Transformers have a lot of pieces

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Batman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been sitting here this morning admiring how many pieces go into a single Transformers figure. All the molded plastic pieces, screws, pins, electronics etc. and it is truly breath taking.

For example, look at the Universe Prowl mold. The door/side pieces have 5 pieces each (including pins) and that is just for the one part of the figure. There must be over 100 little components in that figure making it into what it is.

Looking at Animated Ultra Magnus' Hammer of Death, there are 18 visible components making up that thing, and that does not even include the springs and whatever else is inside.

Even G1 Optimus Prime, if anyone has ever changed his smoke stacks, you know how many little pieces are floating in his shoulder alone and it is amazing.

It is easy to forget sometimes how much work actually goes into making a figure. It is more than pouring plastic into one large mold with the figure coming right out. There are literally tens sometimes hundreds of little individually molded pieces pinned and fastened together with screws to make really unique pieces, that even transform, walk and even talk sometimes. Not to mention all the paint that is applied and art work designed for the packages to boot. It's amaizing to see all the little details molded into the plastic, even something as simple as a molded autobot logo, which if you sit down and try to free hand draw, is pretty hard to do.

Animated Magnus is sitting in front of me and I am just in awe of all the little details, like the wipers, light detailing, rivets etc. and the Animated line is pretty simplistic in terms of design.

Legends figures often get the shaft, but looking at some of them it is truly amazing how much work actually goes into these things. There are figures that literally have hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours spent by groups of people making them into reality. Sometimes some efforts are better than others, but even less favorable figures like G1 Wheelie, had someone spend time and effort making it into reality.

As a collector, it is easy to let a lot of this slip by you, especially when many of us buy waves consisting of four or more figures at a time, and own hundreds of them, but take a moment to truly admire your favorite figure, or even one you truly hate and admire what it took to make it happen, especially considering the constraints designers have to fit it in a budget. I am amazed that you can buy a figure like movie CC Bumblebee, Animated Swindle, and Universe Sideswipe for like $10 to $15.

Feel free to add your thoughts, or to just count and post how many pieces are in different figures you like.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Actually a really interesting topic you've brought up (this alongside the engineering thread posted the other day both have impressed me), and much like that thread...looking at Masterpiece Megatron, god I don't even know. That is a lot of work into that figure.

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I still think they should sell some TF's in kits. I'd get a kick out of building some of these.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree completely. I know tehy use machines, but just the detail and small parts used are pretty cool. I would love to see a "how it's made" TF video.

5. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah That would be so cool

6. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    I've often thought it would be cool to see TFs in "How it's Made". The ingenuity and intricacy of the toys has always blown my mind. When I pick figures to buy it's usually based on "how much thought was put into the design". You won't find many toys with that much design into each figure for the price.

7. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just looking at G1 Powerglide and I would say he has about 25 or 26 different components. I tried Animated voyager Bulkhead but I lost track at 70. Actually thinking about this, I am actually surprised that only once have I gotten a figure that was missing a piece and that was Alternators Tracks (who was missing the chest piece with his Autobot logo on it). I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often actually.

8. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Ultra Detailing

A good example of what you are talking about is the Transmetals Rampage and Depthcharge figures,not so much as in parts count but all the countless small details all over the figures themselves.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I agree with you fullheartedly, BustaJesse!

I always get annoyed when people just say 'this toy is terrible, this toy is horrible, shouldn't be sold' etc. They forget just how much work goes into creating a Transformer. Having a convincing vehicle form, being able to somehow change it into a convincing robot, safety procedures, material restrictions, budget restrictions...all these things come into play when making a TF.

Yes, there are TFs out there that aren't exactly great, but I think even an Universe Galvatron deserves some respect! :lol 

10. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd actually love to see that myself. Has anyone ever actually asked about it or tried to contact the show? I just did some poking around and here is the contact page:

How It's Made

Perhaps if enough people send in a request to the program, it may be something they may consider doing in the future, even just something like a Gijoe would be cool. Think about it, and be sure to post if you hear anything back :) 

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Thank you for someone finally realizing this. I am so sick and tired of people bitching about "quality control" and supposed "mold degradation" because they got one loose elbow on their toy. It's like people don't think about the fact that these toys are put together by machines on an assembly line out of hundred of pieces being snapped, pegged, and glued together. And are machines infallible? Of course not. They don't care.

I know what I'm talking about (complaining about people's complaining) is hardly the point of your post, Jesse, but it does take appreciation in something I've been trying to stress for some time. These toys are intricate, precise, but ultimately produced in a run of tens of thousands. So coming out of your (collective "your," not talking specifically to you Jesse) store of choice with a toy with a loose joint is really just a matter of chance. Not every toy is completely perfect, in fact, I'd say no toy is completely perfect. Simply because of how they're made.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I really don't think that transformers are put together by machines, Kusanagi. They would have to re-organize the factory, and refit machines for every single figure in a line. it's economically insane to do that.

I'm very sure these things are put together by people. especially with how many reports there are of fingerprints being found in the plastic of a TF.

13. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    sweat shops

14. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ive taken apart my G1 Sixshot recently youd be suprised that hes not intricate at all his chest is basically a shell same with the arms and the legs it really suprised me cause I figured he would be a bitch to take apart but hes not specially considering he's a Sixchanger

G1 Soundwave is pretty simple too but im talkin about G1 figures where everyone else is talking about newer stuff im just to chicken shit to take apart a newer figure cause I know theres bound to be springs and other stuff in those pieces all which can be easily lost

15. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Oh yeah, I've taken apart a TF or two... I think my first was Cybertron Hot Shot, cause mine had the same issue a lot of people had with his "wings" not popping out with the key inserted.

In order to take apart the backpack, I had to take it off... which meant taking apart the torso. Well, his torso was fairly simply assembled... but the backpack was pretty complex, considering just number of parts (though I was very impressed with the cyber key device itself!). I had a lot of fun doing it (all it was to fix it was repositioning the notch on a little O ring), and I learned a bit about what goes into this stuff.

That's kind of a big part. Ever take apart a ratcheting joint? Holy crap, that's a lot of parts just for a knee (for example)!! :lol 

Most recent I took apart was Universe Ironhide to mod him so he's not always looking down. Well, not as far down anyway! :lol  Now that's a complex toy... wow.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Every time I put Reprolabels on a Transformer, I completely disassemble it and clean every piece. That list includes (all G1) Bruticus, Menasor, Defensor, Superion, Jetfire, Megatron, Victory Leo, Scorponok, Trypticon, and quite a few others. Some G1 toys are horrifically complex; Victory Leo & Jetfire spring instantly to mind. Seriously, they're masterpieces of intricacy.

17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

its too bad mcdonalds are limited to like 5 pieces, and 2 kinds of paint :lol 

18. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    how bout Universe Ratchet/Ironhide?

19. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    One of the reasons why it's hard for me to have a purely negative opinion of a transformer.

While I'm sure the conditions are not exactly healthy (just being in a Chinese industrial area probably isn't that healthy). I'd be surprised if they were as bad as a sweat shop.

20. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    very interesting thread, i never really thought about it that way.. coming to think of it, they are complex, some of them incredibly so.