Transformers Generation One Story Project Question....

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by FortressMaximus1976, Oct 30, 2007.

1. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey my fellow TFW2005 Members

I had an idea earlier this week that I'm seriously considering tackling: writing a Generation One based story outline...not simply for the posting of "fan fiction" like others have done on this and other websites, but rather more of a novel-esque approach...with hopes of someone actually willing to publish or utilize the story. In other words, I'm thinking broader. I figure you only go around once, and I'm willing to give anything a shot.

I'm currently outlining some story ideas, and which Transformers I'd be using within this story. The only thing I can say about it at this point is I'm limiting the amount of characters within the story, around 12-15 total with the idea of giving me the opportunity to really develop each robot to a much larger degree. Technically there will be more, but I'm planning on using a few of the combiners, so depending on how you want to look it, they can be considered one character or one large group. Again, this wouldn't be a comic book, but more a long-form story. I haven't decided whether it will be a sequel based series or not, depending on how on the writing process/story goes, as well as whatever interest I can generate from it.

I was an English/Journalism major in college, so I decided that although I'm not actually doing that field for a living..(who really works in the field they majored in anymore, right? lol)...this might be a way to break into the field, to some degree..God willing.

My question is, considering that Transformers is a licensed and copyrighted property, how would I go about getting my STORY copyright protected before I would submit to possible publications that deal with Transformers animation, and writing, who would then hire artists to do the rendering of pictures to go along with the story and/or artwork. I wouldn't want my hard work to be stolen by someone else to then be published under some other writers name who basically stole my story ideas.

Does anyone know how to go about getting a story copyrighted, while at the same time, using copyrighted/licensed characters? Seems to be a very gray area to me, as opposed to writing a story with completely original characters. Any takers on what my best approach would be ?
    Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

while spirited and not without merit,the only way this would ever succeed is at hasbro's decision...possible,but not likely.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was kind of thinking about doing a G1-based TF story myself, but I can assure you what I'm going to do is going to be different from what you're most likely going to do.

I don't know about getting your story copyrighted, especially with you using characters that are already licensed. You might want to try and contact Hasbro, tell them about your project and see what they might say. That's all I can say to you. Good luck.

4. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just an update...

Thanks for the responses so far...I'm not sure what my end result or motivation is going to be to getting it "out there", but its going to take some time..I'm estimating anywhere between 150-200 pages total..so, it may take a year or more to finish. In the meantime, I will share with you the characters I've selected for the story..there are a few obvious ones, and a few that are simply my personal favorites whom I feel didn't get enough time in the cartoon and comic books.

TRANSFORMERS GENERATION ONE WRITING PROJECT CHARACTER LIST

AUTOBOTS:

Optimus Prime
    Jazz
    Wheejack
    Ironhide
    Mirage
    Fortress Maximus
    Computron (Afterburner, Strafe, Lightspeed, Nosecone, Scattershot)

DECEPTICONS:

Megatron
    Starscream
    Soundwave
    Rumble
    Laserbeak
    Sixshot
    Scorponok
    Seacons (Snap Trap, Skalor, Nautilator, Seawing, Tentakil, Overbite)

5. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

A small reply - I would love to see a Gen 1 story continuing the adventures of the original characters, so long as it captures the spirit of the characters, so I can see Prime saying those words. Go for it!