Transformers G1: Awakening now available for Android

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by cylence, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cylence

cylence Always the quiet one..

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Hot dog!! I gave up the iPhone for a Droid and this was one ap I was disappointed to find out was not available. I only had the free sample on the iPhone, I'll get the full version on here.

3. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $2.99? $1 more than the iPhone version.

No demo yet either.

4. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't think this is an official release. Few reasons I think of it that way is...
    1) Glu Mobile has not mentioned such a thing.
    2) That title screen has Movie TF Font instead of G1 Font.
    3) The game's only available on 3rd party unofficial websites.

I think this must be a port by a fan.

I'll investigate more before posting the news.

5. simond

simond Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks official to me

6. cylence

cylence Always the quiet one..

News Credits:
    Actually, they have via their twitter account:
    https://twitter.com/glumobile

Can't comment about that.

Actually, it's directly on the android marketplace, published by Glu Mobile, so unless someone has stolen their identity and published all of their android games..

7. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found it in the market after reading this.

8. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    This is great news for Transformers fans as well as Android fans. As an Android app developer myself, I find it good to see more people taking the OS seriously.

$2.99 is a little steep for a mobile game though :( 

9. Laffa Taffa

Laffa Taffa Brawl

Boycott Glu

I was probably one of the first users to download Transformers Cybertoy and well as G1 Awakening for the iphone/ipod and would like to express my opinion of both applications.

G1 awakening is a very solid app indeed and i often play the game even though there are no new levels of any sort. It is still quite fun to play. I wish there were some new updates as far as characters go and levels to add to the fun.

Now, let me get to the real gripe I have with the company named Glu. Transformers Cybertoy was one of the 1st apps that I was really excited about being it would have Transformers that you can hit a button and they would transform for you, take a pose, or even dance for you(Bumblebee). So far so good, well Glu has not updated the cybertoy app since december of last year 2009. Some of the transformers are very poorly designed and when they transform look very shotty. Sideswipe was massacred by not given any hands and his blades on his arms are now just giant scissors instead. Ironhide and Grindor's transformations are crappy to say the least. Truthfully the only transformer on the app that is good is Bumblebee. Optimus Prime's blade is upside down and they don't even have him retract his hand when the blade appears.

I have personally emailed one of their employees who is like their PR person. I have asked them if there are any plans on updating the app with new transformers and he has expressed that they have no plans to add more. He said they were going to do some bug fixes for it, but I have not seen anything since I have spoken to the gentleman.

My thoughts are that this company is just out to make a quick buck and I am deeply pissed off about this. They have created an app for customers to enjoy... they should have known that people will keep wanting more. There are 8 transformers total but like I said people want more and an actual quality job done to the designs of them.

10. TF@TM

TF@TM Lucky Draw Collector

News Credits:
    I work within the mobile entertainment industry as a developer (non-game) so I'd like to comment on a few things ...

The OS is taken very seriously within the mobile industry. Android is seen as the growth OS and is expected to be the biggest platform on the market in a 4-6 years time though its App / Widget store will be changing as no company is yet to make decent profit from direct app sales, it's always from other charges.

$2.99 is within the upper norms of App game prices and is still a lot cheaper than the tradition mobile game market which was, on average globally, $6-$7 a game retail. You also have to remember how much it costs in developer, QA, sales and marketing time for a company to produce the game. Mobile development can get tricky due to the sheer number of different mobile devices.

Welcome to business my friend. Every professional company is out to make money. Its the whole point of trading. The mobile market is one of the hardest markets to break into and make money long term as a company. Glu themselves have been in deep financial trouble for several years with plenty of high-ups leaving and else where. Over the last few years a high percentage of mobile game development studios have gone under or been swallowed up by the big players.

The cost of developing add-ons to existing games and giving them away for free is normally not worth the companies time when those developers could be producing new products. But fixes, yes those (if the game has sold enough) they may produce, but if they do not have a big enough user base then they will not bother. Same for app updates in general.

There are actually some very very good mobile games developers out there. I was talking to a few based out of Germany and Poland at the end of last year who were working on some ground-breaking stuff for the mobile market, the problem was the app store, in that case Apple and the vodafone360, were not interested in the apps as they only wanted basic ones, and so the game studio had to switch back from innovating to just churning out the same old stuff. Its a major shame.

My point is in many cases its not the developers that are the problems but a mix of the corporate strategy (new customers over existing clients, but that is the same in most industries) and the actual app / widget stores policies themselves (in the case of Apple) which are stifling creativity.

Until a model has been devised that mobile entertainment providers can use to make profit on the back of mobile apps things will continue this way. Once they do, or the companies have been swallowed up by a larger, more general mobile entertainment body so they can spread their portfolio, then we are all more likely to see not only the cost of games reduce but an update in free updates and downloadable content.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Just becuase you want more characters doesn't mean they have to provide them. A phone app isn't supposed to be a glorious masterpiece especially in regards to the price of said product.

I think some people are dillusional. But that's just me.

12. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just so you know.. This game that is released isn't the cybertoy.. This is a strategy game like shining force. It's a good game for $3.. Kept me entertained fora little bit.. Definitely worth the download if you havent' beaten it already elsewhere.

13. FatMick Prime

FatMick Prime Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

News Credits:
    Can't find it in the Market. Maybe my HTC Hero is not good enough to play it?

14. dragonfall5

dragonfall5 Well-Known Member

I'm on an HTC Hero running Android 2.1 and can't find it either. I'm also in the UK, so maybe that's the reason?

15. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't see it either in the market.

Always wanted to play this too.

16. starscream 2005

starscream 2005 it's megatron, retreat!!!

dl

i downloaded that game for my bb storm. and i thought it stunk.! very boring. not fun at all. and i am a hugh g1 fan. if i want to play a g1 game, i play rotf with g1 skins.

17. Laffa Taffa

Laffa Taffa Brawl

captian obvious thank you for telling me something i already know. if you took the time to actually read my rant, then you would know i already said in the 1st paragraph that i thought G1 awakening is a good game. i was referring to cybertoy which is another app that Glu made and is only out to make a quick buck.

18. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    YEEEHAW! This is hands-down one of my favorite games of all time. I love turn-based-strategy games (cut my teeth on Shining Force), and this is FILLED with G1 Goodness.

I became addicted to this app in the crap-graphics "mobile" version, and with allll the weaknesses the platform imposed, it was still a great game!

The ONE thing I regretted about updating to my Android phone was that there was no port of "G1 Awakening"

Now there is. With pretty graphics. Can't wait to install and play!

D/L

19. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...wasn't that game free? I remember back when I was using my iPod touch (before I gave it to my wife and went to a Nano) having that app and I never spent money on an app once.

20. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dear Captain Combative,
    Oh sorry didn't understand your rant. Based on how you made it sound like your gripe of buying it was the cyber toy.. Which I can also say was free when I got it a few months ago on my ipod. Sorry for being confused with your rant against glu, and my associating it with the topic of G1 Awakening.

That being said.. This response makes me glad that I didn't apparently take enough time to understand you.

Sincerely,
    Captain Ob(li)vious