Transformers History Master Book

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I'm curious. I've seen several interesting books dealing with the history and tech-spechs of Star Wars and Star Trek technology.
    These are very professional full color, and sometimes pretty thick books.

I'm wondering if there is anything like this for Transformers, or if there'd be a lot of interest in one? I'd like to see a big thick book showing the entire history of Transformers. The book would start off from the Diaclone ages, to the golden-age of Cybertron, to Transformers of today.

Is there anything remotely like this at all? If not, would it be worth pursuing? What would it be worth to collectors and fans?

How would I even start one?

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The closest attempt that's been made is Dorling Kindersly's "Transformers: The Ultimate Guide", which is a general coverage of Transformers history the way you describe it, including technical cutaways of Optimus Prime, Megatron and the Ark, among other things. It is FAR from comprehensive, though. Next year, we're due "The Transformers Vault", a book about which we do not know a lot, save for the fact it's written by one of the authors who has produced books of the like you speak of for Star Wars.

3. Tigertrack

Cool! Thanks for the info. I figured somebody has done something like this along the line. I'll look forward to TTV. Thank you!

4. Tigertrack

I just checked ebay for the book you mentioned. There are two versions, a paper-back, and a hard-back book. What's the difference between the two anybody know? One said it's 2004 I think, and the other claims to be updated version, 2007. Here are the links.
    Transformers The Ultimate Guide - eBay (item 270648793572 end time Nov-11-10 19:03:07 PST)

Transformers: The Ultimate Guide (2007, Paperback) - eBay (item 170522317212 end time Oct-31-10 16:05:49 PDT)

I'd like to know which is the better of the two.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The updated one is the same, just has pics of the alternators and a few pages on the movie. If you're not really interested in those, I'd say get the HC one, as at least it makes a good coffee table book

6. Tigertrack

Thanks, I am interested in the Alternators as well. Another question.
    How is this book different from say a collectors guide book? I've asked about one before in another thread, but that's not what I'm looking for now. I'm looking for a more detailed picture book with history, specs and what not.
    I assume this is not a collectors guide book for picking up the latest and greatest toy?

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, it isn't. check out this link:

Transformers: The Ultimate Guide - Transformers Wiki

It's not a real comprehensive book, I'll be honest, it's a cool overview, but, well, just read the link, it can sum it up better than I can

8. Tigertrack

Hmmmm, I don't like how they described the picture quality, and the quality of the toy's used. :( 

Hope next years book is better.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Ultimate Guide focuses more on the fiction as opposed to the toys. It got some heat when it came out because many of the toys were mislabeled, details were wrong, pictured with the wrong accessories, etc. If you're looking for a comprehensive guide you're probably not going to find one. Your best bet is to do the legwork yourself and scour the TF toy sites. Between the different archives floating around you'll get a pretty good history of most if not all the toys out there.

11. Tigertrack

I'll have to wait and see what next years book brings. :) 

12. Tigertrack

Okay, so after breakfast, my Dad and I were going to go to the Apple Store so he could exchange some items. Store was not yet open so we went to Barns N Noble to kill some time. I saw a thick Transformers book called Transformers The Ark, or something like that as I forgot the exact title.
    It was no where near what I wanted at all. As I looked through the Ark, it looked like it was just a book full of somebody's concept sketches with very little definition and text. From my quick glance through it, there were no color pictures, no pictures of any toys, no history, no character bios, nothing. Just pages, and pages of black/white pencil-like sketches.
    I didn't pick it up as it did nothing for me. Does anybody else have this book and what do they think of it?

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Ark isn't the sort of book you're looking for, but it's fantastic in and of itself. It's specifically a collection of the character models produced for the cartoon. It was successful enough that they produced a second volume covering the Japanese G1 cartoons as well.

14. Tigertrack

I might have been more interested in that book if it had color. Instead it was just all black/white and to me kind of boring.

15. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    For some, The Ark and The Ark II might seem boring, but speaking as a kitbasher, they both offer a huge amount of reference material. They really come in handy when looking to scratchbuild heads or parts. The Ark II offers more info, but it's still mostly concepts for the old animated series in Japan (Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, & even Zone).

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, that's because the character models were in black and white. That's like complaining a photo guide on Classical Greek statues shows the statues all in white instead of real-life human colors. ;) 

(And yes, I know that the statues once sported colors, but the colors washed away over the millennia.)

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: A History
    Hope no one minds me linking to a different site, but in terms of the fiction, this is the most comprehensive history I've ever read of it. It covers everything from G1 to the comics, G2, japanese series, BW, BM, BW2, BW Neo and even works Car Robots all into one single ultimate timeline. It's pretty cool.

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I think the OP wasn't looking for a fanon all-in-one fiction-based history.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And yet... there it is. :) 

20. Tigertrack

I was looking for the same kind of book that Star Trek fans have.
    Full history, detailed drawings, cut-out drawings, character bios, toy-spechs etc, etc.