Transformers G1 Headmaster Series...Where's Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFPrime, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the Japanese Headmaster Series is basically a season 4 minus the movie..Why are Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge in there? What's their explanation and all for just suddenly appearing? And where's Megatron go in that continuity?

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

I think it's minus the last few episodes of Season 4, not the movie.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Season 3 happened in the Japanese continuity, but was set in 2010, and Headmasters is set in like 2011. Rebirth never happened.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so how did they explain it to the people over there, since they didn't get the movie until some time after?

5. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    "This stuff happened. Got it? Okay, let's move on."

There was a quick recap at the beginning of Season 3 / TF 2010, though I'm not sure if it was the same as in the american version.

6. joshferrell

joshferrell Well-Known Member

weren't both Megatron and Galvatron different people in the Scramble city toy commercial?

7. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

sunbrow fault = they took out best parts of headmasters series for rebirth
    i like soundwave vs blaster and bull tf chased dainel in headmaster series

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Don't try to understand Headmaster. Just stop watching now. Thank me later.

I tried to watch the whole season recently. It was painful.

My biggest problem with it, is how they made this voltron transformers vs. transformers.

Also, some one want to explain to me the use of:
    - A flying train (Raiden)
    - A transformer that transforms into a city, but flies in city form in outter space? (Take your pick on the character)
    - Why the F they have to say head on every damn time they transform. Jesus, that drove me nuts.

There is so much wrong with that series, its frustrating. Was hoping I would like it.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    ... which isn't part of any continuity except its own.

Again - TF:TM "happened" in Japanese continuity, it just didn't get released there until later. They still got recaps of it in hobby magazines.

Season 3 (which featured Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge) was aired in Japan, "The Rebirth" didn't get aired and isn't part of Japanese continuity but still got dubbed and was released on Laserdisc and DVD.

How the hell is any of this Sunbow's "fault"?

10. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

they took out headmasters 's back story - how they came headmasters

11. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure what that last bit means, but Headmaster's is indeed frequently a horrible slog to get through as a series. It's just terribly dry and slow, the plot is boring where it even exists, for so much of its run and none of the characters really have any personality, life, or fun to them.

Masterforce is WORLDS more fun and has characters that are actually likable and interesting.

Flying commute.

Seriously though, flying/space trains are a japanse sci-fi tradition. You have to understand it's a country where trains are a MAJOR part of everyday life and have been forever. They are very, very popular there. As is Sci-fi anime. That the two are combined is just unavoidable.

He doesn't Transform into a city in Headmasters. He transforms into the Starship Maximus, and honestly his alt form looks as much like a starship as it does a city really.

Have you watched much older anime and japanese sci-fi shows in general? The calling out your "move/power" thing is a staple. Also it kinda just takes the place of yelling "Transform!" for them, which happens in a lot of TF shows.

-ZacWilliam, if I had to rate Japanese G1 it would be Masterforce B+, Headmasters C-, Victory B-

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Alternate option:

Watch the StarTV dub. Drink while watching. LAAAAAAAUGH.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It is explained a few episodes in. Not covered in the first few episodes, but there is an origin.

Short version - they were a race of small Cybertronians who left millions of years earlier to escape the war on Cybertron. Arriving on the planet Master, they eventually fashioned larger transforming bodies for themselves called "Transtectors" to enable them to carry out certain tasks. When Scorponok and the Decepticon Headmasters made their move, the five Autobot Headmasters set off for Cybertron to protect their world.

There's a whole episode dedicated to the origin. IMO works better than the US origin, tellingly almost all modern Headmasters have used the concept of the smaller robot being the mind and the body being a shell without the head.

14. bourdon

bourdon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, the show reminded me of Voltron. All the way to using the big sword to beat down shit. Except in this one they added the gimick of having to stabilize your feelings. Which was ******ed.

100% agree how personalityless it was.

I will try to eventually check this out.

I commute 4 hours a day on a train. LOL. To be honest, I never thought it would be cool if it flew. But like you said, it is a cultural thing that is lost on me.

How about flying scorpions in outter space? Sounds like a movie with Samuel L Jackson.

I watched a couple, like Dragonball (when it was actually out in Japan (best fried was Japanese growing up)). Kamehameha wasn't said at least 15 times and episode.

Also, in the original series, transform wasn't used nearly as much as head on.

Almost forgot the worst part of the show. The sound of Soundwave. I cringed the first time I heard him. At least in TF: Prime, they know better then to have him have a voice. His voice is epic. If you don't use it, don't use another.

I do realize this is also a cultural thing and all people in Japan always had Soundwave with a different voice. Maybe that is why Takara doesn't want to make him. He wasn't as Epic with the Japanese voice as he was with the US.

Man, I was just thinking, if you took a drink everytime they said headon, you would be drunk in the first 5 minutes of the show.

16. KikBlava

KikBlava Well-Known Member

Trust me, it'll be a lot more painful when you see Wheeljack in one episode of Transformers Victory. Oh yeah SPOILER ALERT: Wheeljack is in Victory for an episode because they didn't import the movie! I think its just accepted fact that the Japanese are really confusing when it comes to Transformers.

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Alternate explanation: That convoluted ressurrection/clone thing from Binaltech. Though that's something of a retcon.

Alternate alternate explanation: Minerva, who is also in that episode, fixed him.

18. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

jazz in japanese headmasters and prector in tf victory

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I always pretended that Wheeljack used the Matter Duplicator on himself and one of him went to Cybertron and hid out in his lab or something and the other stayed on Earth and got killed in the attack on Autobot City.
    It's the one from the lab that is seen in Masterforce.

20. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits: