Transformers: Heart of Darkness #1 (spoilers, yo.)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maverick Hunter Christian, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    This issue was like eating a really delicious sandwich, then shortly afterward, throwing up in your mouth a little.

It made me giddy, because story-wise, its basically one gigantic call-back to Furman-era IDW. But then it makes me sad because the art is... not pleasant to look at. Most of the characters are drawn with big heads and are obnoxiously barrel chested with really dumpy legs. Its... startling...

I'm really liking Galvatron's portrayal thus far, it seems (to me, at least) that he's not insane and he's not evil. I'm very okay with both of these things. I was a little worried during his less coherent stints during Infestation that they were gonna go down the crazy Galvatron path again. Doesn't seem to be the case ...at least not at this junction. Which is, again, a very good thing where I'm concerned.

Abbett and Lanning continue to be adept at mining the depths of the IDW G1 cannon, answering one of the smaller WTF moments in the closing pages of Infestation and appear to be tidying up a number of the loose ends post-Revelations that were never touched upon. I'm eager to see where this goes. Provided its not Unicron...

Also! Fun drinking game with this issue! Every time somebody says 'Anti-Matrix'? Drink. Every time somebody says 'Seeker' or 'Seekers'? Drink. You... might wanna contact poison control after you finish the book, though.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Is it out?

3. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, it came out today. I haven't read the issue yet, but I'm looking forward to getting it.

4. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Haven't read it yet but when does this take place? Is it at the same time as the current Ongoing series?

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    How come it's not listed in the previews for this week then? I think I don't understand how those lists are supposed to work.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I liked it. It was a nice tie-in to the Furman work. The art wasn't what I was expecting. Its a radically different style and while I like it, I'd like a bit more work on the faces. I don't mind the proportions, but the expressions need to be less cartoony for the tone of the issue. Plot wise there was a lot going on and it was a solid read, I'm glad "stuff happened" and I genuinely want to know "what's next".

7. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want to be excited about this because it's showing off Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge. But the art sucks.

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Harsh! Layouts were good. Backgrounds were good. I just found the faces off. A bet too stylized on the cartoony side of things.

9. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    loved the story but the art doesnt work for me, it is confusing because for the most part he went for a more techy detailed style but then the faces are sooo cartoony, it is such a change and it really stands out.

10. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

The art was freaking awful. Not as bad as Chee (Bumblebee mini). But still pretty horrible. I HATE Galvatron's alt mode. His cannon becomes a rocket on the back of his tank mode?! Seriously?! If his alt mode is going to be a tank, why the frick wouldn't his cannon become the tank cannon?! More of the artist randomly changing the character designs for no apparent reason.

The story is ok so far. Not completely accurate in the flashback of Galvatron finding Cyclonus and Scourge. He says "Cyclonus and Scourge were both slowly dieing", but cyclonus was actually doing just fine back in the AHM Coda. He was always the one who could stay in our universe longer than the rest of the crew. But that's a fairly minor nitpick I guess.

I don't think it's harsh at all. The art was absolutely terrible. The backgrounds were pretty decent, but that has more to do with the colorist. The coloring was good, but the line art was pretty bad.

11. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Story was great but I'm really not liking the art on this series, or Galvatron's new alt mode. I wish they could get somebody else on art if there are any issues left to draw.

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Since folk are talking about it... in one of the earlier pages, you see Galvatron with his back to the viewer looking over the horizon. I'm seeing all the treads and whatnot on his back and thinking, "Wait... is that ROTF Megatron stuck to his back?"

...then sure enough in the next page or so, that's exactly what he transforms into.

I do have one positive thing to say about the art, in that I really like Cyclonus' chain-link chin beard. Its charming.

13. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Read it tonight, wasn't impressed. The writing was okay... but wasn't the whole thing about Gorlam Prime that they were organics turned into mechanics? This issue seemed to explicitly state that it was always mechanical. Also, the micromasters... I had thought from the earlier bits set there that they were the remains of the original inhabitants but again it seemed to me that they were suggesting otherwise.

I also agree the art was... not good.

14. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree with Misatokitty, the original story was changed and the art was simply awful, the last page, wow, that was horrible. Still, I did like the story overhall. I hope they change the artist, if possible.

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked this up yesterday. I enjoyed the story, but have to agree with most that the art could have been better. The large eyes are really what turned me off to it mostly, though.

At least it explains how they picked up Jhiaxus for Infestation. I'd like to see them expand on how they are Cons now (evil robot does not automatically = Decepticon; hopefully we get a decent story for this.)

I think I'll reread Revelations to refresh my memory of some things. It'll either make the story more coherent for me or confuse the crap out of me... hopefully more of the first. :) 

16. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Weird art,,, just distracting. It's like the guy was a fan who landed a dream job but then didn't realize he had to do 22 pages in under 28 days.

For instance the treads on Galvatron's back and his vehicle mode are very detailed. But in another panel Galvatron (Cyclonus? can we even tell them apart) is looking at his Dick Tracy watch in a position that doesn't even seem physically possible.

I do like the rocket-cannon in the alt mode (like a rocket powered tank makes any sense in the first place?) Remember when Galvatron used to "fly" with his arm cannon? Come to think of it, Galvatron didn't transform much in G1 did he? At least he never showed his hand gun mode.

17. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Writing and storytelling was fine. The artwork was done by a rookie. It was HORRIBLE. It made me wish for movie art for G1 characters, and I am not a fan of that either.

Each panel looked different. NO consistency. Maybe this was rushed and thrown together or something of that sort. Very bad quality. I was really disappointed by this. The story probably would be better if the accompanying artwork wasn't drawn so horribly.

18. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i liked the story. its going some where. i was happy to see gorlam prime again. i didn't like galvatron as a good guy in infestation, but it is interesting where they are going with this. i like galvatron's alt mode and just knew every one wouldn't like it. it would be cool if it had a super tank mode. i like how the art is detailed and clean, but the proportions are bad. galvatron looks fat. that face on page one looks like its looking straight while the head it's attached to is at an angle. arcee was butt ugly.

maybe this took place before coda, and that part about cyclonus being the best outside of the dark universe was a mistake. reread all hail 14 coda and decided i didn't like it. and yeah, it contradicts hearts of darkness a lot. it is written by andy schmidt.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Horrible art, made worse because it's a new artist who is copying Magno's style. Why the hell anyone would do that is beyond me.

20. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actualy, it's Galvatron who could stay longer, Andy made a mistake in that Coda story, and apologized later for that.