Transformers Generations Ultimate Giftset review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Valkysas, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Marketed (so far) as an online exclusive, this "Ultimate Giftset" puts deluxes Jazz and Optimus Prime against legends Thundercracker and Motorbreath/Motormaster. Yeah, that sounds pretty fair.

I won't go into too much detail on the figures themselves, as they're all redecos.

First off, the Legends class guys.

[​IMG]
    Motorbreath and Thundercracker have been retooled to include a sword, and two null rays. The sword is nice, but the null rays are redundant, since there's already two designed into the transformation of the legends seeker mold. Although if you're a fan of crazy, overkill levels of weaponry, you'll probably like it. Both of mine have really finicky leg joints. Motorbreath doesn't like to stand straight, and Thundercracker just doesn't like to stand at all. His legs don't straighten all the way. At least their colors are nice. One thing I really like about Motorbreath compared to the Optimus Prime version of this mold is that the front, and both sides of each leg have been painted. Only the back of each leg is left unpainted. Even the bottoms of his leg pieces are painted, although the bottoms of the feet are left black. This is much better than the almost entirely black legs of Optimus Prime.

[​IMG]
    Vehicle mode. Again, colors are nice. Each has holes molded into them for weapon storage. Looks great on Thundercracker, looks strange on Motorbreath. Maybe turn the sword around and have him ram enemies?

Okay, time for the meat of this set, the two G2-themed deluxes.

[​IMG]

Combat Hero Optimus Prime is based on an unreleased repaint of the G2 Hero Optimus Prime, called... Combat Hero Optimus Prime. While he didn't use the Laser Optimus Prime mold in G2, the colors really work on this design. He's easily my preferred version of this mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One especially nice thing about the mold choice is that in vehicle mode, it matches the cab of the original Combat Hero Optimus Prime's vehicle mode very well. While the windshield paint details look a little odd here, it's not that big of a deal to me.

On mine, no matter what I do, I can't get the front of the truck to line up correctly against the bottom of the windshield. There's no mold flash in the way, nothing is transformed wrong, it just won't fit.

[​IMG]

Next up is Jazz. While Jazz is based on his G2 deco, he's not a slavish recreation of it. He's more of a modern reinterpretation of it, like we saw with the original Classics line. He's got the musical theme with the notes and scales, he has the "1" instead of the "4", and he has the off-center Autobot symbol. This version of Jazz is extremely well painted compared to the RTS version (the United version is the one displayed with him, as it's the only one I own). The front grill is painted, the area around the lights is painted, and the wheels are painted as well. The only thing I wish was painted that isn't are the parts below his knees, which are black on the RTS and United versions of Jazz. Blue plastic has also been added, and while I originally thought it would look out of place, I ended up liking the way it breaks him up quite a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In vehicle mode, we can see some more G2-style details on him. He has the blue spoiler with his name on it, and where the original G2 Jazz had blue stripes above his rear wheels with his name on them, here they've been extended to a blue line that goes across the bottom of the entire vehicle. The name detail has been carried over and moved to the rear, but only on the vehicle's left side. Another nice touch is that the tail lights have been painted on this version, unlike the RTS toy. Unfortunately, the rear window was not. I think the abundance of paint apps everywhere else makes up for it, and it might have been left out just to avoid going overboard with blue on the toy.

While I love my United Jazz, I honestly can't decide which version I like more.

Now, because everything in this box has to be screwed up in some way for me (these probably aren't widespread issues), Jazz has a messed up right window.

[​IMG]

The center piece of the right window is the center piece that goes in the left window. The left window is fine, I just ended up with two of the same piece. The doors shut if I force them, but doing that will probably lead to some type of breakage later on. So while the shades of blue are a little different, I'm going to get an RTS Jazz later on and swap the windows on both doors. I would return it, but the paint apps on my set are so damn perfect that I don't want to risk getting a replacement set that's of lower quality.

Overall, I'm very happy with this set despite the QC issues I experienced. While the legends toys are nice, the deluxes are the stars here, especially if you're a G2 fan. Both figures look mavelous in these colors, and while they're molds most people probably already own, they are definitely worth getting again.

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man that Jazz's number of paint apps are making me want this set sooner than later. D:

3. IdleLurker

IdleLurker Active Member

This set looks fantastic... I just wish it would show up on some Canadian retailer, so I could pay slightly less ridiculous shipping to get it.

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Jazz is the only reason I ever wanted this set, and it's great to see some clear pics of him that confirm I was right about wanting him. I could have done without the smaller name on the rear bumper, but it's far from a dealbreaker.

I never bought the G2 Prime mold and nothing about it makes me eager to change that, but it's neat that an obscure G2 homage was reused here. Had Hasbro gone with the Hero Optimus Prime, the G2 color scheme and mold that we DID get in the US, this set would probably have seemed too white or something, I don't know. Anyone out there have a digibash of how that would turn out?

Nobody's buying these for the Legends when there's the TRU release now, and I would've preferred if they had been swapped with a third Deluxe or a Scout instead, but no matter!

I had to cancel my preorder because BBTS fulfilled it at a very bad time financially, but once I'm back on my feet I should at least hunt down the Jazz if not the set.

5. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Jazz makes Allspark-blue and orange look good. I'm half-tempted to get this set just for him.

6. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why u make me buy gift set for one good figure hasbro!

7. Young Optimus14

Young Optimus14 MTMTE Theorist

Same here. So many apps! Why couldn't RTS Jazz have that many? Also liking the Optimus probably for his blue coloring

8. gokuz23

gokuz23 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's with all the G2 this year lol am i right

9. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Jazz is making me reconsider skipping this.

10. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nice review and thanks for doing one....

Not a bad set for 30$....can't wait till i get it...might get another set...

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Nice review. I got mine for the Prime, Jazz, and Motormaster. The Thundercracker was the forced purchase for me, so I'm a bit more upbeat about the sets price.

Like you, I've got that one QC issue. No matter what I do, I can't get G2 Primes backpack/jetpack/mudflap part down flush in vehicle mode. Or even in robot mode for that matter, it just won't go down 90 degrees to sit flat. It goes about 78 degrees and that's it. It doesn't appear to be mold flashing or the like in the way, it just physically doesn't want to go down any further. I can even just push it down further, but it wants to be at that 78 degree angle and goes to it as soon as I let it go.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Might be an issue with the pin going through that piece.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Prime and Jazz look terrible. The only figure of interest here is Thundercracker.

14. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish they used the G2 Hero Optimus Prime color scheme than some weird unreleased colors. Does Jazz use the RTS mold or the revised United one? I hated how Wheelie used the first version instead of the latter.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I didn't think the mold was ever revised. Is it about the upper body? My United Jazz's upper body holds tightly, but I've heard others say theirs are loose. This one doesn't hold tightly.

16. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

The prime in here kind of looks like sg Magnus. A lot cheaper as well

17. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice pics could you show Optimus in battle tanker armor?

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Don't have battle tanker, or I would have.

19. jrxcombinetrain

jrxcombinetrain Just like combiners

News Credits:
    Generations Ultimate gift set

It comes suddenly.:drool: 
    [​IMG]
    But loss paint.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jazz, I love this paint!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vehicle mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combat Hero Optimus Prime. I can't believe he is heroic though...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Where are other stunticons?
    [​IMG]

Truck mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motorbreath & Thundercracker, they looks the same as individual releases..
    [​IMG]

20. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man I can't wait to get the Battle Tanker armor onto that Prime.