Transformers: Hard Wired. Read it?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by enkidoamark, Apr 11, 2010.

1. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I was given a box of Sci Fi books by a someone just getting rid of them. Its a bunch of Star Trek and Star Wars. I realized later I'd never actually read them (still trying to watch HM, MF and Victory- no time for startrek). I was moving them the other day, looked down and saw a Transformers book, Hardwired. In the time since I have been given these books, I've heard of this TF trilogy, now I find out I had one the whole time. I had considered ordering all three from Amazon.

Anyway, I know this book and the trilogy as a whole has gotten some bad press, but has anyone here actually read them? Thoughts?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hardwired is pretty terrible. It tries too hard to be mature and dark, and fails.

The other two are better, but as a whole the series is not the best fiction to ever come out of Transformers.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I liked Hardwired myself, I still got my copy from way back when somewhere buried in my bookcase. Although since I hadn't really grown up with G1 (it was before I was born), I do remember not having a clue who the hell Bluestreak was the whole time!:lol 

That aside, I thought the book was pretty good. I can see how people would be angered even by reading the first few chapters (because some tried and true favorites are offed pretty quick on both sides if I remember correctly, it's been a long time) and what Prime does later on being not exactly how most people would think of him making those decisions. The humans are also interesting, and they're not exactly how one would think they would be portrayed in those circumstances. It's an interesting take on G1, so I'd say it's worth a read.

And on another note, I'd been meaning to find the rest of the series, but I only ever found Book 1. Maybe it's time I resumed that quest...

4. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Hardwired is like Zack Snyder's Transformers or something. Every five pages there's a human getting gorily smashed or trampled or crushed under debris or Decepticon parts or something. It's got a pretty odd story to boot.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Never heard of a TF trilogy book series before. Looks like I might have to see about finding the books and read it, no matter how bad everyone is saying it is.

6. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    It's not a bad story, parts could be better but you could say that most books. I have all 3 books plus found the hardback that has all 3 combined for a good price...I'll sell the 3 seperate books if someone is intersted in them.

7. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Its commonly referred to as the Keepers Trilogy.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I read the series and I thought it was kinda rubbish. Having a new alien race get involved was a terrible idea. And a terrible idea badly written.

9. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

It's ok but mainly cuz my obsession with Transformers, if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't care for it (well I most likely wouldn't have bought and read it but thats beside the point).

The books following it is a little better though. I actually like the idea of another faction of powerfull beings being involved in the story.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read it. It's a horrendous story that makes Dreamwave's output look poetic.

Really, it takes the "look at us!! We're kewl! We're writing an in-your-face "mature" Transformers story where humans die!! Yay us!!!" to a whole new level.

There is nothing redeemable about this train wreck.

11. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

~considers it~ How much female content is in the books?

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's been a long time since I read them, but I remember them being just awful. The plot was stupid, the characterization was odd in a number of spots, the writing in general was bad and, IIRC, they weren't edited very well either (especially the first).

The fourth TF novel (Legends) that came out around the same time was an anthology book that actually had some decent stories. I'd suggest seeking it out, rather than bothering with the Keeper trilogy.

13. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    LOL...seriously....none

I only recommend this triology to people with an open mind and that doesnt' mind some iffy writing. As mentioned the Legends books is better espically the story about the 6th Dinobot, also the story about Bumblebee and Starscream is pretty good as well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I didn't even get halfway through the first book before giving up on it. The gratuitous violence was too heavy-handed and the author seemed more interested in describing inane details than he was actually telling a story that wasn't interesting in the first place.

15. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

This is what I hated the most, he couldn't just tell you a jet was firing misses, he had to tell you all about the missile's origins, capabilities, where it was manufactured and such just on and on like that about random things that had no bearing on the story. I do feel the two later books to be better, but on the whole, it really didn't feel right. Another thing I hated was the author trying to shock the leader with who was a transformer-like Megatron wouldn't recognize his own troops in vehicle mode. I would have to agree the Legends book was way better.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I attempted to read Hardwired once, but the incredibly boring parts and the ridiculously gruesome nature of the book caused me to only get about half of the way through. So yeah, It's a pretty terrible book.

17. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i never of this series does anybody know where i can find it? amazon maybe

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Amazon and Ebay, yeah. If you want the first book I'll sell it to ya cheap. XD

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hardwired was pitiful. There's piles of fanfiction out there that are far better than that schlock.

20. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hardwired has a great scene in which Starscream meets a priest, but that's about all its got going for it.