Transformers: Generations and Timelines

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Omega Supreme-1, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well Generations 1 is out now, and I can't say i'm too partial on the quality of the comics. They use the same glossy paper as all their other titles, except it seems that some of the panels didn't exactly get preserved with the most dignity.

In the most recent Previews, the cover for Timelines was showed. Also some more images of the Timelines cast, that we have seen before are present.

2. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Timelines? I'm confused. But yes, I am a bit disapointed with Generations. I wish that they did it as whole arcs instead of random issues. I really want to see how Ratchet gets out of that mess.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The randomness of the issues is exactly why I'll pass on this series and also why I just bought the 1st three Trade paperbacks on Amazon.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yep if they were not random they would sell better, I don't see this line continuing long unless they fix that.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I kinda like the random issue set up. They can't do all the complete arcs because of Spider-Man and Death's Head, I believe. And with this set up we might get some of the cooler or off beat issues like issue 13. And maybe we'll see some G2 stuff. I'm liking it the way it is, but I wouldn't mind some complete arcs from the later issues in the Marvel G1.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was hoping theyd recolor them :( 

with respects to nel yomtov of course.

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

uhm... Does anyone knows when the next "inflitration" is due to come out ?

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Sometime in April?

9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I enjoyed the first Generations issue. I started collecting the Marvel run with issue 47 (Assault of the Savage Seacons!) or whatever issue it was that the Seacons appeared in first. I've found a few earlier issues, but much of the first half of the Marvel run is one that I've never read.

- I suppose we have a Ratchet story because Ratchet is featured so heavily in "Infiltration". Fair enough, and it's interesting to see him taking on Megatron in combat.

- I was surprised to see the old dot-screen coloring. The techical term escapes me, but it's the same coloring process used on the old newsprint. It's nice to see the comic printed on the modern glossy paper... sometimes I wonder how we put up with newsprint. Then again, it was cheaper.

- I can't believe Megatron would let Shockwave boss him around... sorry, ain't buying it.

- We get some early 'Transformer law/custom' attempts with the mixing of fuels scene. It reminds me of the G1 season one episode where Prime and Megatron fight 'according to the laws of Cybertron'. Anyone who thinks Megatron will keep his side of the deal is just silly. :) 

- $2.00 for a new cover and an old issue is fine with me.

10. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

That's because in issue #6 of the original Marvel run Shockwave kicked the crap out of Megs because Megs did not allow himself to fully recover from the poisoned fuel that Sparkplug gave the Decepticons in issue #4.

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Megatron in the comics was very different from Megatron in any other media. He's almost a background character in a lot of ways. I'd estimate he's in fewer than a quarter of the issues of the entire run (and he's not even the leader in a lot of those) which is pretty crazy when you consider the US comic never bothered to deal with the movie characters (hence he was never replaced by Galvatron).

Plus as OldSchool80sKid pointed out, he had the crap kicked out of him by Shockwave in the previous issue when he hadn't even fully recovered from the poisoned fuel he injested a few issues earlier.

12. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the comics Shockwave repeatedly owned Megatron.

Megatron was ever carried around as a gun by a crazy guy with an Afrom named:

ROBOT MASTER!

Later he was melted into Ratchet and went crazy.

13. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Thanks for the clarification on the Shockwave/Megatron story. The only early issues I have are 1, 2 and 5 (with the great Shockwave cover), hence I don't know a lot about the early storyline. I remember in issue 5 that Shockwave had Megatron strung up and imprisoned. But old Megs was still vowing to crush Shockwave at that point.

I remember that. I thought it was too bad the series ended when it did, because a Galvatron/Megatron team up had potential.

14. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

The UK run had Galvatron travel back to Megatron's timeline. He buried Megatron under a rubble of rock, but would not kill him because he knew that would kill him since Megatron would become him. I believe that is what the Ehobby reissue version of Galvatron is based on.
    :thumbs2: 

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Megatron's underutilization and repeated ass-kicking by Shockwave, as well as the fact that his transition to Galvatron was only touched on in the comic sure did make that scene in #78 where Megatron and Galvatron briefly team up to kick Shockwave's ass satisfying. I didn't read that issue until high school and I still thought, "Hell yeah! Take that Shockwave!"

On a semi on-topic note, I reallyreallyreally like the art in G1 #7 (and #8). Some of, if not the best, in the Marvel run pre-Senior/Wildman. Don't have the issue handy so I dunno who it was, but I don't think he was used again whoever it was. Shame.

16. Groundsplitter

Groundsplitter Decepticon

William Johnson, with inks by Kyle Baker. And no, those were the only issues Johnson drew.

17. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Not something I think I'd ever accord to Yomtov, really...

I'd like to see otherwise unavailable stuff under the Generations title... "Crisis of Command", "Ghosts", "State Games", "And There Shall Come a Leader...", "Peace". In particular, the last three would make a neat single-comic package.

If anyone feels like giving some direct feedback:
    http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?sact=ST;f=21;t=1169