Transformers/GI Joe- Volume 1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DDM, Jun 1, 2006.

1. DDM

DDM Super Steve

I recently found this graphic novel at a local comic shop and whoa, I'm amazed.

I really like the more serious story line it took compared to what I have seen on the shows.

Also, at the back it shows each transformers robot and alternate mode from during the WWII era the story took place in, and I thought the were very awesome.

Have there ever been any plans of making any of those models into toys? or are the sketches going to stay on the pages of the comic?

And finally, what current series of transformer comics do you guys think I should check out? I'm going to continue the GI Joe/Transformers ones for sure, and the beast wars look interesting. But Generations seems rather childish to me. But I can be persueded :wink:  .

Anyway, has anyone else read the transformers/GI joe series?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

TF/Joe Vol. 1 wasn't very well received by the fandom when it came out. A lot of people didn't like the stylized art. I thought it was pretty nice for a change of pace though. I think it holds up pretty well over time too, and translates better as a graphic novel than it did as single issues.

You might be interested to know that there were actually two different companies producing TF/Joe comics in recent years, because one company had the rights to Transformers and another had the rights to GI Joe. Devil's Due Productions is currently releasing their third miniseries called GI Joe and the Transformers (with Joe first and Transformers second in the title), issue 3 came out this week. Dreamwave had the Transformers licence and released the Transformers and GI Joe (with TF first and Joe second in the title) miniseries you have. They released one issue of a volume 2 before the company folded. The current TF licence holder, IDW, hasn't mentioned anything about doing a Joe crossover, but I think it's a safe bet it will happen eventually.

Of the current comics out, here's your choices.

Infiltration: This is a G1 reboot. The characters have been redesigned and it has new human characters. It's the first miniseries from IDW, but you're coming in right at the end of it (issue 5 of 6 came out this week), so you'll have to either track down back issues or wait for the TPB. Opinions are mixed on it. Some people don't like the redesigns and think there's too much focus on human characters.

Beast Wars: This series just wrapped up a few weeks ago, so you'll have to do back issues or wait for trades. It's excellent though, and almost universally acclaimed by most fans. Rather than muck around much with the show's continuity, it instead thrusts non-show characters onto Earth at the same time the Beast Wars were going on (I won't spoil for you how they do it without being seen by the show characters, but it's very clever). There are cameos by the show characters, but otherwise this is a new cast.

Evolutions/Hearts of Steel: Evolutions is a new series IDW is starting up using popular writers and artists to do Transformers "What If?" type books. Hearts of Steel is the first and places Transformers in the industrial age, as steam locomotives and the like. It starts next month.

Stormbringer: The next arc in the G1 reboot, starts in July, returns to check in on what's going down on Cybertron. No humans.

Generations: These are budget priced (well, were...they raised the price with the last issue) reprints of Marvel's Transformers comics from the 80's with new cover art. I'm a sucker for Marvel G1, but even I'm not buying these. They're all readily available in TPB form, and they're being reprinted out of order so you can't really follow the story (so far, they've released issues 7, 13, and 14, with 16 coming next month).

Also, fyi, this post really belongs in the comics forum.

3. DDM

DDM Super Steve

I didn't realize that so many comics were ending their series right as I got into them :banghead: 

Also, I didn't see the comics forum, so my apologies for that.

4. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Hi guys! Listen, I found a couple of Marvel's TF Vs Gi Joe comics and I have to ask: are those good? The art it's...well, it's not bad but it's not my favorite style.
    Should I get them? Should I save my money for something else?
    In the first place: what's the plot of these comic?

5. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I really dug it too, Jae Lee's been one of my favorite artists since back on X-factor in the early 90s
    in Wave1 of the upcoming Titanium 6" line they are making a tank Megatron who's bio is pretyt much taken straight from that story, although the desing is new ~ i believe it's been said it's a stylized version of a German Mauser Tank, someone'll lety ya know if i got that wrong, i'm sure.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Save your money unless you find the collected TPB for really cheap. I didn't think the artwork was that good either and the plot is all over the place. It's been almost a decade since I read them, but I seem to remember liking the series. Of course, I was a diehard TF fan at the time and I wasn't anything as choosy or critical as I am today. I think I mainly liked the series because Shockwave was a central character, and he was my favorite.

As for the plot and stuff, check TFArchive:
    http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/index.php?s=gi_joe_tf

In spite of its flaws, I don't regret buying them. And they do have a certain sentimental appeal for "oldtimer" TF fans like me.