TransFormers IDWverse

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by KAGE, Oct 31, 2008.

1. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Not sure on if there was a thread on this but what are everyones thoughts on the new TransFormers by IDW? I love how its a reboot and were starting to get a solid story on the origin of the TransFormers and their history through out time etc...

But as of now whats is bothering me is "All Hail Megatron". It's a cool story but theres not much dialogue and the fact that they changed their earth forms is weird too.

**starting rant**

I think All Hail Megatron came too early, something like this could've waited till the middle of next year at best. Seeing that the new story is not doing too well compaired to Simon Furman's IDW series, flushing out his story would have been best before rushing such a change into the main series.

The first thing that bothers me is the change in their earth forms, we seen these characters time and time again. It was nice to see a realistic updated version of the cast. For a while is seemed like they were trying to keep within the realization of the Marvel Universe and not taking things to the "extream" to the point where their world was not too much different from our own. Cybertron had a realistic location in space, there were logical explations for silly gimmicks like Headmasters and Pretenders, things were just all around thought out very well.

But then All Hail Megatron happened and dont get me wrong its cool n' all but it's too soon. I think the whole TransFormers war could of played out for another 2 mini series of government cover up before All Hail Megatron came into play, to me this series just seems like a G1 version of the 2007 movie. I remember reading somewhere that in All Hail Megatron the TransFormers are no longer "In Disguise". Well that kind'a defeats the purpose of what TF is all about, but gives an explnation to why there in their G1 80's forms cause it really wouldent matter seeing that their not really trying to hide from anyone. But this series would have been "WAY" more epic if they would've kept the forms they were given from the start (EJ Su designs).

I really wonder how this series will play out and how will it effect the out come of future stories. How Im seeing it, this might turn out to be some post-apocalyptic war on Earth like humans vs humans, robots vs robots & humans, robots vs robots - LOL!.........so yeah -_-'

Alot could have been done before they went and destroyed the word or whatever seems to be going on.

2. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Transformers IDWverse held promise and after three years I've mixed feelings about it all.

I believe the company is trying too hard to mix Apples and Oranges in the same basket.

I wanted to like it but it's just too dark for my tastes. As for ALL HAIL MEGATRON I have a trouble with the book focusing too heavily on what would happen if they were left unchecked.

I wasn't expecting anything along the lines of knowing what their motivation is for doing what they do because I already know that no matter how much it's explained. A bad guy is a bad guy who cannot be redeemed and nothing more.

Without The Autobots as a catalyst and vica-versa, their existence means nothing.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

IDW-verse was fucking awesome. Simon was just reaching his stride and got cut off at the knees. I was sceptical and even down on Simon's writing at first, but subsequent re-reading the stuff has just endeared me to it even more. IDW are jerks for killing it in favour of AHM, which is, quite frankly, terrible.

Here's the old thread I mentioned, it has some pretty good and interesting points in it that might or might not be relevant to this discussion, but certainly shows my flip-flopping thoughts on the books :lol 

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/comic-books-graphic-novels/169890-have-idw-furman-jumped-shark-2.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  4. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    To me, IDW cutting short Furman's storyline and shoving AHM in is essentially a giant Fuck You from IDW to Furman. As some people on this board know, I am quite vehemently opposed to this AHM nonsense with it's lack of even the most basic story continuity (despite their IDW's claims to the contrary) and how the AHM books amount to a series of splash pages and big, pretty panels in lieu of plot.

I'm pretty sure that if Maximum Dinobots serves up any continuity link to AHM, it will be because Furman had to write/rewrite his material to fit McCarthy's, because thus far the AHM writer has apparently seen little reason to acknowledge much from previous writers, aside from a nonsensical throw-away line about the Machination.

What's funny is McCarthy doesn't like the 2007 movie, and said the best feedback he ever got for AHM was somebody saying it was like "getting my money back from the movie."

5. KAGE

News Credits:

I rather watch the 2007 movie than read AHM, anyone not liking the movie is just not open to change within the world of TransFormers. Yeah the movie had it's problems but all that would be changed (i hope) in ROTF.

But with that panel with Skywarp landing in issue #1 was an obvious shot from the movie, even with Guidi doing the art who also did the some of the 2007 movie prequal stuff. To me that just feels like the vibe he was going for.

The TF IDW universe can be fixed easly, but I rather them write this series off as a bad dream Optimus is having, with him getting the beat down so often (poor guy T_T) and get back to the "norm" w/ Furman at the head of things.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My ideal scenario would be Furman's intended story, but more than just him on writing duties. I like his story, but McCarthy and a couple others tend to do more effective dialogue of late.

Kind of wishing it felt more like the writers were working together rather than against each other, basically.

7. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    I enjoy Furman's florid and colourful dialogue. I'm a dialogue-reading sort of comic reader rather than somebody who's there to admire the pictures, and I feel I get more money's worth from Furman's stuff because he gives us plenty of dialogue, particularly what the characters are thinking.

I don't recall Guido doing any of the Movie books. Don Figueroa handled the Prequel and half of Planetfall. Andrew Wildman handled other half of Planetfall and the first Target movie prequel.

Alex Milne did the Movie Adaptation and the sequels.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

This is exactly what I think. I miss the old "Cold-War" thing with the various proxy wars fought across the universe.

9. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    I am surprised to discover that Furman is self aware of his frequently retreaded dialogue, and even uses the fan term 'furmanism' to describe it. Guess he's always been in on the joke, so to speak.

I love furmanisms!

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This is a good thread, Kage.
    Your initial post is so close to my own thoughts on the matter it's scary.

Another thing that bothers me is this:
    All Hail Megatron should be set in alternate universe.
    IDW said we were going to get alternate universes.
    I ate up Evolutions: Heart of Steel and looked forward to books on the characters from RID, Cybertron and, conceptually speaking, All Hail Megatron.

It seems that at the 11th hour it was shoehorned into continuity even if it spits in the face of that continuity.

We've got Decepticons in different alt modes, Insecticons, and even characters that should have been dead!
    I don't need an origin story and introduction for every character.
    I realize there are Transformers all over the universe.
    But you can't introduce me to the Reflector team in a story that has them stranded in parts unknown with one of the components apparently dead and then just have Reflector show up on Earth with no explanation at all.

Instead of going "Cool, Reflector's there," I am going "How the Hell did Reflector survive and get to Earth?"

I agree. I think that one of the things that Furman's writing did was really focus on the "Robots in Disguise" aspect of Transformers.
    It went a long way -even explaining how basically a living weapon, Sixshot, didn't have a disguise at all but rather had six forms that each shared a function: DESTRUCTION

Yeah, I was right there with you. My main complaint was that there were so many unanswered questions.

But, in hindsight they were all good questions.
    Not a single plot point was uninteresting.

So, instead of letting Simon finish his arc we get All Hail Megatron which seems to ignore his dangling plot points altogether while simultaneously creating some of its own.

To me, the irony of all this is that All Hail Megatron would work so well as an alternate universe. The dialog is sharp at times, the line work is great, and the colors are consistently fantastic.

11. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with Smasher. AHM should definitely be set in an alternate universe. It's really the only way to adequately explain the inconsistencies with what Furman's IDW-verse has already established. Hopefully, that will be the case in the end, but I'm not holding my breath.

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I liked dreamwave better.

13. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I have to agree with the majority of you, so far.

IDW-verse was going great until the 'powers-that-be' basically decided to say "screw you" to 3+ years of excellent backstory and still as-of-yet concluded plotlines. All Hail Megatron would work great as an Evloutions-type alternate reality tale, but it's just so painfully obvious that they are trying to showhorn it into a continuity that it just doesn't fit!

I just wish they had allowed Revelations at least run it's full course of 6 issues. It's bad enough they decided to cut Expansion out all together, but then they not only cut 2 issues off of Revelations, they also decide for some dumb reason to tell the story as a series of Spotlights? So he already had a smaller space to tell the grand finale of an epic story, but also the added burden of trying to maintain 'spotlight on an individual" aspect of the Spotlights series... Brilliant! He did a good job with what he had, but honestly... the Dead Universe story deserved a mch better ending than it had. Plus now there's still all the other unanswered Earthbound problems to deal with.... supposedly now he's had to cram that all into Maximum Dinobots...

Basically all I'm saying is... since it's only a matter of like 3 or 4 issues, is it really too much to ask to finish an awesome story before completely changing thinngs and moving onto something else?

Ugh. IDW has gone from great to headache real fast..

14. KAGE

News Credits:
    Mybe it was the coloring then...the art just reminds me of those books LOL!

Yeah, I dont see how it's so hard to work with people to get things to flow the way its suppose too. I just dont understand, if your going to do something then do it right or not at all, dont half-ass cause thats just being retarded.

:]

Well i dont know what to think on AHM, its really cool but as I said I just have mixed feelings on it. I wished Simon would of got at least 2 more arcs before they changed gears, it took them 3 years and not too much of anything really happened. Thats like watching your favorite TV show for 3 years and having the new season return and the show is something completely different, like WTF!?

But as for Reflector still being alive, theres no time period on Spotlight: Wheelie so you can say that Reflector crashed landed sometime after AHM ended.

15. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Our own Josh Burcham handled the colours of the Movie Prequel stuff, and yes, he colours All Hail Megatron :) 

Speaking of AHM, I've been informed that Shane McCarthy is currently over at the Allspark defending criticisms about the quality of his story, the various inconsistencies he's not addressed, and continuing to repeat his mantra that AHM was written with Furman's continuity in mind.

16. KAGE

News Credits:
    I knew I wasent trip'n LOL!

Do you have a link?

17. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
  18. KAGE

News Credits:
    A "soft re-boot" IDK, they just have alot of fix'n to do to make all this make since. But still changing their earth forms wasent necessary, I hope they just ignore that in the series after and everyone goes back to normal....

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Wow. I think I read the exact same post by Shane 4 times now. No disrespect meant but this is very frustrating since I invested so much into IDW's titles already and now I feel like I can, wipe my ass with them? Well no, that's too harsh. I still love the stories on their own I'd rather be reading Revelations #5 this month while seeing my first EJ cover for Expansion.

20. DiamondHead

DiamondHead HUH?

News Credits:
    It seems that Mr.McCarthy has been scared off by some bitter fans over at this fourm.
    Also as a side note to this,I'm finding it very funny that the apparent "reason" for this All Hail Megatron "soft reboot" is all because Furman's books were'nt doing well in sales.Well I read All Hail Megatron is doing worse,I'm glad it blew up in there fucking face.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008