Transformers G1 Smokescreen KO Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by scratchdesk, Jan 31, 2013.

1. scratchdesk

scratchdesk Well-Known Member

Hi all, wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move as necessary.

I recently purchased a G1 KO Smokescreen off ebay after not paying close enough attention to the fine details. I typically check to see if KOs exist for certain figures and I didn't see a guide or really any mention of a Smokescreen KO figure on the market so I thought I should make a detailed thread.

Starting with the front of the box we notice that the "Transformers" Logo is missing from the KO version and the fat "R". Fonts are also off all over the place and other minor issues but I thought I should identify the more serious issues:
    [​IMG]

Secondly, we take a look at the different fonts used from the original and the grid lines get muted behind the sunburst in the KO version.
    [​IMG]

Top of the box we see the very white grid with thicker lines.
    [​IMG]

And for the bottom more of the same.
    [​IMG]

KO Smokescreen in vehicle mode is pretty easy to spot the knock off version. See the screws showing on
    the hood, missing the "38" on the hood and we can see grooves and holds on the top of the roof.
    [​IMG]

Next we see no spoiler on the rear hatch and a better look at the grooves and the holes on the roof.
    [​IMG]

On the rear we see smaller bumps on the hatch, no spoiler again and thicker lines on the pinstripes.
    [​IMG]

Undersides you see paint variations and the Copyright info appears to be the same on both.
    [​IMG]

Front shot we see a different color behind his head and black screws mounting the arms on the KO.
    [​IMG]

And lastly a butt shot. The KO Smokescreen liked to fall backwards. Joints are rather loose for his arms and feet/legs.
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps a few people out there, please let me know if I made any serious errors!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Nice details when comparing the two. Unforutnatelty these kos are hitting ebay again and I see plenty of bids on them from people who are getting duped.

3. scratchdesk

Yeah, didn't cost me much really. Think I payed $32 shipped for him. But still kind of frustrating when the seller claims they've had it since the 80's, hah

4. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

You do know you have to slide the feet apart and they lock in place irregardless of looseness. I would assume the KO would be the same.

Stands well
    [​IMG]

Doesn't stand for... yeah
    [​IMG]

Chris

The feet key into the legs like this...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. scratchdesk

Hah. Thanks boss. One of those little things I never noticed. Not sure how I missed that one!

6. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

Not a problem! Hope that helped a little :D 

Chris

7. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I think all the G1 cars were koed all with alot of the season 3 characters as well.

8. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    The price alone should have told you it was fake. A MIB Smokescreen would never fetch a price that low :inquisiti 

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is. Sucks you got shafted though. If I buy G1 I only go through a reputable source or the Junkion Exchange.

Also have a good thread for KO comparisons http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ell-new-ko-reissues-apart-authentic-toys.html

9. doomgaze_86

doomgaze_86 Well-Known Member

Heh, I find it kinda funny that the KO has so many similarities (t-bar roof, missing spoiler) to this odd variant mentioned in Maz's post about Smokescreen.

Article mexsmoke

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the toy out of the package in the first post here. I think those collectors looking for that rare variant will certainly be further helped by this thread, as well as what they're aware of already.

scratchd, thanks so much for sharing here :thumb 

11. scratchdesk

The other one I have (seen in the photos) was near mint in box and was in pretty nice shape which I purchased for $36. Sadly the seller shipped it in a long flat rate box and it got crushed in shipment result being the box you see in the photos. Thus why I was looking for another nice box. Also I purchased one new in box G1 for $50... So price doesn't determine authenticity.

I have browsed the post you linked and didn't see mention of this one, that's why I made this post and titled it well so others who search the web will hopefully come across it.

That's excellent, I saw a reference to that version but I had forgotten to go back and read Maz's article on it. Neat to see the similarities!

12. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Wow, the quality of the knockoff is pretty disappointing as well.

13. madhatprime

madhatprime Call me: Ghostprime

News Credits:
    It really bothers me about all these people getting duped over Kos being sold as originals. Sometimes even reissues. Luckily it hasn't happened to me, but I did Buy a Reissue Sixshot as an original. Only paid $30 for it though, so I wasn't too upset got it for a damn good price either way.

I wish people would just make it obvious that its a KO.

14. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Excellent guide, I had no idea that had hit the market. The "Transformers" missing above the name/function bar on the bottom of the box front is an excellent giveaway, but what a disapponting shame that it's not even Smokecreen, but rather two-fingers up to the original toy, and two fingers up to anyone who was previously enjoying the novelty of the variant hybrid Mexican Smokescreen :( 

[​IMG]

I truly detest these KOs, like nothing else.

All the best
    Maz

15. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

The holes in the roof are a dead giveaway though. It's obviously a redeco'd prowl KO with a smokescreen front bumper.

Chris

16. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I hope someone reported this seller to Ebay. I'm really getting sick of these jerkoff little scammers. Anyone willing to profit by lying is a lowlife piece of shit.

17. scratchdesk

I sent him an annoyed message and he never replied. I have found 2 accounts that he posts on and cancels the auctions before they end. I don't understand what he is doing to be honest.

His ebay ids are:
    familyman205 - auctions | completed
    &
    justfrank422 - auctions | completed
    This is the only user I've seen with these so far.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have a few of the G1 KOs and most of them are good quality. This Smokescreen looks like the quality is @$$. I wonder why they quite trying so hard?

19. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Now they're imitating Hasbro even more. Lower the quality and keep the price the same.

I'll report this goon to Ebay later when I'm using my computer instead of my phone.