Transformers G1 Blu-Ray Collection Plans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by kshaps, Oct 14, 2015.

1. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Does anyone know if G1 will ever be released as a bluray box set in the US? I'd love to have a boxset released in the shape of the Matrix or the Ark with all episodes and the movie included.

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    No plans right now. TBH, I really don't see how a Blu-Ray release would improve anything over the DVD, though. Maybe slightly more vibrant colors...but you run the risk of the episodes looking waaaay too different compared to the original broadcast and what you saw on your 20" television back in 1985.

3. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out!

News Credits:
    Why is wanting to see the episodes in better-than-broadcast-quality a BAD thing? Why would anyone want to watch fuzzy, grainy, 525-line NTSC dupes of, say, The Twilight Zone, when I can watch the entire set in spiffing high-definition?

The main reason G1 isn't on Blu-Ray is simply because the costs involved would totally outweigh the expected revenues. You'd have to go right back to the original tapes, re-scan them from scratch, re-master, fix any drop-outs or dirt and so on.

That's a lot of man hours and investment right there, and it's not as if too many people are clamouring for this in the first place.

Besides which, unlike a lot of old material, extra sharpness and detail won't make a huge difference to the viewing experience. With the exception of the painted backgrounds, the's not a lot of potential extra detail for a remaster to bring out. If anything, the various animation mistakes and short-cuts would be made even more obvious.

The only way to make this viable is if there's a lot of demand from TV stations for this to be in HD, and also streaming services. The Blu-Ray sales of Star Trek: TNG actually made a massive loss, but the main money-maker there was in streaming it on Netflix, and selling TV rights to SyFy or whoever.

I see that a Blu-Ray set of The X-Files has just been announced - but you can bet your bottom dollar that the primary motivation there was online streaming, rather than physical sales.

So while it might be possible to have G1 on Blu-Ray, various factors play a part in the worthiness of such a project - is there a demand for it physically, is there a demand for it digitally, how much will it cost to remaster and would it benefit the viewing experience?

• Like Like x 1
  4. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You answered your own question.

5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just want a Blu-ray of the 86 movie in America.

6. monish

monish Not a Negatron!

News Credits:
    THIS!

7. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

Which DVD set is considered to be the best anyway? I've got the old Rhino season sets.

I'd love a bluray set, for no other reason than because it takes up less shelf space.

8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The old Rhino sets add in "enhanced" sound effects that sound horrible...all in the name of 5.1 surround sound (when that was a big thing).

Opt for the later releases if you can. I, however, already owned the Rhino sets when the later sets were released, so I chose not to double-dip. That and I can see myself whizzing past the camera in one of the Botcon documentaries on one of the sets.

9. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Unless you have a player that can play the Australian blu-Ray version.

10. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Actually, the Australian edition worked on my PS3 fine, just the exclusive features had to be played on my Region Free Player.

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    That's the thing - what resolution do you think those tapes are?

12. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I suspect the upcoming relaunch and inevitable future box-set releases had something to do with it.

13. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I for one wish and dream for the G1 series on blu ray. I would definitely buy it. Unfortunately it may never happen. It is possible, but i don't see it. At least not anytime soon. I do think for the most part if it was done. It would look better than some think.

I have the Australian version of the 86 Movie and I love it! Imo the picture is crisp and clear. Colors are vibrant. I would even say it looks more like a recent animation. My kid's and wife can even tell that the picture looks better than the Sony dvd release. And i say it truly does. That is the only version I watch. I never watch the Sony dvd even though it has more features and bonus stuff. This version is perfect, it has some grains and flaws in it. But how beautiful it looks overall, the flaws for me are not really noticeable. I highly recommend the blu ray version. My ps4 plays it with no issues at all.

MTMTE would look pretty nice in blu ray along with many other episodes. I know it wouldn't be perfect and have flaws, grains, trash, whatever. But I wouldn't care one bit. The current dvd's are fuzzy. But I guess I'm maybe in the minority on that aspect of it. I do hope it happens sooner than later.

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I think its a matter of when, not if. With 3 more movies in the works and a rabid fanbase improved quality G1 stuff will be available.

It may just jump straight to 4K processing and skip bluray though.

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I think the best justification for a Blu-Ray release would be to finally compile a definitive, ideal version of everything.

Sharpest quality image. Best possible sound. Fixed animation/coloring errors. Original sound effects. New interviews and featurettes. All the old ones, too. Better-than-VHS, archival quality toy commercials with removed facial-blurring. All the PSAs. All the commercial break animations. Continuous multi-episode playing. Storyboards. Scripts. Image galleries. Commentaries. The uncensored movie, ffs.

All in one, neat, top-of-the-line set.

OMFG SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

16. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YES.

17. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would absolutely love that to happen. In fact, I kinda need it to happen!

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Unless they somehow manage to track down the broadcast film masters (which are lost), I consider the TV show on blu-ray to be so much of a pipe dream I'd sooner see Hasbro reissue the Victory toyline.

19. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know this is stupid, I don't even care if it's HD or not. I just want them in Blu Ray so they fit in with the movie, stupid I know. Plus I was planning on buying a copy that wasn't signed anyway.

20. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well if you don't care about picture and just just want them on Blu-ray you could get a Blu-ray burner and make them yourself like this guy did his toon Disney and ed edd and eddy shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1MLz5bxeM