Transformers G1 Movie: Would you have accepted Ultra Magnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Let's say Hot Rod existed, but wasn't given the Luke Skywalker/hero's journey treatment.

Instead, Optimus passes the Matrix on to Ultra Magnus (who is characterized as being a little younger maybe, but definitely capable) and he is the new Autobot leader.

Granted, I didn't want anyone to replace Prime at the time (I was 10) and remember almost crying when he A) returned on screen and B) I found Powermaster Prime at the local Kay-Bee.

Would Magnus have been eventually accepted? Would Season 3 have been better with him in command? Would the outcry over Prime's death have occurred?

Prime

2. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Yeah, magnus would have, see seems like a good leader, but the bots would accept any leader that came a long in my opinion, but hot rod suits it better, its like a complete change, magnus is alot like prime, so it would be similar.

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I think Rodimus Prime (post Hot Rod) and Ultra Magnus had the same personality in certain respects. Both ended up trying to live up to Optimus Prime's record. They both were portrayed as newbs trying to learn about the matrix and learning to lead the Autobots. Basically they were shown as learning on the job.

It didn't make sense to me to have TWO guys with that same personality. While Hot Rod being the "chosen one" did provide the movie a very large twist in the plot, I think in the long run that Ultra Magnus would have been the better choice. Mostly because Hot Rod provided a different kind of personality that was needed in the franchise - the young, hot headed punk. Springer kinda took that role but he seemed more "pushy" than anything. I think the same effect could have been had with Ultra Magnus rather than with Optimus Prime - in fact Rodimus was probably one of the leaders that I cared about the least as far as leaders go.

Its basically gaining a new personality that makes having UM as the leader. Plus Daniel could hang around with Hot Rod in a more mature manner rather than hang out with Wheelie.

4. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

hot rod come rodimus prime - only special autobot leaders name prime - rodimus prime [hot rod] is my fave autobot

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Somehow I doubt it, though I have to admit I liked him better in Season 3 than in the movie. Sure, it'd been nice, even if only for the fact that he might have made for a leader whose personality and attitude in doing the job was different and rougher than Optimus' - that is, being more a soldier than a leader - but it still wouldn't have changed the fact that he's not Optimus Prime. And on that note...

Given how adamant a lot of fans are on this subject even today, I'd have to say the backlash probably would have happened anyway. People still get uptight about it even when they do this now in the various cartoons and such.

More than anything, though, I think Hot Rod as a character got a raw deal. There's potential there that ended up being wasted.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus would have worked, but I really think Rodimus Prime did an ok job. The way I see it not one bot could fill the void left by Optimus Prime so Rodimus did just fine.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Same outcry, probably. I know just as many people who hate Magnus as Rodimus. But, Ultra Magnus is one of my two favorite Autobots (the other being Ratchet) and I like when he's in a leadership role. See: Transformers Animated.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Ultra Magnus wouldn't have bothered me anywhere near as much as Hot Rod. Partly because Magnus was actually a fairly competent leader, but mostly because he wasn't responsible for Prime getting killed.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I would full-heartingly accept Ultra Magnus as a leader. I've had no problems accepting Ultra Magnus and Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime as Autobot leaders after Optimus's death in the 1986 movie, so...

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think it would have been any different, the writers would have just made him the same as Rodimus with a little less doubt

11. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Why do fans always give so much backlash over Prime's death? Yes it was only to introduce new toys, but I thought that was a big move and they kept him dead until the very end of Season 3. I never really mind Hot Rod/Rodimus but I probably would've preferred Ultra Magnus

12. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

If you have to ask, I don't think I can explain it to you.

13. retro.obsessed

retro.obsessed Banned

Ultra Magnus was more of a warrior. Would have been great. Hot Rod was too unsure of himself

14. Hauken

Hauken Member

I believe the outcry would've been less; but Rodimus could've been a better leader if they didn't make him doubt himself so much. I know that comes with a new job, especially an important one, but it gets repetitive.

15. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

I would have accepted Ultra Magnus whole heartedly. I always thought Hot Rod was more of the new Bumblebee type while Magnus was the "Prime" type.

Also personally I found Ultra Magnus fued with Galvatron far more entertaining than Rodimus' battles with him, especially in the old Marvel comics.

That said I still accept Rodmius Prime as a competent and worthy Autobot leader.

16. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

ultra magnus wouldn't be able to deal with that

17. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

I still say it seems a bit to convienent that Hot rod, the one who caused Primes death, was next in line for the Matrix. And the gun Megatron used to kill him just happened to be lieing there? ITS A CONSPIRACY! RODIMUS IS A TRATIOR! HE KILLED PRIME AND BETREYED MEGATRON! I BET HE EVEN ARANGED MAGNUSES DEATH TWO! Or mabey hes just a lukiley idiot, who knows?

18. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I Ultra Magnus would've been okay with. He's my favorite autobot!

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Most of us who were kids at the time hated Rodimus, at least I know my grade school did. I hated him for a good 20 years. We cool now, yo.

20. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I would've probably accepted it. He had a lot more in common with Prime anyway. But yeah, most kids still wouldn't have liked not having optimus there and it still would've led to the series getting cancelled.