Transformers Headmasters on DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I imagine that if Victory indeed comes out in this box set of all three series, it will have lots of changed names as well. I just don't see names like Blacker, Laster, Tacker and Gaihawk making it to subs because they simply don't make sense in English. And BreastForce? Please, just sub it as Breastplate Force and pre-empt the laughter.

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Metrodome subs changed it to "Zarak" for the small robot so "Scorponok" could be the big robot (instead of MegaZarak) for the recognizability factor, but in retrospect, that's probably a change I wouldn't have made. If they've referred to him as Scorponok thus far, that'll be because "Scorponok" is the name being used in the Japanese dialogue, and I'd imagine they'll carry on doing that - but that makes me wonder if they'll address the matter of a name change when he gets his Transtector, or if they'll just use "Scorponok" as his name throughout. But then if they do that, I'm surprised they felt the ned to bother with the Cerebros/Fortress change! Ugh, these two characters are seriously the only problems when it comes to name-changing in Headmasters. Do keep the updates coming! :) 

3. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Sadly yes. Which is why I'll pass it on too.

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    A few more episodes in. A few more grammar errors (periods aren't huge, I know, but it just ruins the flow of text, especially when you have to read everything to understand what's going on).

Battle Beasts no more! They are Beastformers, as they were in Japan. White Leo, Platinum Tiger, etc.

Monsterbots kept their US names (did they even have Japanese names?) ... Kup is finally mentioned by name (and is Kup). A majority of the Battle Beasts/Beastformers that have subtext underneath them as they appear (giving them names) is ignored unless they have speaking parts. Spike is finally referenced by name.

Still no names given for the Trainbots (except "Trainbots"), all G1 characters referenced thus far have kept their US G1 names. Cyclonus and Scourge are the same. Absolutely zero reference to the "Nebulan" names.

6. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

I see what you did there ...

Fans

"We want, the Japanese G1 series; that never ran in the States"

Hasbro

"Not gonna happen"

Fans

"We want them, pleeeeease"

Shout Factory

"We have secured the rights for Headmasters"

Fans

"Yes! Now we can watch one of the 3 shows that followed G1 in Japan"

-

"WTF... No dub I'm not watching this shit I refuse to watch series or films where I have to read and watch at the same time."

Shout Factory

"...."

Fans

"Ignore them they don't know what they want."

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's cool. Metrodome went with Battle Beasts and their names, as I recall, but again, in retrospect, I would have done it the other way, so that sounds good to me.

Yeah, it's a VERY rare thing that ANY of them are actually referred to with their individual names even in the Japanese dialogue. I can't think of a one.

Nor should there be, good, good!

8. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    This is why we can't have nice things! :banghead: 

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I thought about this dvd cause I love headmasters TF's but not sure how the english translation will be since their won't be any audio for english.

10. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Which is why some parts of our merry band of Cybertrons want to have their Angolmois laced cake and eat it too

11. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this shipped for me from amazon and will arrive at my door stop tomorrow.

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

At first, I was gonna be like "cue people bitching about the lack of dub", but then I was like "lol beaten to the punch".

I watched plenty of subtitled cartoons when I was eight years old. Didn't stop me.

13. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Mine has shipped too. I thought it was delayed 6-8 weeks?

14. dragon_lord

dragon_lord great dragon god

Ahm...NOPE?

I recently re-watched the whole G1 (USA and JAP) and the Headmasters had an overall better animation quality in comparison to the USA G1. But that's animation wise, the storywise is really awkward but then again, it reminds me of those silly little episodes that popped out from time to time all around the USA G1.

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

The animation on average is better than the American series. Headmasters was handled by a single studio so the quality is more consistent, whereas USTF had like four different studios cranking out episodes. Sure, some of them looked better than Headmasters, but most of them don't.

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Special note!

The bit that explains what happened to Optimus Prime and Megatron, seen in "Four Warriors From the Sky" or whatever, is removed in this version.

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Must not be delayed, I got my copy from them Friday.

18. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was only the Japanese Complete Collection which has Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory that got delayed (the one advertised on the little insert on this set.)

I haven't started watching it yet, but I will as soon as I finish rewatching G1 for the first time since I was a kid. (Only 10 episodes to go!)

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Crap, you mean this release is also missing the pre-title card sequences too?

That blows :( 

20. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    Got mine a week ago and was saddened that not only was the insane Omni Productions dub not included even as a horrific bonus feature ("DARN DAT SOUNDWAVE. YAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH-GUH!"), but in "Behold The Birth of Double Prime" they chose not to translate Galvatron's line in response to seeing Rodimus and Optimus fighting side-by-side as featured here: YouTube - ‪Transformers: Headmasters - Two Primes / Optimus' Sacrifice‬‏

Seriously. This became a personal meme between my brother and I especially when you imagine Frank Welker saying it in his Galvy voice. :D 

I don't know how I feel about the use of the US names in the subs, but understand why it was done this way. Now using TF slang, on the other hand... it's a bit silly IMO.

"Roadimus Prime"