their cultural influence on Japan for some word origins (since the 1800s). The french word for animated/animation is anime. And as such, their cartoons are called that.
    While Japanese Anime, was influenced originally by such works as steamboat willie, and Betty Boop (as quoted by the god father of japanese animation), the strong cultural and word origins from france still stuck. And can even be seen in the works influenced by the french author LeBlanc, among others. And even in the Maid Cafes that usually wear french influenced maid outfits. This is also why such things as Totally Spies, Martin Mystery, among others can be called anime, while they are not fake anime, nor made in japan, they were created and animated by french studios. And as stated france uses the same word for animation (as it is the origin of the japanese word anyway).

Transformers is also mentioned in the late 90s "Anime: Robot" Video Encyclopedia CD-rom and booklet.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I believe you are mistaken. Sunbow handled production for all seasons of the original G1 show, but they mainly worked on the preproduction side, acting sort of like the coordinator between the US and Japan sides. Toei handled most of the animation duties during season 1 and 2 (along with TFTM'86) and some season 3 episodes, before they started relying more on Korean company AKOM for season 3 and the entirety of season 4.

13. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Double post.

14. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    You are correct partially on the studios. Although the production aspects are a bit more complicated than that. I did misspeak about Sunbow though, but to my recollection, I only remember ever seeing the Toei Dagda Cat in the Hat symbol during season 1 credits, and the marvel productions logo during all. I don't recall sunbow's credit till the second season credits roll. But I may be mistaken on that.

Even so, back in the 80s of animation, this was quite commonplace to ship the animation duties of any show overseas (it was cheaper), besides Filmation, who did it all in the states.

The original cartoon series was produced by Marvel Productions under contract from Sunbow Productions. (Sunbow is a company that was established by Hasbro's advertising agency, Griffin Bacal, for the purpose of producing animation to sell toys.) The writing, voice acting, and most of the design work for the show was handled by Marvel Productions. The animation itself was done by a number of studios in Japan and Korea, although the vast majority of episodes were animated by either Toei or AKOM. The Transformers movie was also produced by Sunbow, Marvel, and Toei. After the American G1 cartoon ended, Takara produced more cartoons with Toei to broadcast in Japan.

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb/tf/faq/general/basics.php

While not exactly a great source, it does elaborate more on what I mean by American made and its intended audience. So even being animated by Toei Dagda at the time, it does not make them anime, until the audience change initiated by Takara wanting to continue airing the show in Japan. Starting with Headmasters, which, also done by toei, you can see the change in style towards the audience for it to be anime. Especially in the human characters, who are no longer restrained by American made designs from Marvel.

This is also why you see them actually eating what they say they are eating, as opposed to Riceballs being called donuts. :lol  In the Japanese intended audience ones, they start using more tradtional Japanese food orientation as anime does.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The first Transformers series was a US production, and practically all US 2D cel-animated hand-drawn cartoons are animated by Japanese or South Korean studios who (generally) aren't on the creative side of things, eg, most of them had nothing to do with character design or storyboarding.

On the Simpsons DVD commentaries they've pointed out studios based in Asia, particularly Korean studios, pump out so many episodes per week for various television series that they don't have the luxury of participating in the creative process, so the American production has to spell out exactly what they want.

I think this was explained to you in another thread, but Sunbow and Marvel Productions were the production companies, not animation studios.

Specifically, Toei animated all of Season 1, most of Season 2, the Movie, and half of Season 3, alternating with AKOM, who then went on to animate the truncated Season 4. AKOM also animated Season 2's City of Steel, The Autobot Run and The Core.

Toei also animated Scramble City, toy commercials and episode bumpers, as well as the Japanese G1 Transformers series that followed.