Transformers: Identification & Price Guide

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MWB, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MWB

MWB Member

Hello, folks --

I'm Mark Bellomo, and I just wanted to post a little blurb here regarding the upcoming release of a new book that I just rec'd an advance copy of... my Transformers: Identification & Price Guide. In the book (as with my Ultimate Guide to G.I. Joe), I've covered every Transformers from 1984-1990 (yup, including Micromasters and Action Masters), with color pics of each and every TF from 1984-1990, a pic of all their accessories, their full tech spec text, full tech spec ability score meter, and a paragraph of collector commentary with some narrative nods to Dreamwave's 2003 Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye guidebooks.

I was initially going to call the book... well... "The Ultimate Guide to Transformers: 1984-1990," but I didn't feel that enough variants were included in the guide to warrant that "Ultimate" title. And since it's been two full years that my Joe book was released, I believe I've learned a few things about taking better photos, providing better (and more entertaining) info, and not leaving ANY BLANK SPACE ON THE PAGES WHATSOEVER... to the tune of about 80,000 words...

I suppose I'm sending this e-mail to promote the guide, and I HATE shelling for 'the man'... but I have a bit of faith in this book, and desperately hope that it meets with your approval upon release (April 28, 2007). You can see a copy of the cover by clicking this link (but it might be changed to a more INTERESTING cover...)

[AMAZON]0896894452[/AMAZON]

Please e-mail me at markbellomo2001@yahoo.com with any questions you might have about the book, and when my editor sends me some PDF's of a couple pages, I'll post them here...

Thanks for your time and patience,

-- MWB

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i've already got one awesome guide to g1, but i will probably pick this up...i saw it in the recent previews...need to doublecheck i ordered it...

however, a price guide of this size has gotta be outdated, or will be within 6 months. as prices continue to fluctuate all the time....especially with the movie coming out....

3. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    kool I've been looking for something like this at a decent price. Not so much for teh price guide but for pics and accessories guide.

Edit: and why's this thread sooooooo wide? lol

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind picking this up. Hope to see some sample pages soon.

5. MWB

MWB Member

Transformers Price Guide...

Well, it's more of a pictoral guide than a "price guide" per se. Since prices for G1 TF's are constantly fluctuating, I tried to focus more on accurate pics, extratextual comments, and solid info...

-- MWB

6. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I'll definately check it out, but I have the full run of the Cybertronians from Antarctic press and the Transmanuals, which are really good ID guides. So I'm not sure what I would need with another ID guide, but that doesn't mean I won't get it if I like it.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like others have said, between the Cybertronians, Transmanuals, Alvarez books, Generations, First Series Complete, etc... it stands to reason that most of the current fan base that wants a G1 photo guide have had multiple opportunities to get them.

That said, most of the ones I mentioned are difficult to track down and quite expensive, so a new guide might be a welcome offering, especially with all the cool extras you've described. Truthfully though, price guides really are a waste, and never accurate to a fluctuating market.

You've got a buyer here, though... good luck!

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm interested. I'm always up for a well done pictorial guide, even though I already own a few. The description sounds like it will be a good resource, and the price on Amazon is very nice. Will probably pick it up pending getting to see some sample pages.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Put it on my Wish List. :D 

10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought Mark's GIJoe book and it is/was FANTASTIC! I have several of the other books, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses...so there is plenty of room for Mark's new TF book.

If his TF book is on par w/ his Joe book, then it's a must have for your bookshelf!

* heads over to Amazon.com to place order *

11. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is it too much to ask for a single book like this that covers every TF line 84-now (cutoff with end of cybertron i guess)

12. racnruin

racnruin Decepticon

:D  I'll be ordering mine through Diamond Previews,Looking forward to getting it

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sweet! ive got a couple but i always love these things. looking fwd to it and thx for sharing previews.

that said, im always wary of 'price guides'.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with TreKain. Why not release a book that covers all the lines? G1 has been covered multiple times. How about a 2nd book with post G1 lines. Cover all G2, BW, BM, MW, RID, Unicron-trilogy.

I'm still going to check it out when I see it.

15. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Agreed! It's time!

16. MWB

MWB Member

New Transformers Guide...

Unfortunately, there is usually a page limit to collectible guide books (mine was 256 pp.), in order to keep that specific collectible book "reasonable" as an impule buy ($24.99 in stores, somewhere around $20.00 on amazon)... so to include every piece from every generation of TF's (G1, G2, Beast Wars, etc.) would be next to impossible. The book would have to be double or triple the size for this to happen, and therefore, double or triple the cost to the consumer.

And $60-75 for a collectible guide is a bit prohibitive for most casual collectors (but not us die-hards).

Any more questions, and I'll answer them a.s.a.p.

-- MWB

P.S. I absouletly agree about price guides in collectible books being relatively useless -- but the terms and conditions of the publisher stated that prices HAD to be included. Even if they help one casual collector to get a (very) rough estimate of value...

17. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I'll be ordering it, but do you know if it will also be carried in bookstores?

18. MWB

MWB Member

New TF Guide...

It will be available in all major bookstores. I've also contacted the admins, and am sending them two PDF pages to post to let people look at the book...

-- MWB

19. Chaosbringer

Chaosbringer Casseticon Master

just pre-ordered on amazon :)  let's see those 2 pages in the pdf :) 

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if you slap the name TF there, i'll buy it :D