Transformers Graphic Novel Collection in the UK

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rodster6, Sep 10, 2016.

1. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There is a collection of Transformer hard back books being released in the UK collecting stories from the Marvel UK and US runs, Dreamwave and IDW series. Only seems to be out in a few areas at the moment though. 14322495_10153963604733546_3352536292936873430_n.jpg

Transformers The Definitive G1 Collection

• Like Like x 1
  2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Ooh! Very nice! I hope they come to Australia too!

3. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's the size of these? It'd be cool if they were bigger than US comics.

4. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As much as I liked War Within back in the day, and have been on and off enjoying the current comics, a definitive G1 collection should not really be including any Dreamwave or IDW, neither of whom were publishing or even in existence during G1.

It's kind of moot to me, since I don't live in the UK, but for UK fan's sake, I hope the books are large enough that the Marvel UK material can be printed at the size it was meant to be read, not shrunk down like IDW's reprints.

6. Noxex

Noxex Well-Known Member

I think its G1 in the sense that these are the G1 characters. IDW is generally considered G1, for example.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If that was enough to make something G1, pretty much all of Transformers other than the Beast shows would be G1, making the classification meaningless. Hell, even G2 would be G1 if that was the case.

8. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Whilst a lot of this stuff is available elsewhere, the main selling point of these for me will be the background information (whilst the Classics UK reprints have done us proud, I'd love to hear behind-the scenes information on the American stuff), and it also looks as though some of the UK black-and-white stories are going to be colourised.

For those that don't know, UK partworks generally get a 'test' release of the first four issues in a small part of the country (usually centering on a medium-sized city like Doncaster or Swansea). Based on sales in the test regions (and the number of people who sign up on the website), the publisher then decides whether it merits being rolled out nationally.

Not sure if Transformers will be a big enough seller to appeal to the general public, but then again we did get "The Zippo Lighter Collection" and "Build the Flagship of King Louis XIV", which goes to show that a lot of random crap does make it past the test run...

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's weird, we get the Zippo Collection here in Japan, too. Different publisher, but I wonder if it's some kind of co-production or something.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have any concern that the TF Collection will be popular enough to launch nationwide. I'm more worried that Eaglemoss' Star Trek Graphic Novel Collection won't.

In any case, I'm over the moon about this. Don't think the test sales are in my area (unusual, as we normally get all of these things during the pilot phase) but will definitely pick this up when it launches nationwide.

I don't see any problem with the "G1" definition of the material either. The IDW-verse is clearly more 'G1' (certainly when it began) than say Armada or the Movie-verse.

As was said in the News thread about this though, these partworks often grow 'beyond' the originally planned number of issues (in this case 60; the Classic Marvel Figurine Collection was planned for sixty, and eventually well ran over 150). If that happens here, I suspect the extra issues will branch out to Movie-verse, Heart of Steel, Beast Wars...

We may end up with truly the 'definitive' collection of Transformers graphic novels!

11. kgorman79

kgorman79 Trapped In Polyhex

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Had to go ahead and subscribe to this. The colourised B&W reprints are worth it alone even without the 332 UK issues being presented in order for the first time.

12. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I think this is great for those who've had trouble getting reprints. The only thing I'd really want out of this (and I can't tell if they're doing it or not) is the correct threading together of Marvel US and UK to make one united whole; I don't see the need to throw in IDW and Dreamwave, but YMMV.

I'm not too sad about it; I already own the full Marvel US run, about 50 or so issues of Marvel UK, all the Titan reprints and the IDW Marvel UK volumes, so there's nothing here that makes me need to find a way to import.

13. Noxex

Noxex Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter to me, just saying that IDW is generally considered G1. Most likely because Chris Mcfeely does, and thus tfwiki. And considering all the work he's done for the community, I defer to his judgement.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yeah, you would be correct. The Optimus Prime in G2 and Beast Wars is the same Optimus Prime as in the 1980s. Whereas the Optimus Prime from Armada, the movies and Aligned is completely unrelated. IDW Optimus Prime is the character from the 80s written by a different company.

As everyone here already knows.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  15. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'm pretty sure every single regular wiki contributor considers IDW to be G1 because, like, of course it is. It still genuinely confuses me that there are people who don't! Infiltration was undeniably G1 through-and-through, and the fact that since then there's been a handful of guys from other franchises introduced doesn't change the fact that >90% of the characters are still drawn from the G1/G2 toylines.

Very occasionally we get a new member turning up and being all "whaa IDW isn't G1 guys", and then everyone who actually contributes to the wiki says "lol sure" and continues to go about their business.

16. Reask

Reask Predacon

Is issue 1 available now and if so for how long? It doesn't really say on the site and I can't subscribed until I sorted out a different bank card so just wanted to know how long.

17. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, even though this collection is called "G1" I think it'd be pretty sweet if the G2 series were included.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because apparently the people contributing to the wiki don't understand what "Generation" means. Yeah, let's just throw definitions out the window and let every word mean whatever any individual wants it to mean at any given moment, so that nothing means anything and we have complete chaos. Language is the greatest achievement of humankind? Phooey!

Once Generation 2 began, Generation 1 ended. That's it. That's how generations work. It genuinely confuses me that something so simple can escape so many.

I agree. The G2 comic is much more "G1" than Dreamwave or IDW. After all, 100% of the characters were drawn from the G1/G2 toylines.

19. Meddysong

Meddysong Member

Twitter:
    I've subscribed because I find it an irresistible offer ... but I've also taken out a second subscription. When I was a boy my grandparents used to buy me the comic and give it to me every Tuesday. I'd pore over it, re-reading it a million times, and I cherish those childhood memories. I distinctly recall Target: 2006 as hooking me and that's what this collection is starting with, so I'm passing on what my grandparents did for me thirty years later. My nephew (he's 9, so around the same age I was) is going to love what the postman brings him :) 

20. Noxex

Noxex Well-Known Member

As someone who doesn't care at all about the toys, breaking TF fiction out by continuity families like the wiki does makes sense. g2 is part of G1 but Beast Wars isn't because of the characters. IDW is clearly the G1 characters in a different story. Kind of like the 86 film and the Marvel comics have the same characters but are a different story. Just trying to explain that its not as crazy as it might seem at first.

• Like Like x 1